Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Bazunu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 103>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 12:06pm
It's more likely that Bazunu goes on to be a Champions League level goalkeeper than failing to get back to EPL level. It's a near freakish anomaly to have played the amount of football he has, at the level he has, at his age. If you can't understand that, and think that a difficult season in a struggling team is a sign that he's no longer going to be sought after, then you don't understand what big teams are actually looking for in a player.

Edited by The O'Shea - 22 May 2023 at 12:51pm
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Roy Keane got relegated with Forest. 

Keane would have been 22 at the time and a lot more influential being a box to box center midfielder.

Keane went into to having a good career.

Had a good career, not a great career.
The dark side.. And the light
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Roy Keane got relegated with Forest. 

Keane would have been 22 at the time and a lot more influential being a box to box center midfielder.

Keane went into to having a good career.

Had a good career, not a great career.

He didn't have a good career, he didn't have a great career, he had a world class career!

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 22 May 2023 at 12:37pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

It's more likely that Bazunu goes on to be a Champions League level goalkeeper than failing to get back to EPL level. It's a near freakish anonaly to have played the amount of football he has, at the level he has, at his age. If you can't understand that, and think that a difficult season in a struggling team is a sign that he's no longer going to be sought after, then you don't understand what big teams are actually looking for in a player.
Sorry for late reply - fell off my horse on the road to Damascus.
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

It's more likely that Bazunu goes on to be a Champions League level goalkeeper than failing to get back to EPL level. It's a near freakish anonaly to have played the amount of football he has, at the level he has, at his age. If you can't understand that, and think that a difficult season in a struggling team is a sign that he's no longer going to be sought after, then you don't understand what big teams are actually looking for in a player.
Sorry for late reply - fell off my horse on the road to Damascus.

LOLLOLLOL
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Soon to be former Southampton manager Soon to be former Southampton manager wrote:

“I communicated to them some games ago and I will stay with my decision,” he added.
“They know the reasons, they know why. I spoke with both of them. And this is what it is.” 

Doesn't sound like Bazunu will be getting back in for the last game anyway.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 2:37pm
Probably a good thing cause Liverpool could give them a right hammering.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 2:39pm
Its up to Bazunu now - he has had a poor season, I dont know why lads are disputing that. Baz has to impress the new manager, likely Russell Martin, to ensure he starts next season as the #1. If he does that, then the ball is in his court, he will have to play well to maintain the spot and that's as it should be. I have every faith he will bounce back and I think a season in the Championship will be good for him.
Idah Dream!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Its up to Bazunu now - he has had a poor season, I dont know why lads are disputing that. Baz has to impress the new manager, likely Russell Martin, to ensure he starts next season as the #1. If he does that, then the ball is in his court, he will have to play well to maintain the spot and that's as it should be. I have every faith he will bounce back and I think a season in the Championship will be good for him.

I assume its interspersed with the fact that Kelleher and Travers also had disappointing seasons too. Currently, our keeper situation remains 'up in the air', as Bazunu has had a disappointing first season, Travers is beginning to look like a strong Championship, and it is hard to develop a full picture of Kelleher given his limited playing time this season
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I assume its interspersed with the fact that Kelleher and Travers also had disappointing seasons too. Currently, our keeper situation remains 'up in the air', as Bazunu has had a disappointing first season, Travers is beginning to look like a strong Championship, and it is hard to develop a full picture of Kelleher given his limited playing time this season

Indeed, O'Leary and Bonham were the two keepers who ended the season in the first team for their clubs. It will be an interesting summer. Surely neither Kelleher or Travers can afford another season on the bench.
Idah Dream!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 4:52am
For us, it's a good thing that he may sit out the final game. As said, Liverpool could give them a hammering, and if that's the case then it's better off that it's McCarthy who's picking the ball out of the net.

Aside from his mistake for Ferguson's first, he nearly gave away a goal before that resulting in Mitoma hitting the post. 

Bazunu would still be in with a good chance of being the starting keeper next season. The bigger question is whether Southampton will be in any shape to bounce straight back up.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 11:47am
The amount of dung being flung at McCarthy is pathetic. I mean let's all hope and pray he lets six in under his legs against Liverpool. His performances, good or bad, should have no impact whatsoever if Bazunu's future is as definite as some here are touting. 

McCarthy probably would have been a walk-up start for Ireland over the past three years had his granny been Irish. His near season-long omission from the Southampton lineup - given Bazunu's rocky ride - would have been questioned in Dail Eireann. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 12:05pm
In reality, it makes zero difference if McCarthy is picked or not picked at the weekend. Last game of the season, that is totally dead rubber for Southampton, and borderline dead rubber for Liverpool, as any chance of the Champions League next season is reliant on Man United losing. There is nothing expected of Southampton this weekend, as undoubtedly one of the poorest relegated teams in PL history.

Its all about next season.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 12:56pm

Bazunu is perfect for the way Martin wants to play so it’s a good appointment for Bazunu if he’s actually staying with them.

The comments here are more then interesting to me. 

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 1:00pm

As for Travers he was the best keeper in the Championship last year at 22yo and was just unlucky he lost out to a more experienced/finished article in Neto this season. No different to Meslier and Bazunu only Neto is probably a superior option to Robles and McCarthy hence got dropped earlier. 

He absolutely has more potential then a solid Championship keeper just needs a bit of luck or show a bit of ambition if he can’t quite get that PL move in the next 2/3 years.

Edited by kevin100 - 23 May 2023 at 1:00pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 2:34pm
The problem with Travers is that he doesn't really fit the bill of a modern day Premier League keeper. He's a good shot stopper, great on penalties, but he's not particularly good at playing out from the back, tends to stay tight to his line and doesn't come for many crosses - this allows teams to hit balls in to the edge of the six yard box again and again safe in the knowledge that Travers won't be coming out to get them.

I can see him falling into the trap of being a very good Championship keeper who isn't able to make the next step up. He'd have to overhaul his game in a big way to ever establish himself as a Premier League keeper. Unlike Bazunu and Kelleher who are very much modern keepers, but have some areas to work on (Bazunu - footwork and being prone to the odd howler, Kelleher - lack of senior experience).
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 2:59pm

The amount of dung being flung at McCarthy is pathetic. I mean let's all hope and pray he lets six in under his legs against Liverpool. His performances, good or bad, should have no impact whatsoever if Bazunu's future is as definite as some here are touting. 

McCarthy probably would have been a walk-up start for Ireland over the past three years had his granny been Irish. His near season-long omission from the Southampton lineup - given Bazunu's rocky ride - would have been questioned in Dail Eireann. 

McCarthy was very poor for Saints the last two years. The less he played the better he became in some fans eyes. He's been very poor since he's come back in which is basically the level he was at before being dropped for Bazunu. He did look very good 3/4 years ago but regressed a lot since then
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

McCarthy was very poor for Saints the last two years. The less he played the better he became in some fans eyes. He's been very poor since he's come back in which is basically the level he was at before being dropped for Bazunu. He did look very good 3/4 years ago but regressed a lot since then
Both poor.  Creative excuses for Bazunu, criticism for McCarthy. Bazunu thoroughly deserved to be dropped - taking solace from McCarthy’s similar inadequacies is desperate and sad. It serves no purpose other than emphasising that both Southampton goalkeepers were substandard. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 103>
  Share Topic