You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 148>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:01pm
class display tonight. We should have won by 2 or 3 but I will take a last minute goal. We looked a bit ropey in the first half but controled the game in the second. Smallbone is getting better and better and that finish from O Neill was top drawer. Kenny is spoilt for choice in some new kids to blood!
Sponsored Links

Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Good win.

we are comfortably the second best team in this group on paper - even without the likes of Parrott, Idah, Bazunu, Knight, Omobamidele, Collins etc. Unfortunately it's very difficult for us to finish second from our current position.

Smallbone has played premier league football, Kilkenny, Coventry, McGuinness, Ebosole and Bagan play quite regularly at Championship level etc. Many others are playing regularly in League 1 etc.

We shouldn't be dropping points to Luxembourg or losing to Montenegro, which will ultimately be what kills us.

If we were somehow able to get three points in Sweden. Do you not think it could be back on? 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'm not much of a fan of the Jim Crawford setup or style of play, but it's still encouraging to see that a team that is missing 8 would be starters can still go out and beat a strong nation like Sweden. I'd say Kilkenny, Bagan and Smallbone would be the only players from tonight that would make a full strength lineup at that age group.

Ebosele, o'brien and Coventry would be close also, especially if we mirrored the 3421 which we should. 
Bazunu
Ebosele
Bagan
Omobamidele
O'Brien
Collins
Kilkenny
Knight
Smallbone
Idah
Connolly

With parrott, mc guinness and Coventry otb. The future is very bright
Idah Dream!
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:10pm
Any word on why Festy was dropped and the other elephant in the room - what’s the word on Okoflex
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Frabhoy Frabhoy wrote:

Good win.

we are comfortably the second best team in this group on paper - even without the likes of Parrott, Idah, Bazunu, Knight, Omobamidele, Collins etc. Unfortunately it's very difficult for us to finish second from our current position.

Smallbone has played premier league football, Kilkenny, Coventry, McGuinness, Ebosole and Bagan play quite regularly at Championship level etc. Many others are playing regularly in League 1 etc.

We shouldn't be dropping points to Luxembourg or losing to Montenegro, which will ultimately be what kills us.

If we were somehow able to get three points in Sweden. Do you not think it could be back on? 

I think we will drop further unexpected points to be honest, this will be down to the management team rather than the players. 

Despite this it is exciting that with what some think isn't a particularly talented under-21s team we've managed to look the better side and win against both Sweden and Bosnia. 

Beating teams like that is what we'll need to do to qualify regularly at senior level.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:15pm
Interesting dilemma for kenny in march with the u21s return tie vs Sweden in the same window. He'll surely move smallbone up if he's playing for Southampton, but would he move Kilkenny up also and rip the heart out of the U21 team. I think he'd learn as much watching Kilkenny play in a must win away game vs tough opposition
Idah Dream!
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:20pm
I saw a Prica coming on for Sweden and it rang a bell. Sure enough, his aul lad was Rade Prica that Roy Keane signed for Sunderland when he was under a bit of pressure in 2008. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Frabhoy Frabhoy wrote:

Good win.

If we win away in Sweden we have every chance of a 2nd place finish, as we have 2 very winnable home games thereafter and the last game is away to an Italian side who may well have already topped the group.
Idah Dream!
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

I saw a Prica coming on for Sweden and it rang a bell. Sure enough, his aul lad was Rade Prica that Roy Keane signed for Sunderland when he was under a bit of pressure in 2008. 

That’s gas. Heard the commentators say his name and was the first thing I thought of.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Interesting dilemma for kenny in march with the u21s return tie vs Sweden in the same window. He'll surely move smallbone up if he's playing for Southampton, but would he move Kilkenny up also and rip the heart out of the U21 team. I think he'd learn as much watching Kilkenny play in a must win away game vs tough opposition
Dawson Devoy would be a decent replacement for Kilkenny. Smallbone may be a bigger loss..Think we started playing better when he went into the 10 position. As much as I like Tierney he is not technically good enough to play 10 & Noss has been slightly disappointing.
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:34pm
Defo re Smallbone, good link play from him, looks quality. Tierney is a good LoI player but looked completely out of sorts here, a level too much? Can’t remember him controlling a ball. Cawley in commentary said he had a good game, not sure what game he was watching. The two subs ferry & O’Neill looked way better that Wright & Tierney. Ferguson didn’t do anything but hopefully he’s not just another hype player. LB, Bagan, v solid. Plenty positives in the game.

Edited by SeanC - 16 Nov 2021 at 11:43pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:43am
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

Defo re Smallbone, good link play from him, looks quality. Tierney is a good LoI player but looked completely out of sorts here, a level too much? Can’t remember him controlling a ball. Cawley in commentary said he had a good game, not sure what game he was watching. The two subs ferry & O’Neill looked way better that Wright & Tierney. Ferguson didn’t do anything but hopefully he’s not just another hype player. LB, Bagan, v solid. Plenty positives in the game.

I'm still shocked that anyone is judging a striker whatsoever in this set up don't mind a just turned 17yo kid like Ferguson! Kayode Whelan Ferguson they get runover playing as a lone man! It's not working and it's remarkable we are still in with a remote chance of qualifying from this group with it. 
Kilkenny/Coventry is a very strong midfield in context of U21 level and they have helped. 

We did well today I don't want to sl*g the management to the rooftop's but a bit like Solskjaer at United who often found it easier against top sides who gave him space and his players space to play off the cuff it seems a case of this here. We have looked miles better against Sweden/Bosnia then we have against what are minnows in Montenegro/Luxembourg.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:25am
If o shea comes back to the senior squad, Nathan collins could drop back to the under21 which would add some strength to the back line. Obafemi could also come into the reckoning (think he still eligible) and add more depth in the forwards.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 9:48am
I was looking at the remaining fixtures this morning and its a tough ask to even make 2nd place. Drawing away to Lux and losing to Montenegro were two shocking results and hard to come back from.
Italy look favourites to qualify, so its Sweden we have to catch. We play them next at the end of March. They are 4 points clear, having played a game more, and are on 14 points. We have 10 points.

We will either have to get a draw away to both Sweden and Italy and win our other two matches against Bosnia and Montenegro, or beat Sweden, Bosnia and Montenegro and hope the Swedes dont beat Italy.

Looks a very long shot to qualify here lads unfortunately.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:07am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I was looking at the remaining fixtures this morning and its a tough ask to even make 2nd place. Drawing away to Lux and losing to Montenegro were two shocking results and hard to come back from.
Italy look favourites to qualify, so its Sweden we have to catch. We play them next at the end of March. They are 4 points clear, having played a game more, and are on 14 points. We have 10 points.

We will either have to get a draw away to both Sweden and Italy and win our other two matches against Bosnia and Montenegro, or beat Sweden, Bosnia and Montenegro and hope the Swedes dont beat Italy.

I'd written off this campaign after the dropped points to Lux.
In the last campaign, we beat the Swedes twice and still failed to get 2nd and that with beating the minnows home and away no problem.

Then losing to Montenegoro was a disaster and not only were the dropped points an issue, when you looked at our form, it was poor.

Now beating Sweden was deserved and most welcome but any talk of coming 2nd here is still a fantasy unless we go there in March and beat them again.
Not beyond the bounds if we play again like last night but its possible we just clicked once as opposed to had a renaissance under JC, and we will revert to form in the new year.

There's still red-flags for me - the formation has mostly looked ineffective, with an isolated #9 and the wide lads playing very hit and miss (as we saw last night with Wright and previously with Ferry and Gilbert).
Could argue our best atacking wide man (OkoFlex) on club-form is not being played.
Now, he's either been frozen out or is acting the bllox so can't say at this stage where the fault there lies.
Finally we could see the best two players in he group (Kilkenny and Smallbone) elevated to the seniors come March (or by the next window after that) and I am not sure they have the squad-dept to soak those losses up.

Overall the campaign has been hit and miss.  Last night was a deserved win and the best JC U21 performance yet and if he can keep this up, I'll change my mind on him.

Edited by Fozz - 17 Nov 2021 at 10:09am
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:30am
Terrible attendance again in tallaght get these game around the country again in the likes of Turner's Cross, Showgrounds, RSC,  etc.... Having the MNT, WNT and the U21's play in Dublin is crazy.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:30am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

True - but it looked a hell of a lot longer with 91 mins or so played last night! As has been said two very poor results had left us almost dead and buried but at least they have a chance at it now after last night.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:35am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Not sure of the dates for the senior games in March, but it's Tue 28th March for the U21 match in Sweden. I think it's worth leaving the U21 squad as it is for March and see how the U21 team get on over there. That resut probably dictates the outcome of the group. Last nights result would have put a huge positivity amongst the camp so a pity to break it up straight away.

Perhaps the likes of Smallbone and Kilkenny join the senior squad for the first of their two matches and then join up with the U21's a few days later?

Kenny has talked about working closely with the other underage managers so this will be a good test of that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 148>
  Share Topic