You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mipo Odubeko

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 32>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 6:50pm
Idah, Omobamidele and Oko-flex the only Irish youngsters mentioned in that article.

2nd year in a row for Idah.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 5:30pm
It sounds like the conversation Jim Crawford wanted to have with Mipo has taken place and Mipo has made his position clear, he's not interested.

I remember Liam Kelly taking a similar position a few years ago because he wanted to hold out for an England call up. I see that he has signed on a permanent deal with Rochdale today.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 5:37pm
It's the same old story. Once they turn down international call ups, the jig is up.

It's amazing that there still people on here who believe that "concentrating on club form" bollocks that gets trotted out. 

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 5:53pm
It it’s a choice between Nigeria and Ireland and he needs a bit more time to make up his mind, I would kind of think ok as it is fairly big decision if you see yourself as half and half. But if he is holding out with the England possibility then I think we should forget about him. It’s obviously not about the pride of wearing the jersey for your country. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

It's the same old story. Once they turn down international call ups, the jig is up.

It's amazing that there still people on here who believe that "concentrating on club form" bollocks that gets trotted out. 

I totally agree, 

what makes it worse is that the "concentrating on club form"  is not code for, 'I dont want to play for you,' it's code for - 'I don't care about ireland  I think I can do better but if it doesn't work out I may settle for you.'.

The fact is, he's not irish, and yes I know he was born in ireland, but it seems to be more of an inconvenience to him as its getting in the way of his possible England ambitions.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It it’s a choice between Nigeria and Ireland and he needs a bit more time to make up his mind, I would kind of think ok as it is fairly big decision if you see yourself as half and half. But if he is holding out with the England possibility then I think we should forget about him. It’s obviously not about the pride of wearing the jersey for your country. 

I'm sorry Andy, I really don't buy the time to think position. Maybe he feels Nigerian today, irish tomorrow and English next week. 

How many call ups does he need to reject? how many calls does he need to ignore? Mipo is looking out for Mipo.

Being irish is not about feelings. There are people on this forum that are non ireland born but would rather not support a team if it's not ireland.... as bad as we are at the moment. Its about cultural ties.

Edited by Left foot - 24 Aug 2021 at 6:05pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The fact is, he's not irish, and yes I know he was born in ireland, but it seems to be more of an inconvenience to him as its getting in the way of his possible England ambitions.

The passport might come in handy for him some day all the same, he'll be happy to have that rather than a Nigerian or a British one, but he doesn't want to play for us at the same time.

Of course the other thing is that playing for Ireland Under 21s at his age in no way ties him to us in any case. He could ditch us again if he wanted to. And still he doesn't accept a call up, which I think is telling.

Edited by You Tell Me - 24 Aug 2021 at 6:07pm
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 9:19am
He can f**k off if he chooses England. I've said it before but if a young Irish lad who's parents are from an African country like Nigeria or any of them he can choose them but it's disappointing for us but if they pick England it's all money motivated and shows a real lack of morals.

If it's England he's gunning for I hope he fails, I hope he then fails for Nigeria and then I hope he declares for Ireland and doesn't get a call up ever. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 9:38am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

He can f**k off if he chooses England. I've said it before but if a young Irish lad who's parents are from an African country like Nigeria or any of them he can choose them but it's disappointing for us but if they pick England it's all money motivated and shows a real lack of morals.

If it's England he's gunning for I hope he fails, I hope he then fails for Nigeria and then I hope he declares for Ireland and doesn't get a call up ever. 

Ireland are the ugly girl at the dance for Mipo. If he does choose ireland, and I hope he doesn't at this point, it will be for career aspirations not any real ties to us.

He could be a good player, he could be a poor player, but one thing for sure Is that he's not irish. He doesn't even want to play for ireland at underage level that won't tie him down. 

Edited by Left foot - 25 Aug 2021 at 9:39am
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 10:05am
f**k him, it's not club football. As Kilbane says you shouldn't need time to choose, you're either Irish or your not so it should be a decision of the heart not the head. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 10:45am

Ireland are the ugly girl at the dance for Mipo. If he does choose ireland, and I hope he doesn't at this point, it will be for career aspirations not any real ties to us.

He could be a good player, he could be a poor player, but one thing for sure Is that he's not irish. He doesn't even want to play for ireland at underage level that won't tie him down. 

Born in Ireland and grew up here for 14 or 15 years before moving to England to further his career. But he's not Irish because his agent is considering his international options and because you said so. 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 10:48am

I'm usually fairly forgiving in regards to dual qualified young lads needing time to consider their options but I think we need to start attaching more value to the jersey. We have had our pants pulled down publicly a few times now. If that means cutting loose a few players to make a point then so be it. 

Big Jack dumping O'Leary would have seemed counter productive but he understood the concept of team building very well. Being committed to the cause should be the absolute minimum requirement. 
El Puto Amo
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Born in Ireland and grew up here for 14 or 15 years before moving to England to further his career. But he's not Irish because his agent is considering his international options and because you said so

Not because I said Eoink, his actions speak volumes. He was born in ireland but he clearly doesn't celebrate the fact to say the least.

There are football fans born outside of ireland that would chew there own arm off to represent the country they call their own.

Being born in ireland doesn't make you irish, being born outside ireland doesn't mean you're not irish.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Born in Ireland and grew up here for 14 or 15 years before moving to England to further his career. But he's not Irish because his agent is considering his international options and because you said so. 

Yeah. His agent told him to put on an English accent as well. And Mipo has no say in what his agent does. If his agent told him to jump off a bridge, he'd do it.

Plenty of people are born here and don't consider themselves Irish. Dennis Cirkin would be another.

He isn't even the only Irish-born player at West Ham who doesn't consider himself Irish FFS!

The hilarious thing is is the shoe was on the other foot and it was an English player born and bred in England declaring for Ireland because they're too sh*t to play for England, you'd be having hot flushes and insisting that they're Irish.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 25 Aug 2021 at 11:12am
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 11:10am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I'm usually fairly forgiving in regards to dual qualified young lads needing time to consider their options but I think we need to start attaching more value to the jersey. We have had our pants pulled down publicly a few times now. If that means cutting loose a few players to make a point then so be it. 

Big Jack dumping O'Leary would have seemed counter productive but he understood the concept of team building very well. Being committed to the cause should be the absolute minimum requirement. 

yes and had our pants pulled down by some players who are just about getting League 2 contracts now...
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 11:12am
True, but we're desperate for strikers. I recall Scott Hogan " concentrating on his club career" for quite a long time before declaring for Ireland ( and since achieving nothing in eight senior appearances ). At the time he was rattling in the goals for Brentford and thought he had a chance of a big club transfer and an England career. And, of course, he is English. Young Odubeko maybe sees himself as following the Rice road to riches, egged on by a venal agent and a toxic club ownership. We shall see. He has as much chance of emulating Liam Kelly at this point as he has Rice, maybe more so.

Edited by Green Cockade - 25 Aug 2021 at 11:14am
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 11:19am
There are almost certainly English-born players lower down the ladder who want to hold out for England caps but are being pushed towards Ireland by their agents for monetary and profile reasons; pragmatic reasons.

Mipo probably chose his agent with a view to helping him play for England long-term.

What thinking process do people think these high profile youngsters go through they are selecting representation?

This lad was utterly ruthless when he left a huge team to go to West Ham. He's not some shrinking violet who's been led astray.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 11:40am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Yeah I'd agree with this, nationality and identity is extremely complex so as you say, I'd be pretty forgiving and if he was torn between Nigeria and Ireland then I'd understand, but if he's angling for England (which he seems to be), f**k him. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 32>
  Share Topic