You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Bazunu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 103>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 10:46am
I can't believe Hasenhuttl is 6'3. I thought he was a shortarse for some reason.
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 12:33pm
Luton grant Southampton permission to speak with Nathan Jones.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

He's done a superb job at a poor Luton team with little financial backing. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 12:56pm
Definitely someone to look at if you're going for a cheap option that's made a team hard to beat and done it with a shoe string budget.

Poor mans Sean Dyche and that should be a worry for Southampton fans. Dyche is available and has the PL experience but will cost a lot more and would want funds made available.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Did he not do a really sh*t job somewhere in between his 2 Luton spells? Stoke maybe?

J C
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Did he not do a really sh*t job somewhere in between his 2 Luton spells? Stoke maybe?

J C

Yeah was Stoke. While Stoke are a bit of basket case since relegation he still bombed when he took that step up when moving to a bigger club.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 1:03pm

J C

Yeah was Stoke. While Stoke are a bit of basket case since relegation he still bombed when he took that step up when moving to a bigger club.

Big gamble so, prepping for relegation perhaps, blooding all of the youngsters they have been buying and then taking advantage of the parachute payments? Hard to see this being a move that keeps them up.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 1:10pm
I think they're just going for a younger up and coming manager in the same way they target younger up and coming players. There's about 10 teams in the league this season that are as bad as each other - they can't all go down. Southampton have as much chance of staying up as Wolves, Forest, Bournemouth, Leeds and a number of others.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 1:14pm

J C

Big gamble so, prepping for relegation perhaps, blooding all of the youngsters they have been buying and then taking advantage of the parachute payments? Hard to see this being a move that keeps them up.

That's why I'd be worried as a Southampton fan if Jones actually gets the job. You see Villa and Wolves appointing these managers with European experience and winners medals while you get Nathan Jones.

And apart from that one stint at Stoke he's only managed Luton so you're taking the chance that he'll even do a good job in the championship.

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think they're just going for a younger up and coming manager in the same way they target younger up and coming players. There's about 10 teams in the league this season that are as bad as each other - they can't all go down. Southampton have as much chance of staying up as Wolves, Forest, Bournemouth, Leeds and a number of others.

Replace younger with cheaper and it's probably spot on. Jones is 50 this season and two years younger than someone like Dyche whose got more years PL experience than Jones has managerial experience.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 7:35pm
Not in the EFL Cup team tonight. Jones just appointed as the new Southampton manager.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Think they go down now, weird appointment imo.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 9:42am
Just throwing it out there - I think its fair to say that thus far, the move hasnt worked out great for Gavin and with Mc Carthy's heroics last night, he could come under pressure for his first team spot.

'I hate to say it, but the numbers aren’t going to help Gavin Bazunu' (the42.ie)

“He’s in the top five for the amount of shots that he’s faced and yet he’s 15th for the amount of saves he’s made,” said Keegan. “Which all then correlates to one stat which you’re not going to like . . . He’s 22nd for the percentage of shots he’s saved.”

Top of the Premier League for xG prevented is Alisson Becker, with 5.9, so he’s saved almost six goals which in theory he shouldn’t,” Keegan said. Keegan said that Bazunu is last on the xG prevented table, on minus 8.3. 
Idah Dream!
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 9:49am

Just throwing it out there - I think its fair to say that thus far, the move hasnt worked out great for Gavin and with Mc Carthy's heroics last night, he could come under pressure for his first team spot.

'I hate to say it, but the numbers aren’t going to help Gavin Bazunu' (the42.ie)

“He’s in the top five for the amount of shots that he’s faced and yet he’s 15th for the amount of saves he’s made,” said Keegan. “Which all then correlates to one stat which you’re not going to like . . . He’s 22nd for the percentage of shots he’s saved.”

Top of the Premier League for xG prevented is Alisson Becker, with 5.9, so he’s saved almost six goals which in theory he shouldn’t,” Keegan said. Keegan said that Bazunu is last on the xG prevented table, on minus 8.3. 

The Cobh Ramblers manager's opinion has about much value as Planning's.

“I’ve seen him live once this season, against Man City (which Southampton lost 4-0), and it could have been 7-0 or 8-0 without him. He made three unbelievable saves including one where he read (Erling) Haaland in a one-on-one and got the ball as he tried to round him.”  

“We know how good Bazunu is, we’ve seen him for Rovers, seen him for Ireland, at a very high level. The Serbia game at home, sensational. He’s saved a penalty against Ronaldo, he’s bailed Ireland out a lot, made that amazing save away to Luxembourg. But it sounds like he’s had a rocky introduction to regular Premier League football.”  

“On the plus side, you look at the goals Southampton have conceded this year and I don’t think there’s too many where you could point and say he’s blatantly at fault there . . .  I just think his position will be questioned under the new manager.” 

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

“I’ve seen him live once this season, against Man City (which Southampton lost 4-0), and it could have been 7-0 or 8-0 without him. He made three unbelievable saves including one where he read (Erling) Haaland in a one-on-one and got the ball as he tried to round him.”  

“We know how good Bazunu is, we’ve seen him for Rovers, seen him for Ireland, at a very high level. The Serbia game at home, sensational. He’s saved a penalty against Ronaldo, he’s bailed Ireland out a lot, made that amazing save away to Luxembourg. But it sounds like he’s had a rocky introduction to regular Premier League football.”  

“On the plus side, you look at the goals Southampton have conceded this year and I don’t think there’s too many where you could point and say he’s blatantly at fault there . . .  I just think his position will be questioned under the new manager.” 

The stats dont lie, much as we'd all like Baz to be flying it, he simply isnt having a good season thus far, no two ways about it.

He’s 22nd for the percentage of shots he’s saved (IN THE PL)

Bazunu is last on the xG prevented table, on minus 8.3. 

Idah Dream!
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 10:09am

Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

The stats dont lie, much as we'd all like Baz to be flying it, he simply isnt having a good season thus far, no two ways about it.

He’s 22nd for the percentage of shots he’s saved (IN THE PL)

Bazunu is last on the xG prevented table, on minus 8.3. 

He's also 4th for sweeper actions and 3rd for crosses claimed.

He is 9th for pass completion on passes over 40 yards in length. Southampton are a direct team. Hopefully their next manager will get them playing more short passing. Mix it up.

Nobody is saying that Bazunu can't improve. But the raw data is there. He's a 20 year old who isn't afraid to leave his area, competes at a high level for aerial balls, and has a long range pass in his locker.

If Southampton improve defensively, clean sheets will follow. Like Ward at Leicester.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 10:58am
Luton play a more direct style than Southampton so can't see Jones looking to play it shorter when he takes over. Defensively he'll likely look to make them more compact and organised. Massive risk by Southampton though as Jones has only looked good at Luton and has only six years experience as manager.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 11:01am

Luton play a more direct style than Southampton so can't see Jones looking to play it shorter when he takes over. Defensively he'll likely look to make them more compact and organised. Massive risk by Southampton though as Jones has only looked good at Luton and has only six years experience as manager.

Agreed, massive risk and a strange appointment in my book. He never comes across as particularly convincing in interviews either. Failed pretty miserably at Stoke too, jury will be out big time.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 103>
  Share Topic