You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Taylor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 8:10pm
he's a central midfielder playing his first full season in League 1.

Goals count no matter what competition they're scored in, thats how it works.
Sponsored Links

Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

he's a central midfielder playing his first full season in League 1.

Goals count no matter what competition they're scored in, thats how it works.

And already the subject of a two million bid from a club a division up.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:00pm
Conor Hourihane averages double figures from midfield at Championship level and people think he's sh*te!

Ronan Curtis was the subject of interest from Championship level. Similarly, I've read little in re: to positivity about him on this forum.

FWIW, he's ranked as Peterborough's 6th best performing player on WhoScored when performances are aggregated, which suggests that he's ranked higher among Irish fans than he is by people who actually watch him every week.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Conor Hourihane averages double figures from midfield at Championship level and people think he's sh*te!

Ronan Curtis was the subject of interest from Championship level. Similarly, I've read little in re: to positivity about him on this forum.

FWIW, he's ranked as Peterborough's 6th best performing player on WhoScored when performances are aggregated, which suggests that he's ranked higher among Irish fans than he is by people who actually watch him every week.

Hes a young lad with a lot of potential so there is additional interest.

Hourihane has peaked and is not going to get better in his 30s

Curtis still has time but looks like championship might be his level.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:23pm
hope is no longer permitted

until moral improves, the beatings will continue 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 10:06am

I'm not sure what any of the above has to do with Jack Taylor scoring 7 goals.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:15pm
4 goals in 27 league games.

If we're including Football League Trophy goals, then Aaron Connolly had 5 goals for Brighton in 3 games in the same competition in 18/19, the same amount of goals he has scored over one-and-a-half seasons of PL football.

If you want to pad out his stats, that's your initiative. It's not incorrect to say he has either or.

No reason to be pedantic.
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:21pm
I think if we can all just agree he has scored 7 goals, not 4, I'm more than happy to move on.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:24pm
Yes. And goal machine Aaron Connolly has 11 goals for Brighton.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 25 Feb 2021 at 5:25pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:29pm
7 or 4 the lad is doing really well he’s young still plenty time to progress more and is progressing up the ranks relentlessly. Could be playing Championship football next year. Your always hoping lads will do a Egan,Doherty, Stevens,Randolph,Hourihane, Mcgoldrick etc and progress like this. Try and see the positives while acknowledging he is where he is the Championship would be another step up again for him.

Outside of the 6/7 lads in and around/playing for PL teams at 18-22 let’s say and the few like Knight and Collins standing out at Championship level we have an array of younger lads down in L1 and L2 at those ages and the hope is a few of these will progress into the top flight or high level Championship players in the next 5/6 years. Plenty won’t but the scope for it is obvious.

Edited by kevin100 - 25 Feb 2021 at 5:30pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:42pm
Isn't this the lad who scored two when the U21's beat the seniors in that match?

Anyway, seems to be going well but we need guys playing at a higher level if I'm honest so Taylor is one for the future.
That also applies to Scully, Parrott and the likes.  Good that they can play and hopefully do well in the 3rd tier but for our senior team, we need them playing and performing at higher levels. 

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Isn't this the lad who scored two when the U21's beat the seniors in that match?

Anyway, seems to be going well but we need guys playing at a higher level if I'm honest so Taylor is one for the future.
That also applies to Scully, Parrott and the likes.  Good that they can play and hopefully do well in the 3rd tier but for our senior team, we need them playing and performing at higher levels. 

Don’t disagree in general but the 2 positions I’d make an exception to it’s the No.10 role that Kenny seems clung to and at right midfield/right wing. Parrott who I think could be interesting in that 10 role and Scully at RW respectively. We are just so light in these positions and Hendrick is not the answer at No.10.

Taylor yes that’s the one. I can’t knock that hed be behind Knight Cullen Molumby Smallbone as far as young midfielders go if you count Cullen as youngish. I do see his potential to keep progressing and would be hopeful he will go the same way as Hourihane in the next 5/6 years driving on up the ladder. 

Edited by kevin100 - 25 Feb 2021 at 5:54pm
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 7:42pm
He's been named in a previous senior squad, and given his form this season and potential, is in contention for a call up to the next squad. That's the truth of the matter.

We're in no position to turn up our noses at the likes of Taylor. He's already been the subject of Championship transfer interest, and I rather suspect that if he'd joined Peterborough from the LoI rather than the National League people on here would be falling over themselves in calling for his inclusion.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

He's been named in a previous senior squad, and given his form this season and potential, is in contention for a call up to the next squad. That's the truth of the matter.

We're in no position to turn up our noses at the likes of Taylor. He's already been the subject of Championship transfer interest, and I rather suspect that if he'd joined Peterborough from the LoI rather than the National League people on here would be falling over themselves in calling for his inclusion.

Ah the inverse of that is true as well in fairness.

Ronan, Coventry and Crowley, off the top of my head, have flattered to deceive at about 10 British clubs between them by now yet get far more attention than Irish-born lads. Then you have lads like Jason Knight and Nathan Collins coming out of nowhere and looking more suited for high level football

A few years ago MON was getting lambasted for not rolling out the red carpet for Liam Kelly, and he's currently toiling away with Oxford and looking like he's reached his level there.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:09pm

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Ah the inverse of that is true as well in fairness.

Ronan, Coventry and Crowley, off the top of my head, have flattered to deceive at about 10 British clubs between them by now yet get far more attention than Irish-born lads. Then you have lads like Jason Knight and Nathan Collins coming out of nowhere and looking more suited for high level football

A few years ago MON was getting lambasted for not rolling out the red carpet for Liam Kelly, and he's currently toiling away with Oxford and looking like he's reached his level there.

Collins and Knight are clearly outstanding young footballers, and I doubt many supporters are calling for Ronan et al in preference to them.

I accept your point on Kelly who's obviously failed to live up to the initial hype. Indeed many Oxford fans appear to rate Sykes ahead of him based on what I've read recently.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:17pm
Tbf to Coventry he’s had one loan which was cut short due to corona and has been injured all this year. 

The other 2 I do agree with. Can I ask who was begging for Kelly 3/4 years ago? 😂
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:49pm
I'd like to see the likes of Coventry and Connell go down the LoI loan route this season for a few months, it's the only way either will be playing any decent amount of senior football any time soon.

Taylor is in a different position though. Two or three injuries or call offs in midfield would get him into the senior squad, similar to last autumn.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'd like to see the likes of Coventry and Connell go down the LoI loan route this season for a few months, it's the only way either will be playing any decent amount of senior football any time soon.

Taylor is in a different position though. Two or three injuries or call offs in midfield would get him into the senior squad, similar to last autumn.

On that note, Joe Hodge is out for a month with a back injury.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic