You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mipo Odubeko

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 32>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 11:59am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I'm usually fairly forgiving in regards to dual qualified young lads needing time to consider their options but I think we need to start attaching more value to the jersey. We have had our pants pulled down publicly a few times now. If that means cutting loose a few players to make a point then so be it. 

Big Jack dumping O'Leary would have seemed counter productive but he understood the concept of team building very well. Being committed to the cause should be the absolute minimum requirement. 

Yeah I'd agree with this, nationality and identity is extremely complex so as you say, I'd be pretty forgiving and if he was torn between Nigeria and Ireland then I'd understand, but if he's angling for England (which he seems to be), f**k him. 
At least the worst performance of last season wasn’t by an Irishman 😂
Sponsored Links

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

He can f**k off if he chooses England. I've said it before but if a young Irish lad who's parents are from an African country like Nigeria or any of them he can choose them but it's disappointing for us but if they pick England it's all money motivated and shows a real lack of morals.

If it's England he's gunning for I hope he fails, I hope he then fails for Nigeria and then I hope he declares for Ireland and doesn't get a call up ever. 

Ireland are the ugly girl at the dance for Mipo. If he does choose ireland, and I hope he doesn't at this point, it will be for career aspirations not any real ties to us.

He could be a good player, he could be a poor player, but one thing for sure Is that he's not irish. He doesn't even want to play for ireland at underage level that won't tie him down. 

Born in Ireland and grew up here for 14 or 15 years before moving to England to further his career. But he's not Irish because his agent is considering his international options and because you said so. 

Yeah. His agent told him to put on an English accent as well. And Mipo has no say in what his agent does. If his agent told him to jump off a bridge, he'd do it.

Plenty of people are born here and don't consider themselves Irish. Dennis Cirkin would be another.

He isn't even the only Irish-born player at West Ham who doesn't consider himself Irish FFS!

The hilarious thing is is the shoe was on the other foot and it was an English player born and bred in England declaring for Ireland because they're too sh*t to play for England, you'd be having hot flushes and insisting that they're Irish.

The English accent thing is a red herring. Plenty Irish lads have done this. What part of England is Cork in Tyreik? https://youtu.be/E71VrlLBEPY
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 12:35pm
What does that have to do with anything? Maybe Tyreik is embarrassed to be Irish. I've met people like that. Not everyone is a lad who wears shorts and GAA jerseys in -8°C weather and listens to The Wolfe Tones.

Bottom line is Mipo is completely disinterested in playing for Ireland even if it doesn't tie him down, and Jim Crawford sounds frustrated at the lack of manners in even picking up a phone to tell him as much.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 25 Aug 2021 at 12:42pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Bottom line is Mipo is completely disinterested in playing for Ireland even if it doesn't tie him down, and Jim Crawford sounds frustrated at the lack of manners in even picking up a phone to tell him as much.

I watched the YT interview on the FAI site and that's what I picked up also.
Before, he was sounding open and encouraging but this time he just jumped straight from Mipo onto talking about Johansson and his desire to play for us, and that's what we need and want etc.

Was telling, and JC has a history with Mipo from when they were kids so if he's refusing to even talk to the manager, it's poor form.

I also get the impresson the ball is firmly in the players corner as Jim said the lines of communication are always open, suggesting you can call us whenever you like.
I hope that's the case and we get on with focussing on the lads who want to play for us.

Squad announced Friday...hopefully the start of an exciting campaign and I can't wait to head out to see em in November in Tallaght.

Edited by Fozz - 25 Aug 2021 at 12:46pm
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 4:54pm
The only way we can ever compete with the big boys consistently is with players who are 100% committed and have the right attitude. 

I have no issue if he chooses Nigeria. That's fair enough but any player that uses the residency rule for international football is a mercenary pure and simple. I wouldn't like to see us use it either. No issue with granny rule.

On a side issue, but related. People say that playing for England is more lucrative....which it is. However if you are at the level to be picked by england (given the amount of options they have) you are surely already coining it. Alternatively playing international football for Ireland means you get your profile up and potentially kick start your career.

All these youngsters are at the point where most aspiring footballers careers end. The jump from U23 to first team is huge and International football at this stage might kick start a senior career.

So even if you were picking a team based purely on what's best for your career I think a lot of these young lads are making silly choices and being driven by agents that just want to hit gold once.

I wonder what Liam Kelly would say if he was called up now ....u missed the boat son!
It's not me it's you:-)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 8:05am
Odubeko linked with a permanent move to Huddersfield Town as, despite Moyes having to play wingers as strikers at times, he's still not even making the bench for West Ham this season.

Edited by You Tell Me - 27 Aug 2021 at 8:05am
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 8:08am
Ironically, his now team mate Okoflex came extremely close to a permanent move to Huddersfield last season, deal broke down at the last minute.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:11am
I thought this lad was hot property? I've been giving the subject no energy as he appeared a mercenary early doors.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 9:23am
I'd actually say fairplay to him! Not going to get game time at West Ham more likely to get it at Huddersfield hence is off to establish himself! Pity Obafemi for example isn't banging the door down to go out and play was offered to Blackburn they wanted him he should have taken it! 

Ireland thing is what it is file under who cares he doesn't show much appetite in playing for us guessing it's Nigeria he will end up playing for and good luck to him if he does it's his native country he's entitled to! 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 10:01am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I thought this lad was hot property? I've been giving the subject no energy as he appeared a mercenary early doors.

He is to a point but it's a long way from being a good 18 year old to playing premier league football as Troy Parrott found out.

I would actually give him credit if he turns down a West Ham contract to go and play games at a lower level. He was hopeless when he got a chance for West Ham last season. I'd suggest League 1 would be a better starting point than the Championship though, although Huddersfield aren't great so maybe it would make sense.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 9:06pm
Signs for Huddersfield on a season long loan.
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 11:50pm
Big time Mipo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 11:54am
Has been sent back to West Ham.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 11:56am
Another in a growing list of young Irish forwards who just simply aren’t performing well enough. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Another in a growing list of young Irish forwards who just simply aren’t performing well enough. 

Who?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 12:52pm
Odubeko. Along with Connolly, Parrott, Obafemi.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Odubeko. Along with Connolly, Parrott, Obafemi.

That's up for debate.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 1:05pm
Terrible loan for him. I think they realised very early on that he was nowhere near Championship standard at this stage and gave up on him, he has hardly made their bench in months.

Think he might be one that may need to go right down to League 2 level and try to develop from there. But the time he played for West Ham in the cup it was against a non league team and he even struggled to make an impact in that game.

I heard previously that he was very talented but had a serious attitude problem, even going back as far as the time he left Ireland in his early teens. Nothing I've seen from him since suggests his attitude has improved much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 32>
  Share Topic