You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Andrew Omobamidele

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 12:45am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

We have a few of young players as mentioned above but what we need is premier league quality players. 

I'd say Collins, oshea, egan and omobamadele give us some good options in the CB position and look premier league players albeit a bit early for some.

Left and right back has been our strongest areas for a couple of years but I feel Doherty and Stevens look like shadows of their former selves and we have no real quality back ups. Coleman of course is our best player but time is not on his side.

Midfield is a shambles, molumby can't get a game, knight has lost form pretty badly, hourihane and Hendrick are our best options but they are both poor for years neither of these players look premier league quality anymore

Forwards.... connolly looks the only one that might prove to be premier league quality.

I think the reality is we may have to eat a lot of sh*t in the next 3 or 4 years. The hope for me is in the next 4/5/6 through sheer numbers we will get a nice few of these lads develop into top flight players. 

Jason Knight is gone off the boil a while now and he needs a well earned break. He is all go and playing that way week in week out twice a week at 19 it’s bound to catch up with him. I wouldn’t judge him too harshly on that. Hendrick it’s hard to know what to make and Hourihane we know his limitations quirks etc.

Actually the summer break is no harm for Ireland certainly for the likes of Knight. Gives some of the players most of June and some of July off a much needed break for the injured lads etc and will also give plenty of the younger lads a chance to make a mark pre season at club level with plenty senior players on international duty. 

Edited by kevin100 - 07 Apr 2021 at 12:47am
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

We have a few of young players as mentioned above but what we need is premier league quality players. 

I'd say Collins, oshea, egan and omobamadele give us some good options in the CB position and look premier league players albeit a bit early for some.

Left and right back has been our strongest areas for a couple of years but I feel Doherty and Stevens look like shadows of their former selves and we have no real quality back ups. Coleman of course is our best player but time is not on his side.

Midfield is a shambles, molumby can't get a game, knight has lost form pretty badly, hourihane and Hendrick are our best options but they are both poor for years neither of these players look premier league quality anymore

Forwards.... connolly looks the only one that might prove to be premier league quality.

I think the reality is we may have to eat a lot of sh*t in the next 3 or 4 years. The hope for me is in the next 4/5/6 through sheer numbers we will get a nice few of these lads develop into top flight players. 

Jason Knight is gone off the boil a while now and he needs a well earned break. He is all go and playing that way week in week out twice a week at 19 it’s bound to catch up with him. I wouldn’t judge him too harshly on that. Hendrick it’s hard to know what to make and Hourihane we know his limitations quirks etc.

Actually the summer break is no harm for Ireland certainly for the likes of Knight. Gives some of the players most of June and some of July off a much needed break for the injured lads etc and will also give plenty of the younger lads a chance to make a mark pre season at club level with plenty senior players on international duty. 

It's you that needs a break, Kevin. Allow up to six more years of shambles before this Golden Generation delivers? You're extending their apprenticeship until mid-late twenties? Good post, Left Foot. 

How exactly by stating 18-21 year olds it might be 4-5 years at least before they start to hit their peak?  

Edited by kevin100 - 07 Apr 2021 at 8:28am
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 10:12am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It felt a bit like Farke was doing that exactly because he knew the cameras were on him. Trying to be like Guardiola it seemed. To be fair I'm sure he had something he wanted to get across and Omobamidele should probably take it as a complement that he wanted to focus on him in particular out of the 11 players in the team.

Its when you make a mistake and you get ignored by the manager that you need to worry...i'd see it as positive that Farke wanted to go through something with him in detail after the game.  Thought Omobamidele looked very assured last night for an 18 year old, not exactly under pressure admittedly.   
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 10:14am

Midfielders going through a poor patch, Knight i wouldn't worry about, ridiculous amount of game time in a struggling team where he does the running for about three players.

Keep an eye out for Jack Taylor Peterborough.  If he keeps going way he's going he'll be a premier league player within next couple of seasons.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 10:40am
Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

Midfielders going through a poor patch, Knight i wouldn't worry about, ridiculous amount of game time in a struggling team where he does the running for about three players.

It's why I think a move away from Derby could be ideal for him. Work with a better manager who'll try and develop more of your game before all you're known for is the lad that runs around a lot.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 11:39am
You're most likely right in some of those cases - Manning, O'Connor, Coventry and Travers. Based on their careers to date you'd predict Championship or League 1 at best for those guys at this point.

Too early to tell for Molumby, Parrott and Idah - particularly Parrott and Idah, they're both teenagers (well Idah has just turned 20) who have a good bit of first team experience, it seems very unfair to write them off at this point. Personally I think Idah will come good in a couple of years. There are not many centre forwards his age playing first team football at a high level, I'd like to see him go on loan rather than make sporadic appearances for Norwich in the EPL next season.

You also left out half a dozen other players who are probably more highly rated than all of the above currently - O'Shea/Knight/Collins/Bazunu/Collins/Kelleher

We probably haven't had a full team of established premier league players since the early 1990s, maybe even the late 80s, we don't necessarily need that to have a decent international team. Half a team of good quality top division players mixed with some lower end premier league players and a few better Championship players has gotten us a long way in the past. I can see us getting back to that within two or three years.

Edited by You Tell Me - 07 Apr 2021 at 11:42am
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 11:47am
I'm more confident about our future goalkeeping and central defensive options and the level that they will play at, than our left/right back, midfield and forward options.

Midfield I would say knight and Smallbone are our best bet at premier league quality.

Forward, we have two teenagers playing mens football in Parrott and Idah. I think the optics that they are playing mens football as teenagers gets missed as they are not scoring hattricks every game. The could be stuck in u23s or even u20s.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 12:00pm
Great stuff that he is playing and impressing. With Norwich all but guaranteed to win the league, plenty of more opportunities could come his way. Be amazing if he is keeping his place in the PL next season. 

Omobamidele, O'Shea, Nathan Collins coming through, Egan a good age, looking like we are not going to be so short on CBs. 

notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 12:01pm

You're most likely right in some of those cases - Manning, O'Connor, Coventry and Travers. Based on their careers to date you'd predict Championship or League 1 at best for those guys at this point.

Too early to tell for Molumby, Parrott and Idah - particularly Parrott and Idah, they're both teenagers (well Idah has just turned 20) who have a good bit of first team experience, it seems very unfair to write them off at this point. Personally I think Idah will come good in a couple of years. There are not many centre forwards his age playing first team football at a high level, I'd like to see him go on loan rather than make sporadic appearances for Norwich in the EPL next season.

You also left out half a dozen other players who are probably more highly rated than all of the above currently - O'Shea/Knight/Collins/Bazunu/Collins/Kelleher

We probably haven't had a full team of established premier league players since the early 1990s, maybe even the late 80s, we don't necessarily need that to have a decent international team. Half a team of good quality top division players mixed with some lower end premier league players and a few better Championship players has gotten us a long way in the past. I can see us getting back to that within two or three years.

Sorry, this is complete nonsense. The team that played Spain in 2002:

Given (Newcastle, finished 4th in the PL)
Gary Kelly (Leeds, finished 5th)
Staunton  (Villa, finished 8th)
Breen (Coventry, Championship)
Harte (Leeds, finished 5th)
Finnan (Fulham, finished 13th)
Kinsella (Charlton, finished 9th)
Holland (Ipswich, relegated, played European football that season)
Kilbane (Sunderland, stayed up)
Duff (Blackburn, finished 10th)
Keane (On loan at Leeds the season before the WC, moved to Spurs after)

Subs:
Quinn (Sunderland)
Cunningham (Wimbeldon, Championship)
Connolly (Wimbeldon, Championship)

I don't necessarily disagree that you need a full team of PL talent in order to qualify for tournaments and compete like but the 2002 team was full of top players
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 12:13pm
I have posted previously about the 02 team here. They pretty much fit the bill of what I'm describing actually.

There was a spine of established premier league quality, and the rest of the squad was filled by relegation strugglers and Championship players like Breen, Connolly, Morrison etc. That standard of squad is achievable for us in five years I'd say, other than we probably won't have a Roy Keane or Robbie Keane type standout player in there unfortunately.

What's most interesting is the various ages at which the 23 players in that squad developed. I'd say a lot of ybig posters would have looked at 21 or 22 year old Mark Kinsella, as an example, and said that's a player who will never be good enough for us. He had achieved a lot less than say Jayson Molumby at a similar age. Matt Holland would be another example.

Edited by You Tell Me - 07 Apr 2021 at 12:16pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 12:14pm

It's you that needs a break, Kevin. Allow up to six more years of shambles before this Golden Generation delivers? You're extending their apprenticeship until mid-late twenties? Good post, Left Foot. 

How exactly by stating 18-21 year olds it might be 4-5 years at least before they start to hit their peak?  
You said 4/5/6 years but, ok, I conveniently choose the longest scenario. It's my unpopular but consistent opinion the peaks of Molumby, Parrott, Idah, Manning, O'Connor, Coventry, Travers etc will see them outside the PL or even the Championship. I'm less optimistic than you they'll take us to a better level and prove better than current players they will replace. 

Okay tbf I don’t necessarily disagree with the names you mention. I think Idah still has huge potential to be a top flight striker but the rest of them yes they will struggle to carve out PL careers. Molumby included who I still have hopes for but the jury is slightly out.

Also by then you will get the 03,04,05 crop of young players coming into it so hopefully we will get players from those year groups showing promise. 

I was talking more so in terms of needing PL players of course we need them but I suspect it for the next few years bleak. 

Edited by kevin100 - 07 Apr 2021 at 12:29pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 12:49pm

I have posted previously about the 02 team here. They pretty much fit the bill of what I'm describing actually.

There was a spine of established premier league quality, and the rest of the squad was filled by relegation strugglers and Championship players like Breen, Connolly, Morrison etc. That standard of squad is achievable for us in five years I'd say, other than we probably won't have a Roy Keane or Robbie Keane type standout player in there unfortunately.

What's most interesting is the various ages at which the 23 players in that squad developed. I'd say a lot of ybig posters would have looked at 21 or 22 year old Mark Kinsella, as an example, and said that's a player who will never be good enough for us. He had achieved a lot less than say Jayson Molumby at a similar age. Matt Holland would be another example.

Looking at transfermarkts current stats 19 Irish player have played PL football this year. What’s damning is only 3 of them are aged between 23-28. Egan Robinson and Dunne. We have 6 under 22 and 10 players 29 or over. Surely the middle aged lads should be higher and the younger ages lower?

The way it’s going we could easily be waiting until Caoimhin Kelleher turns 23 in November before we have a player between 23-28 in a PL squad unless Manning goes up with Swansea or a player is signed. That’s what I mean by it may get worse looking before it gets better. 

Yes for sure we have no idea who will end up where. Hourihane was playing L2 football in his early 20s as were Egan Stevens Randolph I think too. 

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 1:00pm

Germany 1-0 Ireland
Saturday, 2nd September 2006
Given(Newcastle)
Carr(Newcastle)
O'Brien(Portsmouth)
Dunne(Manchester City)
Kilbane(Everton)
Finnan(Liverpool)
Reid(Blackburn)
O'Shea(Manchester United)
Duff(Newcastle)
Doyle(Reading)
Keane(Tottenham hotspur)
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Germany 1-0 Ireland
Given(Newcastle)
Carr(Newcastle)
O'Brien(Portsmouth)
Dunne(Manchester City)
Kilbane(Everton)
Finnan(Liverpool)
Reid(Blackburn)
Duff(Newcastle)
Doyle(Reading)
Keane(Tottenham hotspur)
Is that the last time it has happened?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 1:20pm

Germany 1-0 Ireland
Given(Newcastle)
Carr(Newcastle)
O'Brien(Portsmouth)
Dunne(Manchester City)
Kilbane(Everton)
Finnan(Liverpool)
Reid(Blackburn)
Duff(Newcastle)
Doyle(Reading)
Keane(Tottenham hotspur)

Incidentally the subs in that game were Alan O'Brien, Aiden McGeady and Stephen Elliott.

I mean we can usually put out an 11 that are premier league players if we want to, we could do that this season even - Randolph, Egan, Clark, Coleman, Doherty, Stevens, McCarthy, Hendrick, Brady, Connolly, Robinson would be a 3-5-2 of players that have played a reasonable amount in the league this season. But that's not really the point I'm making though, the issue is that people are suggesting that if, say, Jayson Molumby's level is ultimately a high end Championship player that's no use to us - that's not the case, we have always used Championship level players to good effect and been relatively successful while doing so. 

If we can get a spine of a team playing at a good level consistently in the premier league (or an equivalent European league) we can build the team around that without needing every player to go on to be a 10 season EPL stalwart.

Incidentally, if you have the info, I would be interested to know when was the last time we played an international match with all players including used subs coming from Premier League teams. Not to make a point or anything, just more out of curiousity?

Edited by You Tell Me - 07 Apr 2021 at 1:21pm
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Germany 1-0 Ireland
Given(Newcastle)
Carr(Newcastle)
O'Brien(Portsmouth)
Dunne(Manchester City)
Kilbane(Everton)
Finnan(Liverpool)
Reid(Blackburn)
Duff(Newcastle)
Doyle(Reading)
Keane(Tottenham hotspur)
Is that the last time it has happened?
Yep, that came up here before. I'm pretty sure it's right, open to correction on it.

Germany 1-0 Ireland
Given(Newcastle)
Carr(Newcastle)
O'Brien(Portsmouth)
Dunne(Manchester City)
Kilbane(Everton)
Finnan(Liverpool)
Reid(Blackburn)
Duff(Newcastle)
Doyle(Reading)
Keane(Tottenham hotspur)

Incidentally the subs in that game were Alan O'Brien, Aiden McGeady and Stephen Elliott.

I mean we can usually put out an 11 that are premier league players if we want to, we could do that this season even - Randolph, Egan, Clark, Coleman, Doherty, Stevens, McCarthy, Hendrick, Brady, Connolly, Robinson would be a 3-5-2 of players that have played a reasonable amount in the league this season. But that's not really the point I'm making though, the issue is that people are suggesting that if, say, Jayson Molumby's level is ultimately a high end Championship player that's no use to us - that's not the case, we have always used Championship level players to good effect and been relatively successful while doing so. 

If we can get a spine of a team playing at a good level consistently in the premier league (or an equivalent European league) we can build the team around that without needing every player to go on to be a 10 season EPL stalwart.

Incidentally, if you have the info, I would be interested to know when was the last time we played an international match with all players including used subs coming from Premier League teams. Not to make a point or anything, just more out of curiousity?

Should be able to put that together, let me get back to you
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 2:26pm
Looking through most half-decent international teams at the moment you don't need anything close to a team of Premier League regulars to be of a good standard.

If we had one defender, one midfielder and one striker who were playing regularly and were one of the main men for their clubs, then we would be laughing.

What we lack along with quality, is a player or two who is used to bearing responsibility at club level, i.e. a Robbie Keane who popped up with goals for Spurs whenever called upon. 

All of our current squad are completely dispensable at club level. Would any of their club teams be worse off if they sold one of our players, or if they got injured?

It pains me to say it, but it's two or three players of Declan Rice's standard, or James Maddison, Patrick Bamford etc who we really need.

Decent higher-midtable players who are used to pressure at club level and who improve the performance levels of the stop-gap players around them. 

Look at some of the sh*te that has lined out for Wales alongside Bale and Ramsey over the years.

If you added those three players to our current squad, we'd have a decent chance of qualifying for competitions regularly. 

Edited by Maccatacca - 07 Apr 2021 at 2:33pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 2:50pm
Look at Scotland now.  We were on a par with them in 2015 but as our older players have got worse their 93 to 98 born players have come through at Liverpool man utd and villa etc with a decent supporting cast from Celtic etc. 

Edited by Baldrick - 07 Apr 2021 at 2:50pm
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
  Share Topic