You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Green White Orange" 1921-2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 3:03pm
Best of luck with the book Eddie, you deserve a bit of success for the work you’ve put in over the years. Fair play to you.

One question I have is, what happens now? Are you done? What happens to all the gear? Sell it for charity or give it back to those who donated? Genuinely curious now that it’s all done.
Sponsored Links

irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Best of luck with the book Eddie, you deserve a bit of success for the work you’ve put in over the years. Fair play to you.

One question I have is, what happens now? Are you done? What happens to all the gear? Sell it for charity or give it back to those who donated? Genuinely curious now that it’s all done.

Thanks Bundy, I appreciate the kind words.

My end date was always the Centenary Year of the FAI in 2021 from the point of view that I have been at this for 19 years and also the Centenary is the right place to finish as I have some sort of framework on the collection that it only covers the first 100 years. Its the right time to stop. Its still my hope that a suitable fit for purpose home can be found for the "James Nolan Collection".

Since 2006 I met with the FAI & the Aviva Stadium and lobbied politicians and ministers for the inclusion of a football museum in the new Aviva Stadium prior to its completion but unfortunately that was not to be.

Since 2015 I have met with Dublin City Council and the FAI and lobbied politicians and ministers for the inclusion of a national football museum in the new Dalymount Park, the spiritual home of Irish football but I do not think any plans for a football musuem of any substance can be included due to the space requirements of a UEFA Cat 3 facility.

Since 2018 I have met with many private business owners from around the country as well as politicians to see could a suitable venue for the viability of an Irish football museum being created but I wasn't able to get it over the line for 2021.

I have loaned for free a large number of items to the Croke Park Museum, the Aviva Stadium tour and the recent National Football Exhibition 2020 project that toured the country. I have also visited national schools with a free mini exhibition that I have done myself.

The website will always remain I just will not be adding new items say from 2022 so in essence the active part of the collecting is finished. I will of course try and backfill any spaces that are in the collection from 1921-2021 if they become available but I think as the museum website stands now I think I have done all I can. Hopefully the Centenary Year of the FAI can maybe give the project some more exposure and in 2022 perhaps there could be an exhibition to end the Centenary celebrations.

I guess I really had hoped the collection would have found a permanent home by now but as of now I have no intention of breaking up the collection and selling it. Its funny I cant give the items away and there is no appetite for a museum yet I am inundated with requests from people looking to buy the exhibits from me for themselves!!!. I will continue to maintain the collection and pay for its storage and the special insurance policy I have on it as long as I can but if nothing happens I will leave the collection to my two sons. This has never been a commercial venture for myself in any way shape or form and I have never had a sponsor or financial backing and if I told you what I had spent personally to get the collection to this point you would commit me!

Edited by irelandshirts - 03 Jun 2021 at 4:46pm
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:03am
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

Thanks Bundy, I appreciate the kind words.

My end date was always the Centenary Year of the FAI in 2021 from the point of view that I have been at this for 19 years and also the Centenary is the right place to finish as I have some sort of framework on the collection that it only covers the first 100 years. Its the right time to stop. Its still my hope that a suitable fit for purpose home can be found for the "James Nolan Collection".

Since 2006 I met with the FAI & the Aviva Stadium and lobbied politicians and ministers for the inclusion of a football museum in the new Aviva Stadium prior to its completion but unfortunately that was not to be.

Since 2015 I have met with Dublin City Council and the FAI and lobbied politicians and ministers for the inclusion of a national football museum in the new Dalymount Park, the spiritual home of Irish football but I do not think any plans for a football musuem of any substance can be included due to the space requirements of a UEFA Cat 3 facility.

Since 2018 I have met with many private business owners from around the country as well as politicians to see could a suitable venue for the viability of an Irish football museum being created but I wasn't able to get it over the line for 2021.

I have loaned for free a large number of items to the Croke Park Museum, the Aviva Stadium tour and the recent National Football Exhibition 2020 project that toured the country. I have also visited national schools with a free mini exhibition that I have done myself.

The website will always remain I just will not be adding new items say from 2022 so in essence the active part of the collecting is finished. I will of course try and backfill any spaces that are in the collection from 1921-2021 if they become available but I think as the museum website stands now I think I have done all I can. Hopefully the Centenary Year of the FAI can maybe give the project some more exposure and in 2022 perhaps there could be an exhibition to end the Centenary celebrations.

I guess I really had hoped the collection would have found a permanent home by now but as of now I have no intention of breaking up the collection and selling it. Its funny I cant give the items away and there is no appetite for a museum yet I am inundated with requests from people looking to buy the exhibits from me for themselves!!!. I will continue to maintain the collection and pay for its storage and the special insurance policy I have on it as long as I can but if nothing happens I will leave the collection to my two sons. This has never been a commercial venture for myself in any way shape or form and I have never had a sponsor or financial backing and if I told you what I had spent personally to get the collection to this point you would commit me!

In all fairness, the time and effort - not mentioning the cost - you have put into it is unbelievable. There’s enough football people and football projects in the country that you would think would facilitate your request in some way. It’s mad that you’ve been at this for so long with no place to put everything for the public to see. I was actually going to ask for a ballpark figure of what you’ve invested in just collecting the jerseys but it’s unfair to do so.

One question I do have is how have you got so many contacts? Is it just through the years you’ve developed them? For instance, Robbie Brady’s top from the Italy game in 2016. How did you come across that? Brady doesn’t need the money so you certainly didn’t buy it. But how did you get that one? The question could be asked for any of the jerseys from the significant games over the years, I’d have thought those would be off limits and the players would keep them. Especially debut jerseys, tournament jerseys that are literally one of a kind.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 4:20pm
FAO BUNDY: The 2 questions I get asked the most are (1) Where/How do I get all the exhibits (2) How much have I spent and what are they all worth?

Im just an ordinary fan I dont work for the FAI or have a relative who is a former player. I had no set plan in 2002 when Steven Reid gave me his shirt after the Germany game in Japan as to how the last 19 years would pan out, it just happened. People ask me do I have any advice how to start collecting and really I dont. Over the years people have seen the website and maybe read the first book and people have reached out to me with items that they may have or their family have etc. Id rather let the exhibits speak for themselves rather than go into loads of boring details and I hope they do. A sample of which are below.

As for the £ value of them really to me they are priceless. This project has never been a commercial venture for me in any way. Ive never had a sponsor or a wealthy backer so everything ive done has been off my own steam. Im not a wealthy person, ive a normal job, ive a mortgage, loans, a wife, 2 kids but I wouldn't really be a big drinker, dont smoke, gamble, not big into fashion so im not a clothes horse and lead a very boring existence so ive probably put all my own disposable income into this project since 2002. Even after the book I will still have personal loans outstanding from the project so the book and the project will end up costing me money but as the old credit card ad goes... "flights to Germany 500 euro, match tickets for Ireland v England at Euro 88 in Stuttgart 30 euro, the shirt Ray Houghton wore when he scored the winning goal...Priceless... for everything else there's Mastercard!

Edited by irelandshirts - 05 Jun 2021 at 4:54pm

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 4:36pm
some great shirts. The fozzy bear one is gas!
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 4:55pm
The very first Ireland shirt in our history that was green in colour! Worn v Wales by Johnny Murray in an inter league FAIFS game v Wales in 1925. The 1924 Ireland shirt was .......blue

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 4:59pm
Chris Hughtons shirt worn v Northern Ireland in Belfast in 1988. This shirt style was only ever worn 2 times in our history. Chris was the first mixed race Irish international when he made his debut. How great that our team like our country is now more multi cultural.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 5:01pm
From Gavin Bazunu in 2021 right the way back to 1921 and when the first ever Ireland team played in the 1924 Paris Olympic Games to also become the nations first ever Olympians we have had an incredible international football history over the last 100 years.

I hope "Green White Orange" can tell that story and honour all those who have worn our shirt.

Edited by irelandshirts - 05 Jun 2021 at 5:04pm

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 8:20am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Cracking interview very emotional stuff about James Nolan.

Thanks DM. Its difficult to get the story of the museum out in just words on a forum or social media so I will be doing hopefully a few pieces about the project and the James Nolan Collection.

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm brutal at anything techie but I just did a live podcast with The Green Machine with the London Branch of the Irish supporters club. It's on YouTube but for the life of me I can't post the link here. Maybe someone could oblige?

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 10:23am
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 10:32am

Thanks DM. As I said it's difficult to try and give people an idea about the project in just a few lines in a post on a forum /social media etc so delighted to be able to go into a bit more detail here.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 10:34am

Thanks DM. As I said it's difficult to try and give people an idea about the project in just a few lines in a post on a forum /social media etc so delighted to be able to go into a bit more detail here.

You come across very well on both the above interviews.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 3:44pm
Eddie
Congrats on the book.

I won't be getting it sent to Munich (21€) - is post included to an Irish address ?

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 1:45pm
FAO BohsinMunich,

The book has *FREE SHIPPING* in Ireland so if you want it sent to a home address here that is no problem.

The book as I mentioned before is physically going to be a large book and I am told the finished book will be a 2KG parcel when dispatched in September and it will sent by a priority tracked shipping service worldwide. The cost to Germany for example for a 2kg parcel tracked and signed for is €21.

Edited by irelandshirts - 08 Jun 2021 at 1:50pm

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 2:24pm

FAO BohsinMunich,

The book has *FREE SHIPPING* in Ireland so if you want it sent to a home address here that is no problem.

The book as I mentioned before is physically going to be a large book and I am told the finished book will be a 2KG parcel when dispatched in September and it will sent by a priority tracked shipping service worldwide. The cost to Germany for example for a 2kg parcel tracked and signed for is €21.

That's a fair sized book, small turkey though
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 5:37pm

FAO BohsinMunich,

Eddie
Thanks for the response.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 11:45am
Remembering James Nolan today on the 9th anniversary of his tragic passing in Poland in 2012.

I have been very fortunate to get to know James parents Jimmy and Essie well over the years and they are the nicest people you could meet. From having visited their home in Blessington its clear how loved and missed James is and what a light he was in the Nolan families life.

Since 2012 my humble museum project at irelandsoccershirts.com has been dedicated to James' memory and I am delighted as the project draws to a close that the "Green White Orange" book will also be dedicated to him.

As I said I dont really know what will happen the collection into the future but I would love if it can keep James Nolans name alive and associated with the team he loved to support.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic