Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 148>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:36am
Swedish manager has left to take over at Barnsley

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:46am
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

If o shea comes back to the senior squad, Nathan collins could drop back to the under21 which would add some strength to the back line. Obafemi could also come into the reckoning (think he still eligible) and add more depth in the forwards.

O'Shea, Omobamidele, and Collins were all in the squad together back in September so don't see him dropping out for O'Shea and more likely Manning drops out.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:50am
Was expecting Ollie O'Neill to recite the 1916 Proclamation after reading about that interview on here. It sounded like every other interview from someone who's scored a 90th minute winner. What do people expect, for him to start singing Fake Plastic Trees?

As for the poster saying he turned down England (for which there is no source) and that his cousin's dentist's girlfriend's best friend said he'll always play for us, it's worth mentioning that Jack Grealish's brother posted here and on Foot.ie saying similar stuff; Declan Rice's dad gave radio interviews saying similar stuff.

Not sure what his holidaying in Ireland has to do with anything. Harry Kane holidayed in Connemara and always wanted to play for England. Your Irish heritage isn't expunged and your Irish relatives don't cease to exist once you accept England caps.

Anyways, delighted with the result. And hopefully Ollie does continue on with us if Fulham get promoted and he ends up in the first team. But let's not get carried away lads. 
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Was expecting Ollie O'Neill to recite the 1916 Proclamation after reading about that interview on here. It sounded like every other interview from someone who's scored a 90th minute winner. What do people expect, for him to start singing Fake Plastic Trees?

As for the poster saying he turned down England (for which there is no source) and that his cousin's dentist's girlfriend's best friend said he'll always play for us, it's worth mentioning that Jack Grealish's brother posted here and on Foot.ie saying similar stuff; Declan Rice's dad gave radio interviews saying similar stuff.

Not sure what his holidaying in Ireland has to do with anything. Harry Kane holidayed in Connemara and always wanted to play for England. Your Irish heritage isn't expunged and your Irish relatives don't cease to exist once you accept England caps.

Anyways, delighted with the result. And hopefully Ollie does continue on with us if Fulham get promoted and he ends up in the first team. But let's not get carried away lads. 

Slight exaggeration form you there, the quotes are directly form his cousin, read into it what you want, it's also worth noting that Ollie's Irish connections are on both sides of his family, there's not a chance he's going to go anywhere.

As for Grealish's brother, he always caveated his posts by saying "at the moment" he was happy with Ireland. Grealish himself always stated that he supported the Irish U21 team and the England national team - he was always going to play for them

As for Rice that took everyone by surprise, but then again, his mother's side is very English

Edited by Howdo - 17 Nov 2021 at 11:37am
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 1:18pm

You’re a strange character.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 1:35pm
I think Smallbone will be left with the U21s for March. We have options in that area of the pitch Knight McGrath Ogbene Robinson Parrott. He's plenty in front of him. Not to say if he's playing and really impressing for Southampton by then he wouldn't have a case to come in. 

Kilkenny is a different story and particularly if he keeps playing close to regularly for Bournemouth then he is the one player in the position we need to blood. We are so light in that area what if Cullen gets injured? 

Hourihane or McCarthy who can't stay fit are not it. Hendrick is industrious and played a great pass for the 2nd goal but he didn't show for the ball enough off the defence against Lux. 

Edited by kevin100 - 17 Nov 2021 at 1:37pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

You’re a strange character.

Right back at you. Thumbs Up
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 1:40pm

I would make the point to you the depth of attacking talent in the England set up at the moment will help our cause as regards the likes of this fella if he ever does show promise. Antonio declared for Jamaica in the finish as he quite simply couldn't get a look in. That tells you the quality they have. 

It really isn't something to worry about anyways as long as he's here I'm happy to presume they won't jump ship. If they do just file it under who cares and move on.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I was looking at the remaining fixtures this morning and its a tough ask to even make 2nd place. Drawing away to Lux and losing to Montenegro were two shocking results and hard to come back from.
Italy look favourites to qualify, so its Sweden we have to catch. We play them next at the end of March. They are 4 points clear, having played a game more, and are on 14 points. We have 10 points.

We will either have to get a draw away to both Sweden and Italy and win our other two matches against Bosnia and Montenegro, or beat Sweden, Bosnia and Montenegro and hope the Swedes dont beat Italy.

Looks a very long shot to qualify here lads unfortunately.

I'd written off this campaign after the dropped points to Lux.
In the last campaign, we beat the Swedes twice and still failed to get 2nd and that with beating the minnows home and away no problem.

Then losing to Montenegoro was a disaster and not only were the dropped points an issue, when you looked at our form, it was poor.

Now beating Sweden was deserved and most welcome but any talk of coming 2nd here is still a fantasy unless we go there in March and beat them again.
Not beyond the bounds if we play again like last night but its possible we just clicked once as opposed to had a renaissance under JC, and we will revert to form in the new year.

There's still red-flags for me - the formation has mostly looked ineffective, with an isolated #9 and the wide lads playing very hit and miss (as we saw last night with Wright and previously with Ferry and Gilbert).
Could argue our best atacking wide man (OkoFlex) on club-form is not being played.
Now, he's either been frozen out or is acting the bllox so can't say at this stage where the fault there lies.
Finally we could see the best two players in he group (Kilkenny and Smallbone) elevated to the seniors come March (or by the next window after that) and I am not sure they have the squad-dept to soak those losses up.

Overall the campaign has been hit and miss.  Last night was a deserved win and the best JC U21 performance yet and if he can keep this up, I'll change my mind on him.

Why does it have to be one of those two? "Frozen out" infers some kind of malevolence on Crawford's part. Maybe he's not good enough. Maybe he doesn't bother his arse in training. Maybe he went home.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 2:15pm

Why does it have to be one of those two? "Frozen out" infers some kind of malevolence on Crawford's part. Maybe he's not good enough. Maybe he doesn't bother his arse in training. Maybe he went home.

Yep, as I said, acting the bllox.

But yes, maybe he just didn't show enough in training but he's near the top of the PL2 goalscorer charts so he can play, despite what we think of those leagues.

O'Neill hasn't even scored for Fulham in their PL2 league, one level below West Ham's where OF has scored a bunch.
This suggests to me that there's more going on here than just the lads ability and I am guessing it is his application or some personal issue with the manager.
For a lad with his potential and form, to not evven make our bench is a bit of a head-turner.

Edited by Fozz - 17 Nov 2021 at 2:16pm
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 2:28pm
lee O’Connor MOTM yesterday. Thought he wasn’t great on the updates here. 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 2:44pm
Okoflex comes across like typical lad who thinks he is  better than he is  going by his last post on Instagram with his phone in the stand, I'd imagine his attitude is woeful and he literally has done not one thing in the game as of yet, U23s means nothing and I won't be surprised if we don't see him in an Ireland squad for a long time, reminds of Odubeko with the stuff he puts up and look how far back his career has gone this season not even scoring for Huddersfields B team. These lads will do well to have any sort of career because ability is one of a number of things you need and attitude being No1.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 17 Nov 2021 at 2:45pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 2:57pm
You'd wonder why Ryan Cassidy didn't get called up. He's still young enough, I think.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

lee O’Connor MOTM yesterday. Thought he wasn’t great on the updates here. 

He wasnt MotM by some distance, the fact that Noel King and the rest of the RTE panel decided to give it to him sums up their knowledge of the game. He's been poor enough over the course of the campaign. Very poor defensively first half yesterday, but the fact the left winger wouldnt track him allowed him a few eye catching moments going forward, he did ok, but no more than that.
Idah Dream!
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 3:53pm
Odubeko has been injured at Huddersfield, I believe. Long shot for Ireland anyway if he ever does make it. I have no idea what the situation is with Okoflex. Does anybody know ?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Odubeko has been injured at Huddersfield, I believe. Long shot for Ireland anyway if he ever does make it. I have no idea what the situation is with Okoflex. Does anybody know ?

Wasn't selected by Crawford, who thinks he needs a bit more work.

10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:00pm

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:06pm

Wasn't selected by Crawford, who thinks he needs a bit more work.

I'm no fan of Crawford's but it seems like reasonable advice and he clearly didn't just dodge the issue.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 148>
  Share Topic