You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Under-21 Euro 2023 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 148>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 1:12am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Coventry getting a lot of unnecessary stick, was our best player in the second half today but he’s become an easy target for many on here.  
Not sure why he’s been targeted. He still looks to me like a decent prospect and was pretty good today .  Needs to get senior playing time somewhere next year. His first spell at Lincoln didn’t work out so hopefully he gets a good loan spell somewhere  
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 8:53am
People getting a bit overly sensitive about some honest statements about players that played this week. Compared to the best possible underage squad this squad was missing Bazunu, Collins, Omobamidele, Hodge, Knight, Finn Benoa, Smallbone, Parrott, Idah, Connolly and Obafemi. 

We're a small country and are only ever going to have a limited playing pool - that's an awful lot of players to be missing and, realistically, as a lot of them won't be coming back to Under 21, we need to be honest about the prospects of this squad. There are some talented players in there - McGuinness, Wright, Ebosele and Johansson might be the best prospects, but there are some average enough players filling out the squad also. Some haven't played much first team football despite being 21 now and it shows.

I do think though that given the limitations of the squad with all the missing players Jim Crawford should be looking at a different approach rather than relying purely on technical passing ability, because the players he has don't look good enough to play that kind of game. Hopefully after yesterday he will identify that issue and change things up for the qualifiers.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 9:48am
MrBrick sign of approval LOL

If your aim of youth football is to win matches then you may have have a point, suggesting the player progression to the seniors is somehow negative is a little weird. 

Young lads of 17,18,19 being told on a forum they’re sh*te and their pro career is over, or that we’re wasting our time with a certain player is embarrassing. 
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 10:42am
I only caught about 20 minutes of the game yesterday and it very much looked like men against boys, given the amount of eligible players we had in the seniors it's not really that surprising.

Does anyone know much about the Danish team? All I can find is their squad from the u21 championship game last week and most of the players are 21. If that was the squad that we played its no major surprise considering we had a lot of teenagers
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 10:57am
That was a different Danish squad to the one that played at the Euros. Most of the Euros squad would be overage for the next campaign, this would have been the squad for the next round of qualifiers - so born after 2/1/2000, the same as our squad. I think they were listed as an under 20 squad as the squad at the Euros were still officially the Under 21s.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

If your aim of youth football is to win matches then you may have have a point, suggesting the player progression to the seniors is somehow negative is a little weird. 

Young lads of 17,18,19 being told on a forum they’re sh*te and their pro career is over, or that we’re wasting our time with a certain player is embarrassing. 

I don't think anyone said that.

In relation to my own post, one poster said he thought the keeper had a great game and I thought he has a sh*te game, just a difference of opinion really.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I don't think anyone said that.

In relation to my own post, one poster said he thought the keeper had a great game and I thought he has a sh*te game, just a difference of opinion really.

Afolabi should prepare to be back in the LOI, can’t remember the poster, it doesn’t really matter, the amount of negative posts about Johansson, Parrott, Idah etc over the last 12 months is mad. 

Underage is about development, both personal & team. Seeing them win is good & all but it’s definitely not the most important thing. 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 4:16pm
Australia’s Olympic side beat Argentina in Japan.

Our performance doesn’t look too shabby in retrospect 

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Australia’s Olympic side beat Argentina in Japan.

Our performance doesn’t look too shabby in retrospect 

Was just thinking the exact same thing when I saw the result.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 9:59am
More class shown again by Dawson Devoy and if it continues, he should be well on his way to a first U21 cap in September.
Great to see a young lad, a creative player at that, go from strength to strength and I'd love to see how he'd compete at International U21 level.  Admirably, would be my guess.

Edited by Fozz - 23 Jul 2021 at 9:59am
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 1:23pm
See both Hodge and Smallbone won't be in the upcoming squad due to injures.
Both out longterm and not back yet, which is a shame.

But John-Joe looks set to be named in the squad again and hope he's fit and we get to se him in action Thumbs Up

Edited by Fozz - 24 Jul 2021 at 1:24pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

More class shown again by Dawson Devoy and if it continues, he should be well on his way to a first U21 cap in September.
Great to see a young lad, a creative player at that, go from strength to strength and I'd love to see how he'd compete at International U21 level.  Admirably, would be my guess.

Pity he's overage for the U21s after this campaign.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Hes only 19 no? I think he has another campaign at u21 if that's the case 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Hes only 19 no? I think he has another campaign at u21 if that's the case 

Born November 2001, next campaign will be for players born 2002.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 2:17pm
What?
He has a couple of years yet at this level as he's only 19!

Eligible if born on or after Jan 1, 2000.

Ah hold on, you mean he won't be eligible for the next campaign after this one, that hasn't even started?
Let's take it one campaign at a time Wink

Edited by Fozz - 24 Jul 2021 at 2:33pm
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 11:13am
We are in a group with Italy, Sweden, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Luxembourg. Need to top the group or be a best place 2nd place team to automatically qualify. Or go into a play-off scenario if we finish 2nd. Are we in with a shout here?

Getting to the Under 21 Euros in June / July 2023 would be great. The top 4 in that tournament get to the Olympics in Paris 2024.Now that would be something to really look forward to!!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 11:19am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

We are in a group with Italy, Sweden, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Luxembourg. Need to top the group or be a best place 2nd place team to automatically qualify. Or go into a play-off scenario if we finish 2nd. Are we in with a shout here?

Getting to the Under 21 Euros in June / July 2023 would be great. The top 4 in that tournament get to the Olympics in Paris 2024.Now that would be something to really look forward to!!

In theory QF's could be enough if one of England,Scotland,Wales or N.Ireland got the semis. GB don't send a mens team. Not sure whether UEFA use a ranking system or a playoff to decide the 4th team. 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 04 Aug 2021 at 11:22am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 11:58am
maybe lets see if we can get to the tournament first. Was wondering what our form was like with this particular set of players at U17 or u19? Looking back at the U21 friendlies in May/June, the midfield in particular with the likes of Conor Noss, Johannson, Conor Ceventry and Gavin Kilkenny all playing well in pre season might give us hope for a good start for the competition in Sept/Oct, as we dont play Italy or Sweden until later.

Edited by greenshoots - 04 Aug 2021 at 11:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 148>
  Share Topic