You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 148>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 3:19pm
In fairness, the drive to 3-at-the-back for the seniors was driven by the Coleman/Doherty question, and the fact we have some v good Centre-Halves.
I don't see the same dynamic at play in this squad.

But it still doesn't mean we need to stick to a central isolated #9 and two wide men.

I wonder woule he look at a more traditional 4-4-2 variant with two up top and pack the midfield?
Would mean less width unless the FB's were bombing on (not likely v's Italy) but could mean a greater connection between the midfielders and attacking players, and more openings for our midfielders to allow one of Noss, Smallbone or Johansson to start with the two established lads?

I dunno, just thinking of options as what we have seen thus far with the 4-3-3 has looked inept.

Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

That's all well and good but the manager of the team has literally said he doesn't want to be picked for the foreseeable future and the reasons given have nothing to do with injuries.

Will Smallbone has been out injured for almost a year, has played barely any football, and he's named in the squad.

He literally did not say anything of the sort.

The article states, and I quote:
It should be noted that Ferguson’s promotion was arguably fast-tracked by the agents of Mipo Odubeko (18) at West Ham and Southampton’s Michael Obafemi (21) informing Crawford that the Dublin-born strikers are focused on Premier League breakthroughs this season.

Obafemi has made his club move and won't be focussing on PL football for a long time, if ever.
I believe JC's word thereafter are more about Odubeko, around which there has been much more furore and who has come out and declined call-ups for sure.
Am willing to be corrected, but I've yet to hear JC come out and say that Obafemi has declined a callup.

Obafemi was still at Southampton when that article was published. Hence, "Premier League breakthrough". His subsequently being transferred to Swansea in the Championship doesn't disprove anything I said.

Eh, he literally did say anything of the sort. He literally said agents (plural) of Odubeko and Obafemi informed Crawford that they don't want to be selected; they've subsequently being left out of squads even though they're fit. Can you read? What do you think the "focused on PL breakthroughs" part of the article means?
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 7:02pm
No point going in circles here.  If you are of the opinion that Obafemi has no interest in lining out for our 21's then that's a valid opinion. I feel he has either been injured or far from match-fit for each of our meetups this year.  I'd argue he seems fit enough for this one but he's not in - whether that's because he declined a callup or JC left him out, we don't yet know and hopefully someone will raise it with Crawford.

AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 2:18pm
Ferguson looks a beast of a player. The strength he showed for such a young lad is amazing. What height is he? He looks reasonable mobile as well. I've only seen clips. Does he have much pace?

Can't wait to see how he develops. Hopefully gets lucky with injury's.
It's not me it's you:-)
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Ferguson looks a beast of a player. The strength he showed for such a young lad is amazing. What height is he? He looks reasonable mobile as well. I've only seen clips. Does he have much pace?

Can't wait to see how he develops. Hopefully gets lucky with injury's.

He must be about 6'2", if not taller. Pretty quick too, I remember a moment from a Brighton U23s game earlier in the year where he picked the ball up on the edge of his own box and just ran it up the pitch, won a free near the opposition box, I was surprised at how quick he is for his size. Not blistering pace, mind, but still.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 2:44pm
His dad is listed as 6'3 and he's listed as 6ft but that can be inaccurate. McTominey was 5'6 at 18 so Ferguson might still grow a bit more.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 11:02am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

His dad is listed as 6'3 and he's listed as 6ft but that can be inaccurate. McTominey was 5'6 at 18 so Ferguson might still grow a bit more.

Looks really powerful whatever height he is
It's not me it's you:-)
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 7:08pm
William Hondermarck called up as Ryan Johansson drops out.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 7:51pm
The games are hardly sold out are they? No tickets showing for me for the Italy game. The duo package only has 4 seats appearing for me but won't actually allow me to buy any saying "your seat selection can't leave a single seat available within the row". Still decent availability for the Sweden game but find it hard to believe they've sold 7,000 tickets for the Italy game? 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

The games are hardly sold out are they? No tickets showing for me for the Italy game. The duo package only has 4 seats appearing for me but won't actually allow me to buy any saying "your seat selection can't leave a single seat available within the row". Still decent availability for the Sweden game but find it hard to believe they've sold 7,000 tickets for the Italy game? 

Doubt it, seems to be the exact same issue with the Womens Slovakia/Georgia games separate and the duo pack.

Although Friday night for a tenner against a top side, maybe it could?
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 10:09pm
I was able to go online now and buy a ticket for the U21 match v Italy, so all seems fine with the site.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I was able to go online now and buy a ticket for the U21 match v Italy, so all seems fine with the site.

Cheers managed to grab one now. Seems like they've opened an extra block of seats, presumably selling them one at a time. 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 5:10am
This evening.

2022 UEFA Under-21 European Championship Qualifierf 
 Ireland v Italy
Tallaght Stadium
KO 5:30pm
LIVE on RTÉ2

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:30am
Gotta be on that Luas at 4:30, so bonking off work early is the call Big smile

On a high after last night and looking forward to this, but I still have the fear that JC can't get a good game out of his squad.
Tonight a good barometer as we drew at home v's these guys last time in a very cagey affair (before they dominated us over there).
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 5:24pm
Maher

O'Connor
O'Brien
McGuinness
Bagan

Coventry
Kilkenny

Noß
Smallbone
Wright

Whelan

Okoflex and Ollie O'Neill aren't named in the match day squad.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 5:26pm
Very poor crowd tonight, 1.5k max id say.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Very poor crowd tonight, 1.5k max id say.

Not bad for Half 5 on a Friday evening
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 5:55pm
O Connor seems to have gone backwards over last year or so. Hard to see the justification for playing him ahead of Ebosele these days
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 148>
  Share Topic