You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 148>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 1:15pm
I'm actually downbeat about this 21's campaign.
Dropping those two pts in Lux was massive.

The last campaign we did the double over Sweden and still failed to qualify and I can't see this team doing that double this time out.
Admittedly we were 4th seeds then and Iceland did us twice but now we're 3rd seeds so we're likely in a race for 2nd with Sweden but today's opponents will not let us past lightly.

Big game today.

Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 1:29pm
[QUOTE=Fozz]I'm actually downbeat about this 21's campaign.

The last campaign we did the double over Sweden and still failed to qualify and I can't see this team doing that double this time out.
Admittedly we were 4th seeds then and Iceland did us twice but now we're 3rd seeds so we're likely in a race for 2nd with Sweden but today's opponents will not let us past lightly.

Big game today. 
/QUOTE]

Edited by kevin100 - 12 Oct 2021 at 1:30pm
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Big game today.

Not sure why you are so pessimistic. We have some of the brightest talents playing for us in years, we're 2 wins and a draw from 3 games. I'm personally expecting a win today which should really pile the pressure on Italy. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 1:35pm

Big game today.

I'm not sold on the 21 coaches tactically tbh. I think Coventry and Kilkennys ball playing ability has been a huge difference they are a mile above what the 3 bottom ranked sides have in CM which gives us a chance of getting maximum points against them as they can control the game. 

Kayode/Ferguson got stick for not being in the game but I think Haaland would have struggled to not be isolated the way we were set up the last twice. Coaching staff are going to have to address that. 

Sweden and ourselves look in a battle indeed and we had stolen a march by beating Bosnia away. Not beating Luxembourg was criminal could be in a gorgeous position. Italy didn't exactly run Montenegro or Bosnia over either so I would harbour hopes of getting a result off them too. Would love to see Parrott drop to the 21s would had a bit of star quality.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Big game today.

I'm not sold on the 21 coaches tactically tbh. I think Coventry and Kilkennys ball playing ability has been a huge difference they are a mile above what the 3 bottom ranked sides have in CM which gives us a chance of getting maximum points against them as they can control the game. 

Kayode/Ferguson got stick for not being in the game but I think Haaland would have struggled to not be isolated the way we were set up the last twice. Coaching staff are going to have to address that. 

Sweden and ourselves look in a battle indeed and we had stolen a march by beating Bosnia away. Not beating Luxembourg was criminal could be in a gorgeous position. Italy didn't exactly run Montenegro or Bosnia over either so I would harbour hopes of getting a result off them too. Would love to see Parrott drop to the 21s would had a bit of star quality.

Yeah, far too many. 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 1:44pm
As tempting as it sounds to have Parrott drop back to the under 21s I think we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot if we did that. He's a senior team player and he's got two goals to back that up. I think he is better off where he is under the steady guidance of Kenny. He's the future striker of this team and the more time he has to work with and develop with Kenny the better. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Big game today.

Yeah, far too many. 

I said coaches as not to single out Crawford as underage is development for the senior team at the end of the day. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Big game today.

Not sure why you are so pessimistic. We have some of the brightest talents playing for us in years, we're 2 wins and a draw from 3 games. I'm personally expecting a win today which should really pile the pressure on Italy. 

My main concerns come from comparing who we lost from the last campaign to who replaced them.

I think defensively the new lads look solid with Bagan, McEntee, O'Brien & McGuinness not looking out of place.
I don't rate Ferry at FB but we've avoided that selection recently.

Can't argue that Kilkenny has massively stepped up and is arguably an improvement on Molumby.
Connell looked good in that position but has now been completely dropped while Johansson has never looked anything but assured when called upon.
Maher in goals looks very good so that back seven, I'd be happy with, subs and all.

It's ahead of this where we look to have dropped off a bit.

Ronan was key to the last campaign and, so far, Devoy or Tierney don't look to be at his level.  Tierney has other qualities though so maybe this comparison is unfair.  Devoy only getting the odd start and sub-shot so again may be unfair and needs more time.

But look beyond and we have lost Parrott, Connolly and Idah from the squad and the replacements are nowhere near.
Wright has done well (one of the best performers over the campaign so far) in that outside left slot but he's no Connolly.
JJ nicked a goal last day but his overall contribution is poor for me and he's not in Idah's league.

Finally there's no replacement for Parrott and I'm struggling to think of who could in the next year or two - Maybe Cassidy could come flying back or Gilsenan come up from the 19s?
Big asks on both fronts.
Ferguson is no doubt a massive prospect but the fact we're deploying a 16-year old (albeit it a huge lad!) in our 21's is not a good sign.

Would love to hear other's thoughts on this.

johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 3:24pm
My general thoughts is that we need to consistently produce talent before we can compete for top spot of a qualification group at u21 level ie. so that we're not in the position where we need the best seven U21 players to fill up our senior squad ie. Bazunu, Collins, Omobamidele, Knight, Parrott, Idah and Connolly

If we were in the position where we just needed 2/3 of that current crop in the senior squad (for example, Italy currently have two U21 players in their senior squad and England have three), we could in a good position to qualify for this tournament.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 3:40pm

Big game today.

agree with this unfortunately. in a tough group just cant be doing that. 7 from 9 to start the campaign sounds nice, but 2 of those against lux and only taking 4 from 6 is not good considering there will be much tougher tests. have to win today imo
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 3:43pm
Maher

O'Connor McGuiness O'Brien Bagan

Coventry Kilkenny

Gilbert Tierney Ferry

Ferguson

Bench seems to be made up of LOI players.

Edit:

Kayode, Ollie O'Neill, and Conor Noß are also on the bench. Those are the only non LOI players on the bench.

Edited by J89 - 12 Oct 2021 at 3:45pm
Fozzy B View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 3:43pm
Ireland U21 v Montenegro U21 Euro Qualifier KO 4.30pm

1.   Brian Maher
2.   Lee O'Connor
3.  Joel Bagen
4.  Mark McGuinness
13 Jack O'Brien
6.  Connor Coventry
7.  Gavin Kilkenny
17  Ross Tierney
15. Alex Gilbert
11. Will Ferry
19. Evan Ferguson

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 3:44pm
Ferguson in for Kayode, Ferry & Gilbert also start 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 4:10pm
Great to see Ferguson getting a start at just 16, lad already had a senior appearance at Brighton. His future is going to be massive.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 4:31pm
Some of these Montenegrin lads look like they could be Shane Long's dad.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 4:37pm
Jaysus. 
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 4:38pm
All to do now. Questionable decision making there. 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 4:42pm
Getting destroyed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 148>
  Share Topic