You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luxembourg away, 14th November 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 52>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Slightly missing the point there.  They may all be flying to different spots, but the FAI could still have arranged for them to fly together Club Class, board the plane first, not leave them waiting for their baggage etc.

Very few flights out of there would have 'club class', I'm not aware of any alternative to then picking their bags up themselves.

Been happening for years, would often see players on Ryanair back to the UK after a game. 
Sponsored Links

dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Really enjoyed that trip, good to be back! Stayed in Frankfurt on Saturday night, thought it was a bit of kip to be honest. 

FF is renowned in Germany as being a kip, particularly the area round the station. It's no Gelsenkirchen mind LOL

Edited by dangere_here - 16 Nov 2021 at 3:47pm
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 3:39pm

Luxembourg was a great trip, topped off with a great result. The future of Irish football is looking brighter that it has been in a long time.  Met a few Irish fans for whom Luxembroug was their first away trip.  They'll have been encouraged to make this the first of many.

Had a bit of a surprise on my flight home though.  How many players can you spot in this photo?  What's the story with them having to make their own way home? You'd think the FAI would have flown them home together on Club Class, with priority boarding, and their luggage sorted for them, etc. but no.  Instead they queued up at Luxembourg Airport check-in with us plebs, were seated separately throughout the plane, and waited for their baggage at Heathrow with the rest of us.
Back in the day the players would have had a pint and the craic with the fans in the airport.....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 3:35pm

Luxembourg was a great trip, topped off with a great result. The future of Irish football is looking brighter that it has been in a long time.  Met a few Irish fans for whom Luxembroug was their first away trip.  They'll have been encouraged to make this the first of many.

Had a bit of a surprise on my flight home though.  How many players can you spot in this photo?  What's the story with them having to make their own way home? You'd think the FAI would have flown them home together on Club Class, with priority boarding, and their luggage sorted for them, etc. but no.  Instead they queued up at Luxembourg Airport check-in with us plebs, were seated separately throughout the plane, and waited for their baggage at Heathrow with the rest of us.

My daughter said that some people were telling them to put their masks on.
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

Any links to the highlights ? Could find one on YouTube

FAI channel on youtube has them up since last night
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 3:11pm
Was great to be back. 
Thought it was a nice enough city, but there's not too much going on so I wouldn't be in a rush to go back. 
We met a local couple on Friday that suggested Urban, but on our way there discovered a club that was open till 3. Was lively enough too. 
Bus back to the city was good after the game too. 

Direct Ryanair flight home yesterday evening a lad took ill. Stewards were giving him CPR in the aisle and even had the defibrillator out as a precaution but thankfully he woke up eventually. Hopefully he's alright now. 
The dark side.. And the light
limerick lad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limerick lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:58pm
Enjoyable trip overall , result always helps. As others have said not much to see in Luxembourg but locals were fine and atmosphere in the away end was very good.

I did the Belgium v Estonia game as well on the Saturday night. Boring enough game I thought but Carrasco did score a lovely goal. The stadium is a right kip , horrible fences and running track around it. 

just hit the fecking thing
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:36pm
Slightly missing the point there.  They may all be flying to different spots, but the FAI could still have arranged for them to fly together Club Class, board the plane first, not leave them waiting for their baggage etc.

tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Really enjoyed that trip, good to be back! Stayed in Frankfurt on Saturday night, thought it was a bit of kip to be honest. 

Not much going on in Frankfurt. We stayed in dusseldorf on Saturday night and left the pub (before closing time) at 5:30am Sunday morning. Got a train to Luxembourg at half 10 which was a bit of a miracle. 

Dusseldorf or Cologne would be better craic than most of the other cities around that area of Germany but the Altstadt in dusseldorf is buzzing at the weekends. 
Let Christy Take It.
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Not all players are going to the same spot. Makes sense for them to have their flights paid for rather than hire a bunch of jets. 

Well said GretatheRam 

Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 1:55pm

Not all players are going to the same spot. Makes sense for them to have their flights paid for rather than hire a bunch of jets. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 1:02pm
Buzz wasn't that bad, we found a small nightclub that was good craic, few other bags pretty busy with food atmosphere. Was much better trip than I expected, cheaper too, given the horror stories.

Free public transport is brilliant, we tipped out on it to a Luxembourg third division game and had great craic at it, got thanked on the pa system afterwards for going, few beers in the clubhouse before, during at after, talking to fans and players. 
Siomyg View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siomyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 1:00pm
I was on that flight to Heathrow too !! Got my photo with a few of them. Couldn’t believe they were having to fly on a poxy BA flight . 
lukesmyth9 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukesmyth9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Decent trip, wouldn't be overly keen on going back to Luxembourg, the people were fine and no hassle in any of the bars but it just seemed a bit of a dull place with not much about it.

Anyone with a ticket for the home end could just stroll around into the away end so that was good, boosted the numbers a bit.

You could tell it was some people's first away game in 2 years...a few fast asleep before kick off LOL

Time to start the savings pot for the nations league now because Luxembourg drained it 
Lovely city alright, very scenic but as you say, very little buzz about it. Bc of that, I also wouldn't be in any rush to go back. 

A few lads in my row in the corner who were absolutely steaming, particularly one fella to my left who was barely fit to stand and kept nearly falling over (a few times nearly into me) until one of his mates made him sit on his seat. I got pissed off as I couldn't concentrate on the game so at half time I moved up to a free spot at the back of the stand which was much better.

Still, twas great to be back. Thumbs UpClap

Think I saw that alright hahaha
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Decent trip, wouldn't be overly keen on going back to Luxembourg, the people were fine and no hassle in any of the bars but it just seemed a bit of a dull place with not much about it.

Anyone with a ticket for the home end could just stroll around into the away end so that was good, boosted the numbers a bit.

You could tell it was some people's first away game in 2 years...a few fast asleep before kick off LOL

Time to start the savings pot for the nations league now because Luxembourg drained it 
Lovely city alright, very scenic but as you say, very little buzz about it. Bc of that, I also wouldn't be in any rush to go back. 

A few lads in my row in the corner who were absolutely steaming, particularly one fella to my left who was barely fit to stand and kept nearly falling over (a few times nearly into me) until one of his mates made him sit on his seat. I got pissed off as I couldn't concentrate on the game so at half time I moved up to a free spot at the back of the stand which was much better.

Still, twas great to be back. Thumbs UpClap
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 12:49pm

Edited by newrynyuk - 16 Nov 2021 at 12:54pm
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 12:07pm
lukesmyth9 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukesmyth9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:57am

Yeah, those stairs on the corner of our section took a few victims as well 🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 52>
  Share Topic