You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 148>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Manager is out of his depth was clear how badly we regressed when we lost 0-2 away to Italy 2 years ago when Kenny moved up to Senior Team.

There's no game plan at all.

That was Italys u20 team too because the u21s had covid issues. 
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 7:46pm
As a nation, we don't produce good football managers. Which is strange, considering Scotland, Wales and even Northern Ireland always produce a good few managing in the top three divisions in England and the top division in Scotland at any given time.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 11:40pm
Loads of problems with this setup, anyone who watched the Denmark game during the summer would have been going into this campaign with low expectations. Crawford is a poor enough manager, but the team isn't good enough to qualify anyway.

Obviously the seven senior lads are a massive loss, you'd usually be down 2 or 3 to the seniors at this level, but 7 is most of the team. Especially up front, we just don't have the players to replace Connolly, Parrott and Idah and then not having Bazunu, Collins and Omobamidele at the back, it's a huge drop off there also. Smallbone and Knight in midfield as well, it's a virtual B team other than Bagan and Kilkenny really.

I think it's time to ditch the 4-3-3 at this level as well, it was supposed to tie in with the seniors but they don't play that way anymore and it's clearly not working at under 21, so probably time to try something else.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:10am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Loads of problems with this setup, anyone who watched the Denmark game during the summer would have been going into this campaign with low expectations. Crawford is a poor enough manager, but the team isn't good enough to qualify anyway.

Obviously the seven senior lads are a massive loss, you'd usually be down 2 or 3 to the seniors at this level, but 7 is most of the team. Especially up front, we just don't have the players to replace Connolly, Parrott and Idah and then not having Bazunu, Collins and Omobamidele at the back, it's a huge drop off there also. Smallbone and Knight in midfield as well, it's a virtual B team other than Bagan and Kilkenny really.

I think it's time to ditch the 4-3-3 at this level as well, it was supposed to tie in with the seniors but they don't play that way anymore and it's clearly not working at under 21, so probably time to try something else.

Agree with most of that, especially ditching the 4-3-3. Mc Entee is a decent defender, so we should look to mirror the senior team's 3-4-2-1 imo. It would also give us a better idea of how these young lads might fit in to the senior set up if needed. 

I think youre a bit unfair singling out just Bagan and Kilkenny. Bagan didnt play well y'day but tbf he does look a prospect and is getting regular Ch football. Kilkenny played much better in the opening 2 games, the lack of game time since has clearly affected him, he got caught in possession a lot. Jake O'Brien has looked good and Coventry is a decent player at this level also. Amazed Noss didnt get the start after a good cameo vs Luxembourg. I wouldnt give up on the likes of Ferry and Gilbert either. However, those caliing for the likes of Kilkenny and Coventry to be called up to the senior squad last month were well wide of the mark, neither are close to ready yet imo. Amazing that Lee O'Connor got a senior cap, he really hasnt kicked on at all and he looks well short of that level.
Idah Dream!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:40am
Who was the main commentator for the u21 game last night? didn't recognise the voice. 
I love beer gardens
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:45am
Alan Cawley?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:57am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Alan Cawley?
he was co-commentator
I love beer gardens
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 10:33am
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Agree with most of that, especially ditching the 4-3-3. Mc Entee is a decent defender, so we should look to mirror the senior team's 3-4-2-1 imo. It would also give us a better idea of how these young lads might fit in to the senior set up if needed. 

I think youre a bit unfair singling out just Bagan and Kilkenny. Bagan didnt play well y'day but tbf he does look a prospect and is getting regular Ch football. Kilkenny played much better in the opening 2 games, the lack of game time since has clearly affected him, he got caught in possession a lot. Jake O'Brien has looked good and Coventry is a decent player at this level also. Amazed Noss didnt get the start after a good cameo vs Luxembourg. I wouldnt give up on the likes of Ferry and Gilbert either. However, those caliing for the likes of Kilkenny and Coventry to be called up to the senior squad last month were well wide of the mark, neither are close to ready yet imo. Amazing that Lee O'Connor got a senior cap, he really hasnt kicked on at all and he looks well short of that level.

I'd disagree slightly about the young midfielder Coventry/Kilkenny or Doyle's Hayes/Taylor being called up. Parrott isn't really ready but is called into the squad and rightly so. We had Arter coming of the bench. All 4 of these are actually playing at a higher level and Kilkenny is competing with the strongest set of CMs in the Championship. If he was with 20 other teams in the division he'd be playing imo. My one slight criticsm of Kenny that he didn't bring a young midfielder in off the bench even to see what how they did. Arter is not an alternative long term.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 10:47am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I'd disagree slightly about the young midfielder Coventry/Kilkenny or Doyle's Hayes/Taylor being called up. Parrott isn't really ready but is called into the squad and rightly so. We had Arter coming of the bench. All 4 of these are actually playing at a higher level and Kilkenny is competing with the strongest set of CMs in the Championship. If he was with 20 other teams in the division he'd be playing imo. My one slight criticsm of Kenny that he didn't bring a young midfielder in off the bench even to see what how they did. Arter is not an alternative long term.

I'd have no problem with an additional young midfielder being called up and I'd say Taylor and Molumby are the closest, I believe Kenny name checked Taylor, but he is just coming back from injury. We had too many attacking options in the last squad and not enough midfielders imo. We can look at the likes of Doyle Hayes, Ronan and the U21 lads in March. Mc Carthy, (if he has any remaining interest) can still force his way back in to the squad at least, if he can get regular 90 minute stints with Celtic. I wouldn't give up on him just yet (assuming he remains interested which is unclear). Molumby may also get minutes for WBA over the next month with the injury to Mowatt.
Idah Dream!
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 11:36am
What are Taylor and Doyle-Hayes like as players? I haven't seen much but I remember thinking Taylor was a bustling presence in the middle and Doyle-Hayes has impressed moreso with his passing any time I have seen him. Do we fancy either of them to come good as a 6? Coventry is the one I like but feels like a similar player to Cullen?

Molumby has work to do in establishing his best position and refining it I feel.

Edited by Eoink21 - 13 Oct 2021 at 11:37am
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

What are Taylor and Doyle-Hayes like as players? I haven't seen much but I remember thinking Taylor was a bustling presence in the middle and Doyle-Hayes has impressed moreso with his passing any time I have seen him. Do we fancy either of them to come good as a 6? Coventry is the one I like but feels like a similar player to Cullen?

Molumby has work to do in establishing his best position and refining it I feel.

I haven't seen much of Taylor but Doyle Hayes has looked really good at Hibs. I wouldn't be surprised if he did get a call up for senior team. Both players though are over 21 so can't play for this team.

I'd leave Coventry at this level. He still has a lot to do to get in the senior team in my opinion. Good player though. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:36pm
I think both Taylor and JDH are 8s really. Taylor is more of a box to box type, a bit like Molumby but with more of an attacking threat. JDH is more of a link player, doesn't score many goals but has a good eye for a pass and is able to pick out good forward passes. Gets about reasonably well defensively too.

Both would be worth a look in the seniors next year, both overage now for the 21s though.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 1:59pm
Taylor has fierce potential as a box to box player but he is incredibly versatile. Doyle Hayes is a ball playing CM can pick out a pass link up play. Can tackle too. Hopefully Johansson can play regularly for Fortuna Sittard too. Throw in Coventry/Kilkenny/Smallbone and all of a sudden you have a few young midfielders getting gametime at a decent level. It's needed as we are so light in that position.

Both decent players coming on and still young. Could see them going a fair way to top flight football if not playing it down the line. I do hope Taylor doesn't have any more hamstring trouble as we see with Obafemi that can be fatal to a player.
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:51pm

Taylor has fierce potential as a box to box player but he is incredibly versatile. Doyle Hayes is a ball playing CM can pick out a pass link up play. Can tackle too. Hopefully Johansson can play regularly for Fortuna Sittard too. Throw in Coventry/Kilkenny/Smallbone and all of a sudden you have a few young midfielders getting gametime at a decent level. It's needed as we are so light in that position.

Both decent players coming on and still young. Could see them going a fair way to top flight football if not playing it down the line. I do hope Taylor doesn't have any more hamstring trouble as we see with Obafemi that can be fatal to a player.

Obafemi is still alive kevin 😂 I wouldn't completely rule him out just yet. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Frabhoy Frabhoy wrote:

Obafemi is still alive kevin 😂 I wouldn't completely rule him out just yet. 

Fair. 😂😂 It is an issue if it keeps happening Seanie Maguire another actually blighted by injury. Worrying Obafemi only played 3 games for Swansea and he's out now again with an injury. He's talented but I do worry they will hold him back.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 10:03am
Obafemi has crap hamstrings, often once you get a repeated problem with the same injury like that, it can be a major blight on your career. He also doesn't seem interested in playing for the Ireland under 21s in any case. Not sure if he'd also turn down a senior call up but it's not something he's in line for anyway at this point in time.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 12:44pm
Would like to see Crawford mirror the senior set up and go with a 3-4-2-1 for the next round of games. I think we have the players for it and it would be nice to establish a bit of continuity and get a look at the U21s playing in comparable positions. It's not like the 4-4-1-1 system is working in any case. Something like
1. Maher
2. Ebosele
3. Bagan
4. Mc Guinness
5. O'Brien
6. Mc Entee
7. Coventry (c)
8. Kilkenny
9. Kayode
10. Noss
11. Smallbone
Idah Dream!
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 2:21pm
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 148>
  Share Topic