You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 148>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:03pm
Great goal and great interview.
Impressive cameo and delighted for him and us as we fully deserved the 3pts.

Sponsored Links

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:05pm
Noel King mustn't know himself having to talk about an Ireland Under 21s team winning. Only now are we recovering from the likes of him and Don Givens being involved in our underage setups. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:05pm
We start playing a lot better went Smallbone went into the 10 position. 
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

So kilkenny is 22 in February next year and we have this qualification campaign up to mid June.

So can he still play up to then? 

He can play beyond then, it goes by year of the start date of qualification. Its always anyone born or after 1st Jan 20xx.

If were to qualify for the final he can still play in the finals in June 2023.

Interesting so if we get to the final, kilkenny will be 23 and playing u21 football 

Yes. It happens every u21 tournament. Edouard was 23 for France this summer. I think Milner played in 2009 when he was 23.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:09pm
[QUOTE=Trap junior]Why is Mrs. Brown doing analysis?
[/QUOTE
He is like a garden gnome with that hat
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Why is Mrs. Brown doing analysis?

LOL
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:17pm
I was at Tallaght on Fri night for the Italy match and left a bit disillusioned with the quality of these U21 players. Apart from 1 or 2, I couldnt see many coming through. I'd heard lots about them and was first time to see them in the flesh. Have taped tonights game to watch later so looking forward to seeing how they got on. Delighted to be shown there is more talent in the team than I thought!

Well done lads!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:21pm

So kilkenny is 22 in February next year and we have this qualification campaign up to mid June.

He can play beyond then, it goes by year of the start date of qualification. Its always anyone born or after 1st Jan 20xx.

Interesting so if we get to the final, kilkenny will be 23 and playing u21 football 

Under 21 is a bit strange like that, it doesn't really follow the age rules them same way the younger age groups do. It's an Under 21 tournament for the first few months of qualification but becomes effectively an Under 23 tournament by the time the finals come around (not that we'd know having never qualified!), Connor Ronan could have played for us in it at 23 if we had qualified for the last one.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

I like that o Neill . I googled him there and it says place of birth Republic of Ireland . If that’s correct he must have moved away quite young as has quite an English accent . Anyone have any ideas on his background . Thought he looked really good when he came on. Ferguson looks a beast

Not sure that he was born here, but his dad is from Waterford, his uncle is a regular at The RSC, he’s 100% committed to us according to him, I’ll try find out more
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

I like that o Neill . I googled him there and it says place of birth Republic of Ireland . If that’s correct he must have moved away quite young as has quite an English accent . Anyone have any ideas on his background . Thought he looked really good when he came on. Ferguson looks a beast

Not sure that he was born here, but his dad is from Waterford, his uncle is a regular at The RSC, he’s 100% committed to us according to him, I’ll try find out more

Thanks for that 
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:34pm

Thanks for that 

Just an update, slight correction,
Posted by his cousin: both his grandparents are Waterford, spent all his summers in Dunmore East, mother’s family from Galway, no English blood whatsoever, has turned down England
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:36pm
Great win and just about deserved, but jesus Crawford couldn't train frogs to hop. Started smallbone oop yet again. As for noel king and the rte panel, Lee o'connor Motm my hole, he nearly cost us 2 goals and a pen. Then they didn't even mention smallbone who was central to nearly everything we created and imo looks by far the best prospect in that team, he sees everything half a second before everyone else.Anyway pleased with the win which imo was achieved despite the coach. Why was Ebosele not involved btw?
Idah Dream!
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Under 21 is a bit strange like that, it doesn't really follow the age rules them same way the younger age groups do. It's an Under 21 tournament for the first few months of qualification but becomes effectively an Under 23 tournament by the time the finals come around (not that we'd know having never qualified!), Connor Ronan could have played for us in it at 23 if we had qualified for the last one.

Its the exact same for u17s and 19s, the only difference is those tournaments are held annually as opposed to biannually with the u21s.
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:46pm
We could actually qualify from this group if teams keep taking points off eachother. Still unlikely with away games in Italy and Sweden but you never knkw. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:47pm

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Its the exact same for u17s and 19s, the only difference is those tournaments are held annually as opposed to biannually with the u21s.

That's not correct. The 2022 under 19s finals will feature players born in 2003 or later - nobody in it will be older than 19 years old. The 2023 Euro under 21s finals, on the other hand, will feature players born 2000 or later, so there will be 23 year old players playing in that tournament, even though it is theoretically an under 21 competition. So they're actually run very differently to each other.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:49pm

Thanks for that 

Just an update, slight correction,
Posted by his cousin: both his grandparents are Waterford, spent all his summers in Dunmore East, mother’s family from Galway, no English blood whatsoever, has turned down England

Cheers. Post match interview for anyone looking for a smile: https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status/1460715671680176133?s=20
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:52pm
I'm not much of a fan of the Jim Crawford setup or style of play, but it's still encouraging to see that a team that is missing 8 would be starters can still go out and beat a strong nation like Sweden. I'd say Kilkenny, Bagan and Smallbone would be the only players from tonight that would make a full strength lineup at that age group.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:57pm
Good win.

we are comfortably the second best team in this group on paper - even without the likes of Parrott, Idah, Bazunu, Knight, Omobamidele, Collins etc. Unfortunately it's very difficult for us to finish second from our current position.

Smallbone has played premier league football, Kilkenny, Coventry, McGuinness, Ebosole and Bagan play quite regularly at Championship level etc. Many others are playing regularly in League 1 etc.

We shouldn't be dropping points to Luxembourg or losing to Montenegro, which will ultimately be what kills us.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 148>
  Share Topic