You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Journalists/writers - who's good and who's bad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Did anyone happen to notice a certain Irish sports journo on Twitter have a bit of a breakdown a few weekends ago, some very personal tweets at about 12.30/1 am that were deleted the next morning?

His missus (now ex) had his log in details and used his on twotter to out him
 The fella in question is a bit of a bogey 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Did anyone happen to notice a certain Irish sports journo on Twitter have a bit of a breakdown a few weekends ago, some very personal tweets at about 12.30/1 am that were deleted the next morning?

His missus (now ex) had his log in details and used his on twotter to out him
 The fella in question is a bit of a bogey 
This half-gossiping is bringing out the worst in me.LOL Any sort of a clue or message would be tremendous.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 3:42pm
Conor Gallagher is excellent. Gavan Reilly has been a real addition to the media market. The late Paul Anthony Mcdermott was humorous and insightful. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 3:48pm
Jennifer O'Connell is the worst for me, same article every single week ("10 reasons Food in Dublin is great"). 
Charlie Weston is complete clickbait at this stage too ("You could be paying 1000% too much on your shopping" - click inside - stop buying champagne)

I like Ian O'Riordan, Vincent Hogan, Fintan O'Toole, Dave McWilliams.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Jennifer O'Connell is the worst for me, same article every single week ("10 reasons Food in Dublin is great"). 
Charlie Weston is complete clickbait at this stage too ("You could be paying 1000% too much on your shopping" - click inside - stop buying champagne)

McWilliams' podcast is brilliant, but his articles in the Times on a Saturday is a bit pointless when you have listened to it.

I enjoy Frank McNally too.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 3:58pm

Who?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:00pm
Ciaran O’Ragaillagh

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 30 Jan 2021 at 4:00pm
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Conor Gallagher is excellent. Gavan Reilly has been a real addition to the media market. The late Paul Anthony Mcdermott was humorous and insightful. 
Done f**k all for West Bromwich today
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Some trick as she lives in Waterford 😀😀😀
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Martin Samuel is one of those sportswriters who is revered in England and I can't for the life of me think why! Henry Winter is another one. Ken Early would be similar at home.

I enjoy Marina Hyde, even though I think she is very much a part of the problem, but she is funny.  Polly Toynbee is a decent writer, I have to admit, but I can't read her without getting annoyed. I believe Phil Ochs summed her up in a song once!LOL I only agree with Owen Jones about 90% of the time, but I do enjoy his writing aside of that.  I only agree with O'Toole about half the time, but he is a national treasure. I don't think I have ever disagreed with Monbiot, but he is unquestionably an excellent writer. Gary Younge, John Harris, Naomi O'Leary and Arwa Mahdawi are all writers I would read based on name rather than headlines. Scally, the Irish Times man in Berlin, is excellent too. 
Someone mentioned Chris Johns and he is very enjoyable, for a posh capitalist!
On the other side, the likes of Nick Cohen, Andrew Rawnsley and Jonathan Freedland are barely literate.

I love Eamonn Sweeney and rarely agree with him, or even have much of an interest in the subject. I haven't read much of him in a while though. His book on following Sligo Rovers is a masterpiece. Donald McRae is similar.  

Football wise, Michael Walker's recent eulogy to Colin Bell might change my opinion of him! It was an incredible piece. Harry Pearson is absolutely brilliant, as is David Conn. There are still others out there who are great, but my lack of interest in the game at franchise level means I don't bother any more.

Great call on Eamon Sweeney, a truly great writer.  

I wouldn’t call Colm McCarthy a journalist.  He is an economist does an weekly article that gives his economic analysis.  But he is or certainly was a working economist.  
AKA pedantic kunt
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 5:22pm
 Una Mullally likes shes being a slave and oppressed since the day she was born. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 5:26pm
mick Clifford is probably the best journalist in Ireland at the moment imo. Katie Hannon too is excellent. Nicola Tallant is very good on crime imo.  Sean Whelan of Rte is very good too esp in his previous posting as economic correspondent. 

David Sneyed is an excellent football journalist. 

Edited by Baldrick - 30 Jan 2021 at 5:28pm
AKA pedantic kunt
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 5:34pm
I did like Eamon Sweeney's book "The Road to Croker" and the one about Sligo Rovers, even if the latter was a bit derivative from Fever Pitch and especially Not Playing For Celtic by David Bennie (which is very good)

But I mainly find Sweeney's articles fairly turgid, they're like sports writing for beginners, the one about Stephen Rochford a few years back was one of the biggest piles of sh*te I've ever read

Neil Francis can be very good when on form but he is also prone to throw out the odd stinker, especially when he veers into social commentary, he veered into writing about Colin Kaepernick a while back and it was car crash

If he sticks to rugby analysis and humorous whimsical tales from days of yore he's worth reading 

Don't care what people think of Paul Kimmage, he has done enough to be considered a great writer in my view, he has upset all the right people over the course of his career

Edited by sid waddell - 30 Jan 2021 at 5:42pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

mick Clifford is probably the best journalist in Ireland at the moment imo. Katie Hannon too is excellent. Nicola Tallant is very good on crime imo.  Sean Whelan of Rte is very good too esp in his previous posting as economic correspondent. 

Be good if he could go more than two minutes without saying f**k any time he's interviewed

He was on Second Captains a couple of weeks back and was talking about Stephen Kenny and Alan Kelly etc., he did a monologue which went on about five or six minutes and said nothing of interest, it was painful, Ken Early was too polite to interupt

Katie Hannon is the thinking man's idea of a ride and a good, versatile journalist

Clifford is a good journalist but blotted his copy book in a big way with the way he reacted to those far rights demonstrations some months back, he made a tool of himself

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 6:18pm
I'm not fan of the type of 'progressive' journalism which has somewhat of an "in fairness..." attitude to Sinn Fein. Drawn from the progressive wing, they have made the mistake that the Shinners are anything more than a populist party, which could stand on the centre right as much as the centre left. Sure, its a counterweight to FF/FG in electoral terms, but the Labour Party and the SD's are the real home for the Irish progressives.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I'm not fan of the type of 'progressive' journalism which has somewhat of an "in fairness..." attitude to Sinn Fein. Drawn from the progressive wing, they have made the mistake that the Shinners are anything more than a populist party, which could stand on the centre right as much as the centre left. Sure, its a counterweight to FF/FG in electoral terms, but the Labour Party and the SD's are the real home for the Irish progressives.
How is a right of centre party home for progressives? I have some time for the SDs, but Labour are a regressive party.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 6:24pm
Irish Politics thread for discussing politics lads.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Be good if he could go more than two minutes without saying f**k any time he's interviewed

He was on Second Captains a couple of weeks back and was talking about Stephen Kenny and Alan Kelly etc., he did a monologue which went on about five or six minutes and said nothing of interest, it was painful, Ken Early was too polite to interupt

Katie Hannon is the thinking man's idea of a ride and a good, versatile journalist

Clifford is a good journalist but blotted his copy book in a big way with the way he reacted to those far rights demonstrations some months back, he made a tool of himself

“Thinking mans idea of a ride” 
Clown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic