You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 148>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Odubeko has been injured at Huddersfield, I believe. Long shot for Ireland anyway if he ever does make it. I have no idea what the situation is with Okoflex. Does anybody know ?

Wasn't selected by Crawford, who thinks he needs a bit more work.

Nice one.
That's promising, and I retract my take that JC managed him badly or that OF was a bllox LOL

I'm back to giving him the benefit of the doubt and hopefully a good loan in Jan can get him featuring higher in our U21 plans come March.
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:11pm

You'd wonder why Ryan Cassidy didn't get called up. He's still young enough, I think.

He's 2001 so eligible for sure.
Only coming back from a very bad injury and finding his feet again so is well below where he'd need to be for a return to International duty.

Hopefully come March that will have changed.

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

You'd wonder why Ryan Cassidy didn't get called up. He's still young enough, I think.

He's 2001 so eligible for sure.
Only coming back from a very bad injury and finding his feet again so is well below where he'd need to be for a return to International duty.

Hopefully come March that will have changed.

Yeah I’d expect Cassidy to be back involved next season after his injuries, no point rushing him 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:19pm

Odubeko has been injured at Huddersfield, I believe. Long shot for Ireland anyway if he ever does make it. I have no idea what the situation is with Okoflex. Does anybody know ?

Not injured the last few weeks, he has played 3 games for the b team since coming back no goals.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Not injured the last few weeks, he has played 3 games for the b team since coming back no goals.

Did I read somewhere that his manager at Huddersfield was unhappy with him? Thought I saw something recently re his application or lack of.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Did I read somewhere that his manager at Huddersfield was unhappy with him? Thought I saw something recently re his application or lack of.

Tbf to the lad I'll take that back. All i could find on Google search is that the manager has said it will take time for him to adapt and that his chance will come.
Idah Dream!
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:31pm

Don't think it was anything to do with application, just that he plum wasn't good enough. Couched in more diplomatic language than that.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:17pm

If he didn’t try a leg on his West Ham debut at old Trafford, doubt very much he”ll be busting a gut for Huddersfield reserves.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

I like that o Neill . I googled him there and it says place of birth Republic of Ireland . If that’s correct he must have moved away quite young as has quite an English accent . Anyone have any ideas on his background . Thought he looked really good when he came on. Ferguson looks a beast

Not sure that he was born here, but his dad is from Waterford, his uncle is a regular at The RSC, he’s 100% committed to us according to him, I’ll try find out more

https://www.extratime.com/articles/28306/ollie-oneill-i-believe-im-good-enough-to-be-here-im-delighted-the-call-up-but-ive-no-doubts-in-my-ability-to-be-here/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

O’Neill was brought up in Ealing, west London. His parents and his four grandparents are Irish, and he has family in Kerry, Waterford, and Galway.

Seems a good shout that he wont transition over to England....
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Wasn't selected by Crawford, who thinks he needs a bit more work.

Nice one.
That's promising, and I retract my take that JC managed him badly or that OF was a bllox LOL

I'm back to giving him the benefit of the doubt and hopefully a good loan in Jan can get him featuring higher in our U21 plans come March.

If you didn't know he was talking about Okoflex it's something you would say word for word about Elbouzedi. A player that couldn't get games at L1/L2 level going further afield and being really well suited to a continental League. Okoflex is a similar sort of winger except at this point Okoflex looks a good deal more promising. 

I like that Crawford said it you could say this about a good few Irish players they just don't make the effort to go further afield. Cullen deserves huge credit for this. 

Edited by kevin100 - 17 Nov 2021 at 5:34pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I like that o Neill . I googled him there and it says place of birth Republic of Ireland . If that’s correct he must have moved away quite young as has quite an English accent . Anyone have any ideas on his background . Thought he looked really good when he came on. Ferguson looks a beast

Not sure that he was born here, but his dad is from Waterford, his uncle is a regular at The RSC, he’s 100% committed to us according to him, I’ll try find out more

O’Neill was brought up in Ealing, west London. His parents and his four grandparents are Irish, and he has family in Kerry, Waterford, and Galway.

Grealish and Crowley have the exact same backgrounds; one plays for England and one played for England. Both played GAA and visited Ireland as children. There's no indication that O'Neill wants to play for England but there's no indication England have tried or will try to select him. As Joey Tribbiani would say, it's a moo point talking about it until such time as he's playing at PL level, for that's what he'd need to be doing to get selected at seniors for them, and as strong as they already are at U21, he'd need to be breaking into Fulham's team and establishing himself firmly for them to be considered even at that level.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Reads like his mother might be Irish born and from Galway and his father the son of a couple from Kerry and Waterford? That would be handy. The Irish mammy has been helpful of late. 

I don't think any of Grealish, Rice or Crowley had grandparents left in Ireland- although Grealish was good enough to bring his across when collecting his under 21 award. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 17 Nov 2021 at 6:00pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 11:45am
U21 2021 year in review with JC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi_zOyXx6KQ&t=1s

A few replays of that fantastic Ollie O'Neill goal in there, as you'd expect!

2022 gonna be a tough year for this group, starting with the away tie in Sweden at the end of March.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 9:39pm
Are there any plans to organise friendly before the Sweden game? Would be a missed opportunity if not as it's just the Sweden game for that window.

Would be good to brush the rust off after a 4 month hiatus & also give some lesser used players a game i.e. Johansson, Noss, Odumosu, Hondermarck, Flynn, Lyons, Devoy, Okoflex, etc. Could also try Lee O'Connor in CM.

Edited by Greenie50 - 12 Feb 2022 at 9:44pm
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 5:57pm
All the team stepping up quite a bit now with lots of first team appearances and some eye catching performances 
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 6:18pm
There's the makings of a decent team there alright even with, by my count, eight players unavailable that would probably get in - nine if Ebosele gets a senior call up.

Maher
Ebosele McGuinness O'Brien Bagan
                 Kilkenny Coventry
            Wright Smallbone Ferry
                          Ferguson

Can't say I have much faith in Crawford to get the most out of them though.
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 10:57pm
Is Connolly not over age now?
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Is Connolly not over age now?

No, players born on or after 1st Jan 2000 are eligible for the current u21s.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 148>
  Share Topic