You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 148>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Thought Luca Connell did well in the first half. Hope he gets himself out of Celtic and back to L1 or 2 in England 

He'll probably end up at Partick Thistle or somewhere like that next season. Has a long contract at Celtic and little prospect of breaking into the first team any time soon. He didn't even get a run during the Dubai Covid shambles last season.

Edited by You Tell Me - 02 Jun 2021 at 3:59pm
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Thought Luca Connell did well in the first half. Hope he gets himself out of Celtic and back to L1 or 2 in England 

A fella who should look at continental leagues rather than slogging in L1 or L2.

I think he’s a terrific player. Always on the right place, vocal, great range of passing, calm in possession. Great mental attributes. 

He’s doesn’t appear to be all that mobile but I could be wrong there. Right place, right time is a great quality for a midfield player.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

When you consider players that should be there such as Parrott, Idah, Obafemi, Collins, Bazunu, O'Connor, Omobamidele, Finn, Smallbone, Knight etc. then the U21's would be an even better team altogether.

Totally agree. The current u21 squad are missing those forwards particularly Parrott had 4 goals in 5 at u21 level, idah and connolly were also brilliant at u21.

I think kayode looks OK and this is a good test for him. Afolabi I fear isn't going to butter any parsnips beyond his current level and this is his last chance.

Next years u21s will likely have Ferguson and kavanagh in the team as they seem to be a considerable cut above at their current level. I think they'll both be 17 and 18 by then.

Afolabi hasn’t kicked on for sure but you just never know. He’s a big lad and especially strikers of his build that are young sometimes they just take a good bit of time and need to find their level. He needs to just find his level even if it’s the Scottish 3rd division or League of Ireland. I’d point to Kevin Nisbet playing for Hibernian big reputation as a young player but ended up having to drop to the Scottish 3rd division at 21 to find his level off disappointing loans in the First and 2nd divisions to allow him play every week. 3 years later he’s coming off a huge season for Hibernian linked to Championship clubs and is in the Scottish Euros squad. 

Reason I say that is Afolabi was in the U19 Euros team of the tournament 2 years ago and deserved it he was impressive. There’s a player there somewhere.  

I think he was just a big lad relative to the age group at that U19 Championship. He has been poor for Dundee all season. Similar to Connell he has a long contract at Celtic which they will need to honour but he will probably return to Ireland after that.

Edited by You Tell Me - 02 Jun 2021 at 4:02pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 4:47pm
Mark McGuinness and Oisin McEntee seem too similar at the back. I think McGuinness is the pick of the pair, much better on the ball and offers the same physical profile. Perhaps time to try Lewis Richards or even Anselmo Garcia MacNulty at centre back in the next game. Richards did not look comfortable at left back vs Switzerland.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 5:02pm

A fella who should look at continental leagues rather than slogging in L1 or L2.

There was an article yesterday in the Herald suggesting that loads of Irish footballers should be looking to the EU to play their football. Playing for rubbish teams in L1 and L2 is doing absolutely nothing for their confidence or development.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 6:31pm
Ross tierneyClapClap the ‘mun messiLOL
Well done rosser you beaut!
No Pasaran!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 6:36pm
Lads i didnt see the game cause of work but i just seen the goals on twitter. Whats are the hopes for Tyrek Wright? I thought he looked decent on Sunday and i see he set up the winner. Do we think he will make a decent player? Looks a decent winger.
I love beer gardens
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

I think he’s a terrific player. Always on the right place, vocal, great range of passing, calm in possession. Great mental attributes. 

He’s doesn’t appear to be all that mobile but I could be wrong there. Right place, right time is a great quality for a midfield player.

Hard to know where Celtic will be in a few weeks time. He will get a chance in pre season and by the end of August, we will know if he needs a loan or not.

An SPFL premiership loan or hamilton in the scots championship could be good for him.

Afolabi didnt get much game time for Dundee but for a scots championship team they had decent firepower. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

There was an article yesterday in the Herald suggesting that loads of Irish footballers should be looking to the EU to play their football. Playing for rubbish teams in L1 and L2 is doing absolutely nothing for their confidence or development.

I’d agree on players moving further afield on the continent for football but more so because at dozens of English clubs it’s a bit like a cattle mart as opposed to League 1 or 2 being terrible breeding grounds. Plenty English clubs do focus hugely on youth development we can’t complain about Southampton Derby or Norwich from an Irish perspective can we. Southampton contingent have just been a bit unlucky with injuries etc that happens.  

Coventry Connell Kilkenny Travers Mcentee etc I could go on you see loads of young Irish players hit 20,21 even 22 and they still haven’t gotten rolling playing men’s football. 

One thing I find if you look at country’s across Europe that have improved/are improving their National sides compared to where they are let’s say 10-15 years ago. Belgium,Denmark, Poland,Switzerland,Austria,Norway,Czech Republic Portugal,Cyprus, even Scotland there seems to be more of a focus on bringing through young players in recent years. 

All of these countries have improved their National team and also have decent or improving domestic Leagues in this time period where teams give a proper platform for young players to play at what are decent levels. Players with a 100 plus appearances learning thier trade by the time they reach 21/22. 

Edited by kevin100 - 02 Jun 2021 at 6:53pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Second half we did much better, our substitutions improved us. 
Brian Maher looks an excellent young keeper

How did Lyons play? 

I feel like he plays at the same level as his opponents. Has looked brilliant up against Michael Duffy a couple of times but then goes unnoticed sometimes against weaker opposition when it's an easier game.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 9:05pm
The australia game is up on YouTube now
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Second half we did much better, our substitutions improved us. 
Brian Maher looks an excellent young keeper

How did Lyons play? 

I feel like he plays at the same level as his opponents. Has looked brilliant up against Michael Duffy a couple of times but then goes unnoticed sometimes against weaker opposition when it's an easier game.
He did well, was solid all game and didn’t look out of place. 
I get what you’re saying about Andy as well, kinda waiting for him to really excel at Bohs, he definitely has the talent 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 10:05pm
Lyons played a great ball into Noss for the goal. He has looked brilliant for Bohs at times and in Europe last year was v good.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 12:07am

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

When you consider players that should be there such as Parrott, Idah, Obafemi, Collins, Bazunu, O'Connor, Omobamidele, Finn, Smallbone, Knight etc. then the U21's would be an even better team altogether.

Totally agree. The current u21 squad are missing those forwards particularly Parrott had 4 goals in 5 at u21 level, idah and connolly were also brilliant at u21.

I think kayode looks OK and this is a good test for him. Afolabi I fear isn't going to butter any parsnips beyond his current level and this is his last chance.

Next years u21s will likely have Ferguson and kavanagh in the team as they seem to be a considerable cut above at their current level. I think they'll both be 17 and 18 by then.

Calum Kavanagh is definitely one to move up the ranks if he keeps his progression up. Not 18 until September still very young. Be interesting to see will he start getting a look in for Middlesbrough senior squad by the end of next season.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I’d agree on players moving further afield on the continent for football but more so because at dozens of English clubs it’s a bit like a cattle mart as opposed to League 1 or 2 being terrible breeding grounds. Plenty English clubs do focus hugely on youth development we can’t complain about Southampton Derby or Norwich from an Irish perspective can we. Southampton contingent have just been a bit unlucky with injuries etc that happens.  

Coventry Connell Kilkenny Travers Mcentee etc I could go on you see loads of young Irish players hit 20,21 even 22 and they still haven’t gotten rolling playing men’s football. 

One thing I find if you look at country’s across Europe that have improved/are improving their National sides compared to where they are let’s say 10-15 years ago. Belgium,Denmark, Poland,Switzerland,Austria,Norway,Czech Republic Portugal,Cyprus, even Scotland there seems to be more of a focus on bringing through young players in recent years. 

All of these countries have improved their National team and also have decent or improving domestic Leagues in this time period where teams give a proper platform for young players to play at what are decent levels. Players with a 100 plus appearances learning thier trade by the time they reach 21/22. 

Yes, the issue is that simply going to lower league English clubs is showing a total lack of ambition. This is not the 1970s or 1980s. A lot of our younger players would benefit far more from playing for European teams - standards, facilities and coaching are improving everywhere and many of these teams would probably be well ahead of where some sides in L1 and L2 are now.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 7:35am
The Denmark game is live on the official FAI YouTube channel today.

17.00 ko.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 9:05am
Didn't know that. Nice one DM.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 4:12pm
Strong looking line up for the last game. Thought he might rotate a bit more for this one to be honest. McGuinness, McEntee, Coventry, Noss and Kayode all go again from the start.

Good to see Johansson starting and will be interesting to see Dan Rose in goal as Maher has played every minute of the first two games.

Would be good to see McNulty, Lawal, and Flynn in the second half. The first two are more players for the future but Flynn I think deserves more game time than he has been given so far, especially as we have been playing centre backs and left wingers at left back for the most part. Would have liked to have seen Roughan also but I see he's out through injury.

Rose
Lyons
McGuinness
McEntee
Ferry
Coventry
Noss
Johansson
Gilbert
Wright
Kayode

Edited by You Tell Me - 05 Jun 2021 at 4:17pm