Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 148>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 3:17pm
Watched Switzerland a couple of months back outplay England at under 21 level, seem to have a very good side.
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Watched Switzerland a couple of months back outplay England at under 21 level, seem to have a very good side.

Topped there last qualifying Group ahead of France as well I’m sure. Another country with a fully functioning League where the standard is quite high. Helps with developing young players hugely. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 3:53pm
There's no doubt they looked a more cohesive unit throughout.

We did have periods where we got at them but never forced a save, as far as I can recall.  No clear-cut chances.  Wright pinged a nice corner move just past the post but that was a close as we got.

Should have been 3 or 4 nil, if I am being honest.

But these games are good for our players.  Proper tests and the management will have learned a bit.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 4:42pm
Was trying to follow Conor Coventry in the first half and if I'm being honest he didn't look that great. Johansson was dropping very deep too which you probably want him as far up the pitch as possible for a midfielder.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 4:56pm
Probably more than any other Ireland Under 21 player Coventry needs a full season of first team football next season. Doesn't look to be progressing at all with the West Ham Under 23s.

Has played over 60 games in PL2 for West Ham without getting a minute on the pitch for West Ham in the Premier League. Is being left behind by others who are getting out and playing senior games.

Edited by You Tell Me - 30 May 2021 at 4:59pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Probably more than any other Ireland Under 21 player Coventry needs a full season of first team football next season. Doesn't look to be progressing at all with the West Ham Under 23s.

Has played over 60 games in PL2 for West Ham without getting a minute on the pitch for West Ham in the Premier League. Is being left behind by others who are getting out and playing senior games.

It’s just so infuriating seeing clubs not loan young players out from 19-23 in particular for game time. Gavin Kilkenny and Mark Travers at Bournemouth two more. 

Forgetting about the Irish lads it seems to be a theme at West Ham and Bournemouth in general. Who in gods name is running the show at these clubs in the background. 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Was trying to follow Conor Coventry in the first half and if I'm being honest he didn't look that great. Johansson was dropping very deep too which you probably want him as far up the pitch as possible for a midfielder.
Said before on here. too safe. Always back or sideways. I don’t rate him at all.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

It’s just so infuriating seeing clubs not loan young players out from 19-23 in particular for game time. Gavin Kilkenny and Mark Travers at Bournemouth two more. 

Forgetting about the Irish lads it seems to be a theme at West Ham and Bournemouth in general. Who in gods name is running the show at these clubs in the background. 

Ah, we're not going to go down the conspiratorial route are we? 

If they're good enough, they'll get a chance to play senior level at some stage. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

If they're good enough, they'll get a chance to play senior level at some stage. 

I find Bournemouth and West Ham are two clubs that don’t develop young players or use the loan system as effectively as let’s say Brighton Southampton or Norwich. 

The stats would very much back this up if you looked into them.
So tell me what is conspirational about it?  

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 6:49pm
Conspirational would suggest it's specific to Irish players in some way - I think he's just saying that some clubs are rubbish at bringing through young players in general, which is fair enough - some clubs are rubbish at it. 

It's easy enough to pick out which UK clubs young Irish players should be aiming towards - the likes of Brighton, Derby, Stoke, Southampton will always give young players a chance if they show any sort of potential - either in the first team or out on loan. 

Others, like Watford, Palace and Celtic don't seem to manage their youth development as successfully. The big six are often best avoided purely based on the standard of their first team and the finances available making it so difficult to break through.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 6:53pm

I find Bournemouth and West Ham are two clubs that don’t develop young players or use the loan system as effectively as let’s say Brighton Southampton or Norwich. 

The fact that you singled out Irish players as opposed players in general that these clubs may 'forget' about,  which suggests a bias/conspiracy against Irish players particularly. 

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 6:59pm

The fact that you singled out Irish players as opposed players in general that these clubs may 'forget' about,  which suggests a bias/conspiracy against Irish players particularly. 

I specifically made a point of saying forget about the Irish lads it seemed to be a general issue at those clubs. I mentioned the Irish lads prior as well they are Irish I’m hardly going to mention Scottish lads am I? 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 7:03pm

Conspirational would suggest it's specific to Irish players in some way - I think he's just saying that some clubs are rubbish at bringing through young players in general, which is fair enough - some clubs are rubbish at it. 

It's easy enough to pick out which UK clubs young Irish players should be aiming towards - the likes of Brighton, Derby, Stoke, Southampton will always give young players a chance if they show any sort of potential - either in the first team or out on loan. 

Others, like Watford, Palace and Celtic don't seem to manage their youth development as successfully. The big six are often best avoided purely based on the standard of their first team and the finances available making it so difficult to break through.

Watford is another good example actually Newcastle the same. Managing your academy/youth development isn’t conspirational that would be like saying decent managers and bad managers is conspirational. 

Brentford and Swansea who wouldn’t have Irish players come through in recent years are other fine examples.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 7:13pm

I specifically made a point of saying forget about the Irish lads it seemed to be a general issue at those clubs. I mentioned the Irish lads prior as well they are Irish I’m hardly going to mention Scottish lads am I? 

Eh?

If you're making a point that those two clubs have issues developing young players/using the loan system in general that's fine. The fact you specified Irish players suggests there's some bias against them over players of a different nationality. 

I think you just framed it wrong if you're making a general point about those two clubs. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 8:45pm
When you consider that of the players that played today, 

this was the first u21 cap for johansson, ebosele, Richards, flynn and mcentee.

It was also only the second cap for maher, grant, Gilbert, Noss, Watson, Wright and connell.

Mcguinness, keyode and Ferry have 3 caps now

Leaving Coventry (14) 
Kilkenny (8)
And afolobe (4)

The Swiss were slightly more experienced with 

Forwards 
Stojilkovic (8) and 2 goals 
Okefor (7) and 2 goals 
Mambimbi (8)

Midfielders 
Jankewitz (10)
Imeri (10)
Sohm (4)

Defense and keeper pretty much debutant.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

When you consider that of the players that played today, 

this was the first u21 cap for johansson, ebosele, Richards, flynn and mcentee.

It was also only the second cap for maher, grant, Gilbert, Noss, Watson, Wright and connell.

Mcguinness, keyode and Ferry have 3 caps now

Leaving Coventry (14) 
Kilkenny (8)
And afolobe (4)

The Swiss were slightly more experienced with 

Forwards 
Stojilkovic (8) and 2 goals 
Okefor (7) and 2 goals 
Mambimbi (8)

Midfielders 
Jankewitz (10)
Imeri (10)
Sohm (4)

Defense and keeper pretty much debutant.

Doesn't matter as it's the Swiss and those fookers always beat us. LOL
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 8:20am
Lads, West Ham are literally known as the Academy of football ffs LOL
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Lads, West Ham are literally known as the Academy of football ffs LOL

They have a great tradition yes. Unfortunately the infamous dildo brothers didn’t exist prior to 2010. Even West Ham fans would acknowledge this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 148>
  Share Topic