You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 105106107108109 148>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Is there any chance the likes of Omobamidele, Connolly & Idah could drop down for the playoff and potentially the actual tournament were we to qualify?

Let's say we get through the playoffs.
The finals are then in Summer 2023. 
So the bigger question is who of the current U21 squad will have been promoted by then?
Barring major injuries (or a season in club-wilderness), then I'd imagine one or two of Smallbone, Coventry & Kilkenny will have made a senior squad.
Bagan a big chance too considering our dearth of options there.
Outsiders if they have breakout Senior club seasons could be Odubeko and Noss, to name but two.

So the we get to June 2023 and the U21 pool is made up considerably of lads who have made a senior squad, or been capped.

Then if JC pulls some lads back, then why not others?
My guess is he will be keen to take back any of his campaigners who have made the recent jump to the seniors, as opposed to the likes of Connolly who debuted for the seniors further back.

A season is a long time for a young footballer so a lot can and will change between now and next Summer.

Lets just get past Israel please Shocked

Get past Israel first but the senior team will have 2 euro 2024 qualifiers in June next year. It'd be unlikely to see any more than maybe 1 or 2 drop back if they've no chance of playing with the senior team. All of course if the 21s qualify.
Sponsored Links

wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 10:55am

Is there any chance the likes of Omobamidele, Connolly & Idah could drop down for the playoff and potentially the actual tournament were we to qualify?

So the bigger question is who of the current U21 squad will have been promoted by then?
Barring major injuries (or a season in club-wilderness), then I'd imagine one or two of Smallbone, Coventry & Kilkenny will have made a senior squad.
Outsiders if they have breakout Senior club seasons could be Odubeko and Noss, to name but two.

So the we get to June 2023 and the U21 pool is made up considerably of lads who have made a senior squad, or been capped.

My guess is he will be keen to take back any of his campaigners who have made the recent jump to the seniors, as opposed to the likes of Connolly who debuted for the seniors further back.

A season is a long time for a young footballer so a lot can and will change between now and next Summer.

You would think he'll retain the majority of the current U21's setup if we qualify.

Yeah, we don't wanna get ahead of ourselves but the thoughts of Parrott at the finals Clap

There's not a chance that the likes of Parrott drops back to 21s with two senior qualifiers on at the same time, if we beat Israel first.
As much as I'd like to see him involved it'll be the senior team for him.

Edited by wanderer - 22 Jun 2022 at 11:00am
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 11:06am
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

You would think he'll retain the majority of the current U21's setup if we qualify.

Yeah, we don't wanna get ahead of ourselves but the thoughts of Parrott at the finals Clap

There's not a chance that the likes of Parrott drops back to 21s with two senior qualifiers on at the same time, if we beat Israel first.
As much as I'd like to see him involved it'll be the senior team for him.

Yeah think it will be more of a situation where we we will be looking to see which of the U19s will step up as opposed to senior internationals coming back.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 11:08am
JC has to be fair to the guys who got him there but there is a balance to be had. Obviously the senior team comes first but if some are only taking up a squad place with no chance of game time in June, then JC should be utilising them where possible.

I am sure JC will also have one eye on the next campaign and will want to include some of the squad born in 2002, over the likes of Connolly.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

JC has to be fair to the guys who got him there but there is a balance to be had. Obviously the senior team comes first but if some are only taking up a squad place with no chance of game time in June, then JC should be utilising them where possible.

I am sure JC will also have one eye on the next campaign and will want to include some of the squad born in 2002, over the likes of Connolly.

To be fair to Kenny, I genuinely believe he has the long term interest of Irish football at heart. Whether he is the right man for the job or not is a different question, but it would be difficult to argue against his bona fides.in this regard. I think he will absolutely help in any way he can, but as others have said not to the detriment of the senior team, which is absolutely right. If there are lads on the fringes who wont play for the seniors in that window, then I think any/all should be made available to the U21s. It will be a massive developmental aid for them, even the likes of a Connolly if he still isnt in the senior plans.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 1:12pm
Connolly would be the only obvious one because as things stand he probably wouldn't make the September senior squad, so why not pick him for the under 21s playoff. Of course, all he needs is a loan and a few early season goals and things could change for him in terms of the senior squad.

The only other possible one might be Festy, since he didn't get a minute on the field for the seniors in the June games. Though it seems that he doesn't have a great relationship with Crawford so possibly it won't happen.

I don't see any of the other seven eligible players (Bazunu, Collins, Omobamidele, Knight, Obafemi, Parrott or Idah) dropping down at this stage. I would have five of them in my current strongest senior 11.

Edited by You Tell Me - 22 Jun 2022 at 1:13pm
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 10:52pm
Didn't Kilbane flip between the seniors and u21s for a bit after making his senior debut?
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:07am
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Didn't Kilbane flip between the seniors and u21s for a bit after making his senior debut?

I could be wrong on this but I think he made his senior debut away to Iceland and then didn't get another senior cap for 2 or 3 years. I can't remember if he played for the U21's in that period. I assume if he was still in the age group that he did.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:21am
Sure Kenny and the seniors have a habit of f**king up the first 2 games of a campaign and if that happens next March then we could potentially be out of the running for the Euros 24 by the June window

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 5:34am
We seem to be weak at CB no matter who plays there, so it would make sense for Omobamidele to drop back if he's fit. That being said, if he has a good preseason for Norwich and starts the season well, he'll be in contention to start for the senior side.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

I could be wrong on this but I think he made his senior debut away to Iceland and then didn't get another senior cap for 2 or 3 years. I can't remember if he played for the U21's in that period. I assume if he was still in the age group that he did.

Kilbane, Harte and Connolly all played at least a bit of Under 21s after their senior debuts, all three played in the Under 21 triangular tournament held in the north west of Ireland in 1998.

Ian Evans being involved with both squads back then probably helped with that though.

Edited by You Tell Me - 23 Jun 2022 at 9:00am
KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 9:43am
Troy Parrott and Lee O'Connor both played U21 after their senior debuts too
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 10:49am
With 53 teams (55 minus Germany and Russia) in the euro qualifiers it’ll be 7 groups x 5 games and 3x6 so some teams in the 5 team group will only have 1 game in the June 2 match window.

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 11:04am
Germany will probably be added to one of the groups, same as Qatar were in our group for the world cup qualifiers
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 11:56am
Any dates confirmed yet for the play offs.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 12:06pm
I'd say August myself. We'll surely get close to a full house in Tallaght.
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 12:09pm
19-27 September, exact details to be confirmed. Same dates as the Nations League window for the seniors.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 12:42pm

I'd say August myself. We'll surely get close to a full house in Tallaght.

What’s august based on πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 105106107108109 148>
  Share Topic