You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Bazunu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 103>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Jesus lads, reading those comments you'd think he had dropped a looping header from 20 yards into his own net LOL The level of scrutiny of every goal conceded by our keepers is over the top in the extreme. 

That's what happens when you play in that league. There's no margin for error, and any error that he makes is scrutinized in forensic detail from 20 different angles. He can get away with making mistakes for us this week, because there's nobody to challenge him and apart from us, nobody cares what errors he costs us.  

I don't think he's had a clean sheet yet, despite enjoying the benefits of playing week in week out. Honestly can't see him keeping his place much longer if that continues. As Travers has already found out. 

I don't see him losing his place anytime soon. He's the 3rd best GK in The PL statistically.

They're investing in a 20 year old GK who can potentially become one of the best GKs in The PL.

Travers was already at Bournemouth. Southampton actually bought Bazunu, as they obviously believe in his potential. It's not a similar situation. Bournemouth bought a Travers replacement.

They bought several talented U21 players this summer. Bazunu, Bella-Kotchap, Lavia and Eodozie all have huge potential. They will likely sell them all for big money in a few years. Livramento was picked up last summer as well. Another big talent.

Southampton's main issue is scoring goals. They don't have a 10+ goals a season ST. Che Adams is a good all round ST, but not prolific.

They should have got at least a draw against United, and should have beaten Wolves.
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Jesus lads, reading those comments you'd think he had dropped a looping header from 20 yards into his own net LOL The level of scrutiny of every goal conceded by our keepers is over the top in the extreme. 

That's what happens when you play in that league. There's no margin for error, and any error that he makes is scrutinized in forensic detail from 20 different angles. He can get away with making mistakes for us this week, because there's nobody to challenge him and apart from us, nobody cares what errors he costs us.  

I don't think he's had a clean sheet yet, despite enjoying the benefits of playing week in week out. Honestly can't see him keeping his place much longer if that continues. As Travers has already found out. 

LOL
We're decent enough..
Fatnacho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatnacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:19pm
Seems to be getting off lightly here in regards to what happened last night. He has a tendency to use his athleticism in his shot stopping rather than good positioning. It looks spectacular when it comes off but can lead to errors like yesterday. Instead of taking a step forward to face the shot, he’s on his heels again and is falling backwards trying to stop it.
Kelleher’s footwork when facing shots is much better. This makes his saves look more mundane but they’re more effective. Bazunu shouldn’t have been at full stretch for a shot that’s not heading into the corner of the net.
Obviously, Bazunu is very young and will only get better but I don’t think we have once in a generation talent here unless he starts working on his positioning and footwork.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Fatnacho Fatnacho wrote:

Seems to be getting off lightly here in regards to what happened last night. He has a tendency to use his athleticism in his shot stopping rather than good positioning. It looks spectacular when it comes off but can lead to errors like yesterday. Instead of taking a step forward to face the shot, he’s on his heels again and is falling backwards trying to stop it.
Kelleher’s footwork when facing shots is much better. This makes his saves look more mundane but they’re more effective. Bazunu shouldn’t have been at full stretch for a shot that’s not heading into the corner of the net.
Obviously, Bazunu is very young and will only get better but I don’t think we have once in a generation talent here unless he starts working on his positioning and footwork.

It's still not clear who the first choice is when Kelleher is fit???? Certainly I'd agree that last night's performance wasnt Gav's finest.
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:31pm
Wasn't brilliant for the first and certainly should have saved the 2nd. He's young, I wouldn't worry overly.
We're decent enough..
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:37pm

He had a poor game last night, thought he could have done better for both goals, especially the second. 

He's still very young and will learn from it. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:09pm
Looking back today I actually think people are being a bit harsh on the 2nd he made a good stop initially and the defence didn't clear their lines and the second shot came in before he had a chance to set himself and react (should he have set himself quicker perhaps but I'm not a goalkeeper so I don't know, I'd imagine he'll review it with Kiely and probably back at his club too)

I've been listening to a bit of the Ben Foster Podcasts and he makes a good point that a lot of those who criticise a goalkeeping error 1) aren't keepers 2)don't fully know the exact circumstances surrounding a why a ball was dropped etc.

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:32pm
Poor for the second goal, too far off his goal line, almost on the 6 yard line when ball passed him.. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 5:23pm
And the second was no where near the corner should have saved you can see from his reaction he is disgusted with the second.

Any Kelleher’s use of the ball is better 
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 5:44pm
The 2nd goal was a bad error. De Gea-esque. Not the 1st goal.

The initial shot is a decent save onto the post. It clears the box. Collins and Doherty both have chances to get something on the ball after it hit the post. The goal itself comes through bodies. There's not a lot he can do about it after the initial save. We were slow to react to the 2nd ball.

Kelleher is the biggest myth in recent history. He's 24 in 2 months. Liverpool fans never shut up about him. If he wants to be #1, he needs to actually start his senior career instead of playing a handful of games each season. He's living off that winning penalty from The League Cup final, in my opinion.

He didn't leave a great impression against Ukraine when he conceded directly from an in-swinging free kick. 

Bazunu is still only 20. His ceiling is much higher. He will make the occasional mistake along the way. He's rarely let us down overall. Hourihane takes a lot of the blame for that goal.

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 6:06pm
I'd be critical enough of him for the first goal - there wasn't a huge amount of power on the initial shot he turned onto the post and he perhaps should have got a better hand to it (he could couldn't do anything about the follow up though).

Definitely at fault for the second goal.....he let a weak strike get underneath him, perhaps his worst moment in an Irish shirt.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I'd be critical enough of him for the first goal - there wasn't a huge amount of power on the initial shot he turned onto the post and he perhaps should have got a better hand to it (he could couldn't do anything about the follow up though).

Definitely at fault for the second goal.....he let a weak strike get underneath him, perhaps his worst moment in an Irish shirt.

Was very like Shay given back 2011 against Armenia. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 6:17pm

It's not about power. Shots that bounce or skid off the turf like that are some of the most difficult to judge.

Egan's downward header bounces off the turf, which prevents their GK from getting a stronger hand to it. Bazunu does well to direct it away from the goal. We just weren't quick enough to the 2nd/3rd ball.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

It's not about power. Shots that bounce or skid off the turf like that are some of the most difficult to judge.

Egan's downward header bounces off the turf, which prevents their GK from getting a stronger hand to it. Bazunu does well to direct it away from the goal. We just weren't quick enough to the 2nd/3rd ball.

Yes, I think we can easily forgive him for the first one but the second goal was definitely down to him. In any other game for us, he probably would have saved that.
ProudIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:52pm

Thanks for that Alan Kelly
Here we go again, we're on the road again
Fatnacho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatnacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by ProudIrish ProudIrish wrote:

Thanks for that Alan Kelly
No bother, Paul Wink
My fault for over complicating it. Should’ve just said Kelleher would’ve kept a clean sheet last night if he played.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:18pm

Poor memory of Kelleher being done for the Ukraine goals back in June then. His poor positioning and decision making was our undoing in the home game, he couldn't decide whether to come out or stay on his line and he was set all wrong for the in coming ball. Slow reaction time too.

For the away game he and the rest of the defense were ball watching and drawn to the near post leaving a gaping goal wide open for the tap in.

Was beaten very easily for the Armenia goal too. Thats one of those shot stopping shots that Bazunu does make.
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:50pm
Good to see the Oasis v Blur stuff still going on...

Kelleher should have saved Ukraine home goal, Bazunu should have saved 2nd goal last night, neither at fault for other goals. Two fine young keepers but both are fallible and can improve.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 103>
  Share Topic