You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jamie McGrath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:47pm
Best comparison would probably be Conor Hourihane. Excellent set piece taker, great crosser of a ball but tends to go missing a bit in open play. In the Scottish Cup semi final at the weekend he was invisible for much of the game but then popped up with a great ball in for Conor McCarthy to score. Similar to Hourihane he'd be best used in a midfield three with two more defensive midfielders doing the more physical stuff for him.

Well worth a look though if more senior players pull out of the June camp.
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Best comparison would probably be Conor Hourihane. Excellent set piece taker, great crosser of a ball but tends to go missing a bit in open play. In the Scottish Cup semi final at the weekend he was invisible for much of the game but then popped up with a great ball in for Conor McCarthy to score. Similar to Hourihane he'd be best used in a midfield three with two more defensive midfielders doing the more physical stuff for him.

Is Hourihane meant to be a good comparison? 

Any potential midfielder coming into this Ireland team, I don't need to hear the word "invisible". Enough of them. 

I won't hold my breath so. 

Edited by Banjaxed - 12 May 2021 at 11:01pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Any potential midfielder coming into this Ireland team, I don't need to hear the word "invisible". Enough of them. 

He’s an attacking midfielder in the mold of Kevin De Bruyne.

That better? 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

He’s an attacking midfielder in the mold of Kevin De Bruyne.

That better? 

How about an advanced mid who doesn't go missing in games and strives to be on the ball as often as possible. I'd be happy with that for starters. 

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:17pm

Not saying Hourihane is a positive or a negative comparison...just that they're similar players. For a 24 year old St. Mirren player to be compared to a Premier League/Championship player is probably a compliment. But if you're expecting him to be the next Wes Hoolahan you're probably going to be disappointed.

As you say, don't hold your breath - but he's probably worth a look in an Ireland squad at some point and he will move on to a bigger club than St Mirren in time.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 12:43am
Linked with Peterborough, Blackpool and Aberdeen according to this: https://www.buzz.ie/sport/kenny-give-jamie-mcgrath-danny-24182010

Would be great if he got a Championship move.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 9:20am
Aberdeen sounds the best of that bunch

I love beer gardens
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 7:36pm
Mad stat that he's only the 2nd player from Meath to be capped at Senior level the other being Darragh Lenihan 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Mad stat that he's only the 2nd player from Meath to be capped at Senior level the other being Darragh Lenihan 
Absolutely that for a big county like Meath! Even more so is that Lenihans was only involved in friendlies too. No competitive caps I think. Nice to see McGrath get a run tonight it was well deserved.
davekoolhill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekoolhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:42pm
Interesting stat that. 

Anyone know how many from Mayo have senior international caps?
Twitter: DaveOGrady1
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:48pm
Ollie Conmy was apparently the last Mayo man to win a senior cap, he won a few in the 1960s. Nothing since then, although Conor O'Malley played for Ireland in a non-cap game under O'Neill a few years ago and was in some extended squads around that time.

Kilbane of course was the "Mayoman" in the squad for a number of years, but was born in England. Cascarino was another who qualified through a Mayo connection.

Edited by You Tell Me - 03 Jun 2021 at 9:49pm
davekoolhill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekoolhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 9:52pm

Ollie Conmy was apparently the last Mayo man to win a senior cap, he won a few in the 1960s. Nothing since then, although Conor O'Malley played for Ireland in a non-cap game under O'Neill a few years ago and was in some extended squads around that time.

Kilbane of course was the "Mayoman" in the squad for a number of years, but was born in England. Cascarino was another who qualified through a Mayo connection.

Wow, didn't realise the Mayo representation was so low. 
Twitter: DaveOGrady1
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:11pm
Football is a minority sport in Mayo relative to Gaelic Football. Even rugby seems to have more of a footing these days and Mayo has produced a few rugby internationals in the last 20 years. 

Noe Baba was the big hope for a long time but it didn't work out. Plays his football in the lower divisions in Germany now.
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:24pm

Football is a minority sport in Mayo relative to Gaelic Football. Even rugby seems to have more of a footing these days and Mayo has produced a few rugby internationals in the last 20 years. 

Noe Baba was the big hope for a long time but it didn't work out. Plays his football in the lower divisions in Germany now.
Football in Mayo is in good health...defo way above rugby anyhow. The Mayo league had to add another division for the coming season due to the high number of teams entered and they run alongside  Gaa competitions. As for international players the county has had a good number at underage over the years especially in the girls teams.

Edited by ripbomb - 03 Jun 2021 at 10:25pm
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Football in Mayo is in good health...defo way above rugby anyhow. The Mayo league had to add another division for the coming season due to the high number of teams entered and they run alongside  Gaa competitions. As for international players the county has had a good number at underage over the years especially in the girls teams.
Yeah certainly wouldn’t say that there isn’t much football in Mayo as they produce good few LOI players and seen an interesting Mayo LOI potential 11 at the start of this year.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 5:15pm
Wigan have a bid turned down for Jamie McGrath; Rotherham have a bid turned down for Conor McCarthy: https://www.the42.ie/jamie-mcgrath-5503988-Jul2021/.

Wigan finished 20th in League One last season.

Pretty underwhelmed by this TBH.

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Wigan have a bid turned down for Jamie McGrath; Rotherham have a bid turned down for Conor McCarthy: https://www.the42.ie/jamie-mcgrath-5503988-Jul2021/.

Better off staying where he is than going to Wigan anyway.
I love beer gardens
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Probably a reflection of where people view the standard of the SPL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
  Share Topic