You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 148>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:01am
JC has form of bringing new lads in and immediately starting them.  Happened with Odubeko and Cashin, if I recall.  So Azaz is not beyond starting in that advanced role if we go with Smallbone and Coventry central (which I'd like to see).

Alternatively, from left-field, Hodge could get the nod in that central role. Starred for our U19's as a 17-year old and exudes class.  Can't see it as he's never played senior football but would be a bold move.
Then Smallbone and Coventry can play where they usually do when Kilkenny starts.
Two good options or he could revert to Tierney also.  That lad puts in a shift.

Up front, has to be Connolly left.
Central I'd go Ferguson but not averse to Mipo in there.
On the right it will likely be Wright (scored last weekend also) but for me, I'd have Festy in.
He's a chaos-machine and would torment their defence.  But as above, sprung from the bench could work also.

Really looking forward to it!
Sponsored Links

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:07am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Matchday! Stab at the starting XI (not necessarily what I'd go with)

MAHER

O'CONNOR O'BRIEN CASHIN LYONS

COVENTRY DEVOY

WRIGHT SMALLBONE CONNOLLY

FERGUSON

Depending on what way the match is going, Ebosele off the bench with 25 to go will give the crowd a lift! Loads of unknowns really with Ebosele, Connolly and the highly regarded Azaz all in the squad and regulars such as Mc Guinness, Bagan, Kerrigan and Kilkenny out. Looking forward to it.

I think that's fairly spot on. Tierney might come in for Devoy and up top is anyone's guess.

Really looking forward to heading in, hopefully the stadium is pretty much full and those tickets claimed by season ticket holders don't go to waste
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:33am
Bought 3 seats and realised after that I get it with ST... PM me if interested 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Did you not have to claim the tickets by a certain date?
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

JC has form of bringing new lads in and immediately starting them.  Happened with Odubeko and Cashin, if I recall.  So Azaz is not beyond starting in that advanced role if we go with Smallbone and Coventry central (which I'd like to see).

Alternatively, from left-field, Hodge could get the nod in that central role. Starred for our U19's as a 17-year old and exudes class.  Can't see it as he's never played senior football but would be a bold move.
Then Smallbone and Coventry can play where they usually do when Kilkenny starts.

On the right it will likely be Wright (scored last weekend also) but for me, I'd have Festy in.
He's a chaos-machine and would torment their defence.  But as above, sprung from the bench could work also.

Wouldnt disagree with any of that really. I'm looking forward to seeing Azaz. Reading about him, he seems  a pretty exciting prospect and he has a lot of senior mens football under his belt with 2 full seasons in L2 (80+ games) before his elevation to L1 this season where he appears to have hit the ground running. While obviously he's new to our set up, he must be one of the more experienced lads in the squad in terms of senior games played.
Idah Dream!
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Matchday! Stab at the starting XI (not necessarily what I'd go with)

MAHER

O'CONNOR O'BRIEN CASHIN LYONS

COVENTRY DEVOY

WRIGHT SMALLBONE CONNOLLY

FERGUSON

Depending on what way the match is going, Ebosele off the bench with 25 to go will give the crowd a lift! Loads of unknowns really with Ebosele, Connolly and the highly regarded Azaz all in the squad and regulars such as Mc Guinness, Bagan, Kerrigan and Kilkenny out. Looking forward to it.

I think that's fairly spot on. Tierney might come in for Devoy and up top is anyone's guess.

Really looking forward to heading in, hopefully the stadium is pretty much full and those tickets claimed by season ticket holders don't go to waste

I'd start Costelloe over Wright with Festy coming on last 30. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:05am

After the games in June and the changes he made going into the second game it's hard to predict what he'll pick. Could revert to form and pick a pragmatic midfield trio or throw a curve ball and go with Coventry, Smallbone, and Azuz.

Everyone probably has Connolly in their starting XI but wouldn't be totally shocked if he didn't start either.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:21am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

After the games in June and the changes he made going into the second game it's hard to predict what he'll pick. Could revert to form and pick a pragmatic midfield trio or throw a curve ball and go with Coventry, Smallbone, and Azuz.

Everyone probably has Connolly in their starting XI but wouldn't be totally shocked if he didn't start either.

I could easily be wrong, but I think the fact that Connolly seems to have been put out there front and centre in the media (unlike Festy) and has been name checked by Crawford seems to point to a start.
Idah Dream!
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:35am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

It's bad enough having to swallow your pride by having to drop back to U21 level after already getting 8 senior caps. Not Starting him would be a bad decision.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:49am
Connolly has to start.
He was a terror at this level down the left and that was almost three years ago.
Sure, confidence now would seem a deal lower but he won't be up against PL or Championship defenders here and has some very good footballers around him.

Having said that, this Israel team are competent, organised and have been getting results.
Outside the Italian jobs, this will be our toughest test in years with so much at stake.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:59am

Connolly has to start.
He was a terror at this level down the left and that was almost three years ago.
Sure, confidence now would seem a deal lower but he won't be up against PL or Championship defenders here and has some very good footballers around him.

Having said that, this Israel team are competent, organised and have been getting results.
Outside the Italian jobs, this will be our toughest test in years with so much at stake.

I see Crawford quoted on the RTE website as saying he sees Aaron as a striker rather than a wide player. Maybe that indicates he'll go with 2 up top or maybe he'll simply slot Aaron in as the #9. Agree that he really should be starting, assuming he's 100%, given this is the home leg.
Idah Dream!
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 12:01pm

I did, thinking I'll get a refund for the other 3.... So I now have 6
W. Axl Rose View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W. Axl Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 12:04pm
Any pubs in Glasgow showing this tonight, does anyone know?
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 12:05pm

I did, thinking I'll get a refund for the other 3.... So I now have 6

That's a shocker, plenty of empty seats later Confused
flaghunter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 12:14pm
Do away goals matter?
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 12:26pm
RE Connolly starting and potential position

However, exactly where the Venezia loanee operates is uncertain, with the Galwegian capable of playing both as the main striker or wide in an attacking three.

“I’d see him as a striker,” says Crawford. “What he offers with his pace, when he gets turned running at defenders from deeper areas he will cause problems but it’s also safe in the knowledge that if you have to play him out wide then he can do a job out there.

“But certainly, I see him as a nine and you have these conversations with players. That to me is the first indication as to where you will get the best out of that particular player.”

Idah Dream!
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 12:29pm

Connolly has to start.

I agree with that. He should be even better now but unfortunately I think he has regressed 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by flaghunter flaghunter wrote:

Do away goals matter?

I have had a look and cant find anything on wiki/uefa website. Good question though as it could be crucial. I know UEFA got rid of the away goals rule in club football last year, but I cant find any reference to international football and none of the previews for the game tonight make it clear. Anybody know for sure?

Changes the dynamic of the game tonight if they do/don't
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 148>
  Share Topic