You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 148>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/1019/1254713-motherwell-set-to-move-for-bohemians-tierney/

Could be a good move for him after seeing how Jamie McGrath has improved since his move. Good to see Dawson Devoy will stick around for another season at Bohs and wouldn't be surprised to see him move to Scotland after next season.
Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 5:22pm
Never been impressed by Tierney, completely relies on heart and aggression to get around the pitch which doesn't cut it at a higher level which is why he's off to Scotland rather than England.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Never been impressed by Tierney, completely relies on heart and aggression to get around the pitch which doesn't cut it at a higher level which is why he's off to Scotland rather than England.

Absoloute rubbish the boy is very good in the no 10 role, made 4 assists for Bohs in one of the games earlier in the season.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 9:39am
Technically he's not as good as Devoy but he's still not poor in that area either.

His ability to get around the pitch and set the press from the No. 10 will stand him in good stead. He's had a great season.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 9:44am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Technically he's not as good as Devoy but he's still not poor in that area either.

His ability to get around the pitch and set the press from the No. 10 will stand him in good stead. He's had a great season.

Thought he looked by far the best of the LoI players in the U21s tbf to him. A move to Motherwell could be a decent stepping stone. Busy, good presser, a nuisance for defenders. Not sure if he has the guile to play that position at the top level, but that may come with experience.
Idah Dream!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 9:48am
I actually think he does. He was brilliant on the counter attack during the European games. Not sure if that's how Motherwell tend to play but he'd be effective if they do. 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 11:54am
Great Value

"Supporters will also be able to avail of a duo offer that secures a seat for both games in Tallaght Stadium. They are priced €15 for adults, €8 for children or €30 for a family ticket (two adults and two children) - Ticketmaster service charges apply."
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 10:29am
Here we go..exciting squad for the big home double-header:

So OkoFlex is back..good to see, as he is an exciting prospect and this squad needs some firepower.
Kilkenny still here so puts to bed any question of him being promoted.
Johansson back also after getting some much-needed senior football in Holland.
Also great to see Smallbone back after that horror-injury.
And Festy...welcome back ya mad thing!

It's a stronger squad than the last one with these returns/additions.

Just to add, I suppose the only 'name' omission is Obafemi.
He's still eligible and is making sub-appearances in the Championship so I'd have him in but overall, a strong squad.  Now can JC get a tune out of them...

Edited by Fozz - 03 Nov 2021 at 10:35am
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 10:39am
I see they still haven't got the hang of the aul formatting. What an eyesore to look at.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 10:51am
If Ferguson is being fast tracked to the U21s rather than starting for the U19s then it makes no sense having Kilkenny with the U21s when he could be training with the seniors.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 11:01am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

If Ferguson is being fast tracked to the U21s rather than starting for the U19s then it makes no sense having Kilkenny with the U21s when he could be training with the seniors.

I think they will have an eye on trying to get the 21s qualified. That being the case and also two big games for the seniors I think any blooding of players with the seniors would most likely happen for the friendly(s) in March. 
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Here we go..exciting squad for the big home double-header:

So OkoFlex is back..good to see, as he is an exciting prospect and this squad needs some firepower.
Kilkenny still here so puts to bed any question of him being promoted.
Johansson back also after getting some much-needed senior football in Holland.
Also great to see Smallbone back after that horror-injury.
And Festy...welcome back ya mad thing!

It's a stronger squad than the last one with these returns/additions.

Just to add, I suppose the only 'name' omission is Obafemi.
He's still eligible and is making sub-appearances in the Championship so I'd have him in but overall, a strong squad.  Now can JC get a tune out of them...

Obafemi no interest in Ireland. Probably turned down the call from crawford.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 11:28am
Obafemi no interest in Ireland. Probably turned down the call from crawford.
[/QUOTE]

I'd say he has no interest in U21. Wouldn't say he'd turn down the senior team if called in
It's not me it's you:-)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 11:36am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

I think the difference is that Ferguson will likely get game time for the Under 21s whereas management seem to be of the view that Kilkenny wouldn't get game time for the seniors.

Andrew Moran not there - he must be dropping back down to the 19s, who could do with him to be fair.

I think it's clear enough that Obafemi doesn't want to be involved with this team. The question is whether he wants to play with Ireland at any level now.

Odubeko as well of course, but we know the score with him. Having a shocking time of it at Huddersfield in any case, apparently they gave him a few run outs and quickly realised he was nowhere near the level required at this stage.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 11:52am
Good to see Johansson, Smallbone & Ebosele back in.

Obafemi isn't fully fit. Had been out injured from September 18th to October 23, has just played 30mins in each of the last 3 games.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Obafemi isn't fully fit. Had been out injured from September 18th to October 23, has just played 30mins in each of the last 3 games.

I'm pretty sure he's been making himself unavailable for U21 squads a lot longer than that.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 12:15pm
At any level, our best performing midfielder is probably Kilkenny at the moment. He's doing considerably better than Molumby, knight, hendrick, hourihane and mcgrath,  with the exception of maybe only Cullen but even then would Cullen get into that Bournemouth midfield.

Slight caveat for Knight and Molumby as they are just returning from injuries.

I dont really buy the too early for him argument when omobamidele and mcgrath were both thrown into the deep end and both have really kicked on since.

Hes played at a very high level for Bournemouth who will probably walk the league and I think coming on for 30mins at senior level for ireland is more beneficial to his development than another 2 games with the u21s 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

I'm pretty sure he's been making himself unavailable for U21 squads a lot longer than that.

When? He was injured from January up into May, so wasn't available for the March & June games.
He only signed for Swansea on Deadline Day, so wasn't ready for the September window.
Then he got injured mid-September & missed the October Window.
That brings us to this window, where he's only back from injury & hasn't played more than 30mins in the last 3 games, so probably isn't fit enough.

He played 3 games (74', 74', 11') for us last Oct/Nov, when he wasn't getting any games at all at Southampton. Since then it's been all injuries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 148>
  Share Topic