You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gavin Bazunu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 103>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Did the Rochdale manager explain his rational behind dropping Bazunu. You'd think after the international break he'd have been coming back to the club full of confidence. Seems an odd time to make a change like that 

Afterwards, Rochdale boss Brian Barry-Murphy explained his decision to leave Bazunu out, with the Corkman clarifying that his omission wasn’t performance-related.

Bazunu played in last Friday’s 2-1 defeat to Portsmouth, which was his third outing in seven days. The Dubliner had just returned from international duty, having earned his first senior caps in Ireland’s games against Luxembourg and Qatar.

“I was very conscious of the fact that for a few weeks I’ve been desperate to give Gavin a breather,” Barry-Murphy told Rochdale AFC’s official website.

“He didn’t get the international break and he’s had a very intense block of games – and there’s an amount travelling involved too. It’s been on my mind for a while and, if I’m being honest, Friday at Portsmouth was where I was seriously considering it, but I asked him to go again.”

Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 3:06pm
Do goalkeepers need to be rested? Really? 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 3:23pm
I would say yes, 19 year old keepers anyway. More for mental than physical reasons though. As a keeper you have to follow every single play in the game, often from 80+ yards away when the ball is up the other end of the field, because it just takes one long punt downfield and you have a split second decision to make whether to leave your box to try to intercept it or stay put. 

Good keepers are constantly organising their defence as well, making sure there is cover if a full back bombs forward etc. I watched Given do this kind of thing a lot for Ireland back in the Croke Park years because my tickets were always in the same place at the edge of the Hill 16 penalty area. He was excellent at a lot of things you'd never normally notice during a game. There's a lot more to keeping than just saving shots, coming for crosses and playing out from the back.
Landsdowne90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landsdowne90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 4:04pm
I’d say tis the mind more than the physical....
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Landsdowne90 Landsdowne90 wrote:

I’d say tis the mind more than the physical....

His mind needs a rest from 90mins a week?... no way, you can play your first team goalkeeper every game for 10 seasons without a rest. If anything it keeps the mind sharp.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:06pm
On the bench again.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:07pm
The curse of the Irish jersey....
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

On the bench again.
So that’s McCleans & Bazunus careers that Kenny has f**ked 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:27pm
They kept a clean sheet last week hence naturally he was kept on the bench. 

He’s at the tail end of the season so job done he’s got his 30 plus games his experience etc. He’s a seriously lucky boy that’s the case and getting put on the bench might actually be no harm in waking him up to his mistake against Portsmouth. It was crazy.

Edited by kevin100 - 10 Apr 2021 at 2:29pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:32pm
It was a bit sloppy, not crazy. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:34pm
Getting 30 odd games at his stage of his career isn't too bad. Be nice to see him go out on loan to a Championship team next season
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It was a bit sloppy, not crazy. 

Il meet you halfway so. It was definitely worse then a bit sloppy. If he was closed down under pressure fair enough but he was under none it was casual. While Portsmouth did have work to do to score after it was costly. 

I have huge time for Bazunu don’t get me wrong and his job is done as regards he’s got his game time/experience. It actually might be no harm for him to see the consequence of a mistake like that either. A harsh learning curve for him.  
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:46pm
The overreaction and hyperbole is part of what makes football hard to follow now. A young goalkeeper makes a mistake and it has to be 'crazy' and discussed for weeks.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:58pm
Not sure he'll get a Championship loan next season. League 1 again, although maybe a better League 1 team, or Eredivisie might be options. City have a link up with an Eredivisie club - Breda I think.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Not sure he'll get a Championship loan next season. League 1 again, although maybe a better League 1 team, or Eredivisie might be options. City have a link up with an Eredivisie club - Breda I think.

Kelleher was supposed to move to an Eredivisie team on loan at the start of the season but it fell through at the last moment.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The overreaction and hyperbole is part of what makes football hard to follow now. A young goalkeeper makes a mistake and it has to be 'crazy' and discussed for weeks.

How is it an overreaction. The manager has put him on the bench for this essentially has he overreacting too?? 

I am saying it’s really not a major concern long term as he’s his game time and experience got anyways.

Where do you think he will end up next season while we are on the subject? I’d be quite happy to see him back at another League 1 club. He’s no rush a while. 

Edited by kevin100 - 10 Apr 2021 at 3:11pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Kelleher was supposed to move to an Eredivisie team on loan at the start of the season but it fell through at the last moment.

Kelleher was meant to move indeed only for Alisson getting injured. Lijnder Klopp Dutch assistant had his finger prints all over that. 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 4:57pm

You seem quite sure he won't move on a level in club football. Why is that? Why don't you think he'll get a Championship move? Please elaborate using facts and maybe the odd opinion here and there to support this assertion. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 103>
  Share Topic