Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Bazunu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 103>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

The amount of dung being flung at McCarthy is pathetic. I mean let's all hope and pray he lets six in under his legs against Liverpool. His performances, good or bad, should have no impact whatsoever if Bazunu's future is as definite as some here are touting. 

McCarthy probably would have been a walk-up start for Ireland over the past three years had his granny been Irish. His near season-long omission from the Southampton lineup - given Bazunu's rocky ride - would have been questioned in Dail Eireann. 

McCarthy was very poor for Saints the last two years. The less he played the better he became in some fans eyes. He's been very poor since he's come back in which is basically the level he was at before being dropped for Bazunu. He did look very good 3/4 years ago but regressed a lot since then
Both poor.  Creative excuses for Bazunu, criticism for McCarthy. Bazunu thoroughly deserved to be dropped - taking solace from McCarthy’s similar inadequacies is desperate and sad. It serves no purpose other than emphasising that both Southampton goalkeepers were substandard. 

No one is criticising McCarthy to anywhere near the same extent as they did Bazunu. The point is that he has done no better/worse than Bazunu, despite braintrust members such as yourself trying to convince us Bazunu was the primary cause of Southamptons blight.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

The amount of dung being flung at McCarthy is pathetic. I mean let's all hope and pray he lets six in under his legs against Liverpool. His performances, good or bad, should have no impact whatsoever if Bazunu's future is as definite as some here are touting. 

McCarthy probably would have been a walk-up start for Ireland over the past three years had his granny been Irish. His near season-long omission from the Southampton lineup - given Bazunu's rocky ride - would have been questioned in Dail Eireann. 

McCarthy was very poor for Saints the last two years. The less he played the better he became in some fans eyes. He's been very poor since he's come back in which is basically the level he was at before being dropped for Bazunu. He did look very good 3/4 years ago but regressed a lot since then
Both poor.  Creative excuses for Bazunu, criticism for McCarthy. Bazunu thoroughly deserved to be dropped - taking solace from McCarthy’s similar inadequacies is desperate and sad. It serves no purpose other than emphasising that both Southampton goalkeepers were substandard. 

No one is criticising McCarthy to anywhere near the same extent as they did Bazunu. The point is that he has done no better/worse than Bazunu, despite braintrust members such as yourself trying to convince us Bazunu was the primary cause of Southamptons blight.

Nail on the head and in my case without speaking for others I’d be as balanced with McCarthy as I was with Bazunu. 

it’s almost as if Southamptons issues go a fair bit beyond their goalkeeper regardless who’s in goals. 

It starts and ends with sacking the man who was performing miracles to keep you up as far as I’m concerned. Bazunu was playing fine until they sacked Hassenhuttl. 

Edited by kevin100 - 23 May 2023 at 5:25pm
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 5:26pm

What is your sick obsession with Bazunu?? A quick scroll through this thread makes for disturbing reading of your posts. What is the problem with Irish fans criticising him? Nobody is doubting the lads talent. Get real, he had a sh*t season I don’t care what age he is or how many younger keepers have played in Europe this year. Accept it that he was a part of the problem at Southampton, not unlike McCarthy has been in the games he’s played. Simple as 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

What is your sick obsession with Bazunu?? A quick scroll through this thread makes for disturbing reading of your posts. What is the problem with Irish fans criticising him? Nobody is doubting the lads talent. Get real, he had a sh*t season I don’t care what age he is or how many younger keepers have played in Europe this year. Accept it that he was a part of the problem at Southampton, not unlike McCarthy has been in the games he’s played. Simple as 

You're the one falling over yourself to respond to every post that defends him, what is your "sick obsession" LOL
We're decent enough..
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 6:12pm

Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

You're the one falling over yourself to respond to every post that defends him, what is your "sick obsession" LOL

‘Every post’?? Run along now, nearly time to get into your SuperGav pyjamas 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 6:15pm
A sick obsession LOL
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Nail on the head and in my case without speaking for others I’d be as balanced with McCarthy as I was with Bazunu. 

it’s almost as if Southamptons issues go a fair bit beyond their goalkeeper regardless who’s in goals. 

It starts and ends with sacking the man who was performing miracles to keep you up as far as I’m concerned. Bazunu was playing fine until they sacked Hassenhuttl. 

He wasn't pulling up trees under Hassenhutl either tbh. Very few stand out performances over the course of the season, his best was vs United after Hassenhutl sacking. He had a disappointing season and I have no doubt he'd be the first to hold his hands up and admit that. Next season needs to be better!
Idah Dream!
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:02pm
Leeds would be a bad move.

Meslier had/has potential as well, and look how that's turned out for him.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 7:53am
Has been named in the Sofascore team of the season, based on their statistical analysis of the worst players in the league in each position. Harsh maybe, but it was between him, Meslier, Ward and Sanchez, as the standard of goalkeeping across the league is fairly high these days. Possibly the season with Southampton in the Premier League came too soon for him, but he'll have hopefully learned a lot from it and will come back as a more ready keeper at this level in a year or two.

(Also, in his defence, he was literally the only Irish player to play enough minutes to even qualify to be in the team!)

Edited by You Tell Me - 31 May 2023 at 8:08am
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 8:09am
Let’s completely disregard the stats because he’s young and Irish and played a full prem season and not many others have done so, at his age. Isn’t that right O’Shea?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 8:13am
For all the doom and gloom he's still Ireland's number one.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 8:31am
I'd currently trust bazunu most, even though he has mistakes in him. I just think he will save more shots than Kelleher and commands the box better.

Wouldn't rule out Travers coming back into mix though. Hopefully they can all be at clubs that they start next season 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 8:46am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I'd currently trust bazunu most, even though he has mistakes in him. I just think he will save more shots than Kelleher and commands the box better.

Wouldn't rule out Travers coming back into mix though. Hopefully they can all be at clubs that they start next season 

100%. Even after the season he's had, I think most Irish fans would still trust him as our No.1 ahead of Kelleher & Travers.

Although there's not as much between them as I initially would of thought.
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 12:52pm
Only player I give any credit for last night. He was looking like he was hating life though but I would with that 'defensive structure' in front of me.
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2023 at 2:11pm
Just read on a Southampton forum someone complaining that Bazunu lets in so many goals that any competent goalie would easily save. The first reply was, ' to be fair to the lad ,he lets in so many goals that most incompetent goalies  would easily save 😉
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2023 at 4:57pm
He made a bit of a howler in a friendly v Reading and got stick for it.  McCarthy played the next game I think but literally passed the ball to a forward for a goal.  I think given Martin likes to play it out from the back, the latter would be a bigger sin than the former.  He can't have a goalie uncomfortable with his feet so Gav should be ok.  But he needs to cut out the stupid ones.  If McCarthy gets in ahead of him for the start of the season it would be a disaster.  As a goalie you never know when you are going to get back in.

If Gav did lose out to McCarthy, and if Kelleher doesn't get a move (is he trying?  Lack of even rumour is startling) then Mark Travers may yet get a look in nationally.  If Gav knuckles down though it shouldn't come to that.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2023 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

He made a bit of a howler in a friendly v Reading and got stick for it.  McCarthy played the next game I think but literally passed the ball to a forward for a goal.  I think given Martin likes to play it out from the back, the latter would be a bigger sin than the former.  He can't have a goalie uncomfortable with his feet so Gav should be ok.  But he needs to cut out the stupid ones.  If McCarthy gets in ahead of him for the start of the season it would be a disaster.  As a goalie you never know when you are going to get back in.

If Gav did lose out to McCarthy, and if Kelleher doesn't get a move (is he trying?  Lack of even rumour is startling) then Mark Travers may yet get a look in nationally.  If Gav knuckles down though it shouldn't come to that.
I would say there is next to no chance McCarthy starts the first game of the season. Concern would be if Bazunu starts poorly and Martin looks to bring in a new GK. Have seen a lot of fans on SM saying that the club need to go out and get one. Gav will have to silence them.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2023 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

I would say there is next to no chance McCarthy starts the first game of the season. Concern would be if Bazunu starts poorly and Martin looks to bring in a new GK. Have seen a lot of fans on SM saying that the club need to go out and get one. Gav will have to silence them.

Bazunu being a former Portsmouth loanee seems to have caused a bit of an agenda.

In some ways, I'd like to see him move on and do well elsewhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 103>
  Share Topic