You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 146147148
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 11:10am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Whatever your opinion on Crawford is he has found a good one in Finn Azaz - was really impressed with him the other night. I'm a Ross Tierney fan but Azaz was a major upgrade when he came on. Two good feet, composed, strong & always picked the right pass..a proper no. 10. Would call him straight up in November to see how he goes as gives us something different especially with Connor Ronan not playing any first team football.

Thought he was excellent also, but I'd caution against judging a player on a 25 minute cameo (plus 30 in et where he faded a bit, but so did the team and Smallbone/Connolly who he had linked well with had both gone off) who came on vs a tiring Israel side. Thats not to say he doesnt look an exciting prospect, but I'd imagine a little bit more homework might be required, he's still playing L1 football.

In any case, looks like a lad with potential, but I'd still have Smallbone ahead of him as regards elevation to the seniors, probably no harm to promote both for November however. Those two and Connolly look like the only ones worth promoting tbh. 

Coventry is a maybe for me, but unfortunately he is unlikely to play enough football between now and then, no harm having a look I suppose vs Malta- I'm not convinced he's ready yet - hasnt really done anything of note above L1 level, things didnt work out for him at Peterboeo in the Chship. Needs a good Chship loan in January imo to really work his way in to the seniors. We undoubtedly need cover for Cullen, so he has every chance in that regard.
Get your points alright but would still call him up for look see..sure what's the harm as no 21's games left. No issue with him playing L1 as half the squad were playing there last season - his composure on the ball what stood out most for me & we still have major issues in the final third. Agree - would be calling up Smallbone also.
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 3:13pm

Whatever your opinion on Crawford is he has found a good one in Finn Azaz - was really impressed with him the other night. I'm a Ross Tierney fan but Azaz was a major upgrade when he came on. Two good feet, composed, strong & always picked the right pass..a proper no. 10. Would call him straight up in November to see how he goes as gives us something different especially with Connor Ronan not playing any first team football.

Looks a baller and someone that could fit that role of being the third midfielder who could link up with the front two. Hopefully Kenny finds room for both Azaz and Smallbone in November.

We need to get a look at some new faces that could maybe add something to the squad. Could maybe see Coventry training just for the fact we don't have someone to step in when Cullen is out. He'll need to leave West Ham though.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Looks a baller and someone that could fit that role of being the third midfielder who could link up with the front two. Hopefully Kenny finds room for both Azaz and Smallbone in November.

We need to get a look at some new faces that could maybe add something to the squad. Could maybe see Coventry training just for the fact we don't have someone to step in when Cullen is out. He'll need to leave West Ham though.

I think it's probably important that we go with close to a full strength team vs Norway with maybe Smallbone in there as the 3rd midfielder, I'd also like to see him try somebody other than Parrott with Obafemi in that game, maybe Ogbene (still havent heard anything re a knock so I'd imagine he's very disappointed). 

I'd be happy to see Coventry, Connolly and Azaz get minutes vs Malta, maybe Ebosele too, but Coventry will have to get a decent loan in January if he wants to make the March squad and Connolly and Ebosele will need to be getting substantial minutes (and a few goals in Connolly's case) in Italy.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 4:32pm
Idah Dream!
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Crawford praises class of 2022 U21 internationals | Football Association of Ireland (fai.ie)

Sounds like from this that he'll be staying on !!!

YBIG meltdown incoming :)
Fozzy B View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 6:17pm
Of the current squad, Conor Coventry, Lee O’Connor, Brian Maher, Aaron Connolly, Andy Lyons, Eiran Cashin, Jake O’Brien, Joe Redmond, Dawson Devoy, David Odumosu, Will Smallbone, Ross Tierney, Joshua Kayode, Tyreik Wright, Finn Azaz and Adam O’Reilly are all ineligible to play in the next U21s campaign.

This is in addition to Gavin Kilkenny, Oisin McEntee, Mark McGuinness, Luke McNicholas, Colm Whelan, Liam Kerrigan, Conor Noss, Joel Bagan, Will Ferry and David Harrington who have all been key members of the squad throughout the campaign.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 2:38pm
Tyreik Wright scores to put Bradford 2-1 up away - Thought he got a lot of stick, when it was Crawford's fault for playing him at LWB, pleased he's bounced back quickly. Could still have a future in the senior set up/
Idah Dream!
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 3:09pm
Alex murphy makes his debut for Newcastle in Saudi.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 10:33am
Just reading on The Examiner's site that the draw for the 2025 U21 group stages will be made on February 2nd.
No word yet on what pot we will be in but be great to get into Pot 2.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 11:18am
Two more years of Crawfordball confirmed as well. 

Tom Cannon to take on the Evan Ferguson role of lone striker isolated 30 yards away from his nearest teammate.
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 11:50am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Two more years of Crawfordball confirmed as well. 

Tom Cannon to take on the Evan Ferguson role of lone striker isolated 30 yards away from his nearest teammate.

It wasn’t great to watch at times but they they went on a great run and achieved the best ever qualifying result we have had in U21s qualifying, just missing out on qualification through penalties.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 12:00pm
No way he should have been kept on but whatever. We need coaches who actually play. A shocking campaign to watch. 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 12:08pm
f**k sake.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 11:52pm
That's really disappointing.

Loads of talent (specifically attacking talent) coming through, will be wasted on a negative coach.

I made a thread for the next groups of players coming in/ next campaign:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 146147148
  Share Topic