You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mipo Odubeko

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 32>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 1:08am
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Isn't it amazing how you never hear about players who get called up to England, Germany, Spain, Italy turning it down to "concentrate on their club". 

We must be fierce unfortunate.
Eric Dier refused u21s calls for England to focus on Spurs. Has 45 senior caps now. 

Adnan Januzaj refused to play youth internationals to focus on United. Scored at a World Cup for Belgium now. 

Youth players literally turn down call ups all the time to focus on establishing themselves at club level first. He’s in the last year of his contact and trying to get a new deal and breakthrough into the first team. International breaks are the best opportunities to work closely with first team managers and make an impression while the seniors are away. 

The FAI looked over him for years and have communicated poorly with him. Now he’s meant to bow to their command or he’s a mercenary **** who should be banished according to people on here. People get fecking outraged over everything. 

People on here are so desperate to criticize a child that they’ve made up that he has attitude issues from when he was bloody 10 years old. It’s a fecking joke. 

David Bentley refused a call up to the England u21s as well
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Sponsored Links

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 8:21am
It's unfortunate when facts get in the way of an argument 
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 8:22am
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Isn't it amazing how you never hear about players who get called up to England, Germany, Spain, Italy turning it down to "concentrate on their club". 

We must be fierce unfortunate.
Eric Dier refused u21s calls for England to focus on Spurs. Has 45 senior caps now. 

Adnan Januzaj refused to play youth internationals to focus on United. Scored at a World Cup for Belgium now. 

Youth players literally turn down call ups all the time to focus on establishing themselves at club level first. He’s in the last year of his contact and trying to get a new deal and breakthrough into the first team. International breaks are the best opportunities to work closely with first team managers and make an impression while the seniors are away. 

The FAI looked over him for years and have communicated poorly with him. Now he’s meant to bow to their command or he’s a mercenary **** who should be banished according to people on here. People get fecking outraged over everything. 

People on here are so desperate to criticize a child that they’ve made up that he has attitude issues from when he was bloody 10 years old. It’s a fecking joke. 

This said what I wanted to say, better than I said it. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 10:31am
I was actually a lot more encouraged by the comments from the agent. It sounds like its not really a closed book or a weighing up options rather not wanting to break his rhythm at West Ham. You can question that, but you can also see a point 'what if he were to get injured on Ireland duty?'

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 10:50am
Jim Crawford to have a chat with him in person and just see what is actually going on
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

After Rice and Grealish, there should be a real solid international decision made by Ireland never to tolerate b/s of this ilk ever again.

I agree with that wholeheartedly but unfortunately we are in the 'beggers can't be choosers' position when it comes to dual nationality players.

The good news is that our youth setup is working and we seem to be developing players again.

The bad news is that while the irish youth setup is working, England seem to be the only beneficiaries of it so far.
How does this prove our underage setup is working?
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 11:33am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I was actually a lot more encouraged by the comments from the agent. It sounds like its not really a closed book or a weighing up options rather not wanting to break his rhythm at West Ham. You can question that, but you can also see a point 'what if he were to get injured on Ireland duty?'

The agent himself is Nigerian and has basically said your a lot more likely to see him in an Irish shirt then a Nigerian one. 

My reaction is I wasn’t too bothered with him turning down those calls and I’m not too bothered at the comments. Yes they are encouraging and I would like to see him play for us he’s a talented kid. If not he’s free to choose Nigeria too and I wish him all the best 

England I wouldn’t worry for the simple reason look at the volume of talent England have attacking talent even and most of them are young. He will have to shoot the lights out completely to make those squads. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

After Rice and Grealish, there should be a real solid international decision made by Ireland never to tolerate b/s of this ilk ever again.

I agree with that wholeheartedly but unfortunately we are in the 'beggers can't be choosers' position when it comes to dual nationality players.

The good news is that our youth setup is working and we seem to be developing players again.

The bad news is that while the irish youth setup is working, England seem to be the only beneficiaries of it so far.
How does this prove our underage setup is working?

Odubeko was born and played in Ireland as a kid. The other two granny rule a bit of a fluke. 

We have had 2 bad beats with Rice and Grealish but especially as a young enough poster here I shouldn’t have to remind people that football didn’t start 5 years ago. 

It’s existed long before that and overall Ireland have very much benefitted from the “granny rule” over the years about half of Charltons great team a case in point.

Rice is the only one really that got away for my eyes. Grealish was he ever playing for us reading between the lines.

Edited by kevin100 - 14 Jun 2021 at 11:36am
TraphadBalls View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TraphadBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 1:22pm
Hi, I used to post here as Trapcandoit.  
  The whole thing here is nothing but a storm in a tea cup. Talk to any Nigerian/second generation Nigerian over here about their history and you will see that there’s about as much chance of any of them dreaming about an English call up as James McClean singing God Save the Queen on Paddy’s Day-serious.  

I really can’t get my head around the fact that a lot of seemingly educated people on this forum don’t don’t realise/know this.

Odubeko is just a kid staring off in a high pressure career path, Nigeria are top heavy with established strikers already (according to a previous post here) so chances are he will most likely do us proud in the years to come.  For now he should be left alone by media and any probs should be left to between himself and the FAI staff to sort out. 
 A storm in a tea cup- nothing more (outside of the usual and obvious media circus b/s). And best of luck to Mipo.

Edited by TraphadBalls - 14 Jun 2021 at 11:03pm
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

This is the quote.

Odubeko's agent:

“It’s just a case of timing and Mipo getting his feet under the table at West Ham,” Adarabioyo told The Sunday Times on Friday. “That was a very big ask while the season was going on and it was a very high pressure situation for him. He’s young and he is starting his career and that’s the main focus. He is coming into the last year of his contract at West Ham.

“That message was relayed to the [Ireland] coaches and it was like ‘OK, we will speak about it more at a later date’. That conversation hasn’t happened. The reason why he is not playing any international football is because of a lack of communication. Other than that, he has played for Ireland before and he will play for Ireland again.”

“There have not been any talks with Nigeria,” Adarabioyo said. “I am sure you are going to see him in the green of Ireland sooner than the green of Nigeria, but let’s see. There are major tournaments coming up in the next few years. I think it’s going to be a couple of years before any real solid international decisions are made.”

If this is genuine then fantastic. I'm all for a lad establishing his career which isn't extremely hard to achieve. I would keep in touch if I was the fai and if he's good enough in future welcome him to the squad.

If he chooses Nigeria I'd respect that but all respect goes out the window if he ever goes for England. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 7:35pm
Worst of all would be using Ireland as a stepping stone like Rice did. I get it that football careers are short and filling their boots is a priority for many but mealy-mouthed agents like this one and slimeballs like the infamous West Ham duo of Gold and Sullivan are worse self-serving mercenaries than any of the players they manipulate.

Edited by Green Cockade - 14 Jun 2021 at 7:38pm
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 8:34pm
One thing that strikes me about the lad is that it will probably come to a head / be sorted out soon rather than later. Kenny already has a load of youngsters in his team, will try and cap him at some point and is unlikely to be okay with being fobbed off for a long period. 

But having said that, people are probably worrying unnecessarily. Unlike Rice and Grealish, he's actually from Ireland and has lived in the country.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

One thing that strikes me about the lad is that it will probably come to a head / be sorted out soon rather than later. Kenny already has a load of youngsters in his team, will try and cap him at some point and is unlikely to be okay with being fobbed off for a long period. 

But having said that, people are probably worrying unnecessarily. Unlike Rice and Grealish, he's actually from Ireland and has lived in the country.

I suspect this summer will be important for Odubeko looking at him in isolation regardless what he does countrywise. Pre season will get an opportunity to impress with a view to playing some cup and Europa games next year. Don’t see West Ham spending oceans on players so there’s a place for him in the squad. 

I’d love to have him on board of course. Prior to those comments I’d have said zero chance after them there’s a very good chance. Regardless of what he does I wouldn’t get worked up over it a bonus if he declares. 

As for England unless he’s shooting the lights out completely he won’t be getting a look in with their senior squad for a good while with the quantity of talent that is only going to grow in quantity in the next year or two. 

Edited by kevin100 - 14 Jun 2021 at 8:59pm
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

The agent himself is Nigerian and has basically said your a lot more likely to see him in an Irish shirt then a Nigerian one. 

My reaction is I wasn’t too bothered with him turning down those calls and I’m not too bothered at the comments. Yes they are encouraging and I would like to see him play for us he’s a talented kid. If not he’s free to choose Nigeria too and I wish him all the best 
His agent will not make a statement like that unless he was confident Ireland is the favoured option. 

FAI need to get their act together and fix the previous mistake by going on a charm offensive to bring the lad back on side. If we have to call him up in September and cap him so be it. I'd have him over Collins and Long already
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

His agent will not make a statement like that unless he was confident Ireland is the favoured option. 

FAI need to get their act together and fix the previous mistake by going on a charm offensive to bring the lad back on side. If we have to call him up in September and cap him so be it. I'd have him over Collins and Long already

Like sending him chocolates on Valentine's or maybe they should ask him what he would like from Santa?
I love beer gardens
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Like sending him chocolates on Valentine's or maybe they should ask him what he would like from Santa?
Or just call him up and get him involved in the squad. Not like a crocked Shane Long is such a better option.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 9:35pm

I suspect this summer will be important for Odubeko looking at him in isolation regardless what he does countrywise. Pre season will get an opportunity to impress with a view to playing some cup and Europa games next year. Don’t see West Ham spending oceans on players so there’s a place for him in the squad. 

I’d love to have him on board of course. Prior to those comments I’d have said zero chance after them there’s a very good chance. Regardless of what he does I wouldn’t get worked up over it a bonus if he declares. 

As for England unless he’s shooting the lights out completely he won’t be getting a look in with their senior squad for a good while with the quantity of talent that is only going to grow in quantity in the next year or two. 

Realistically, his best chance by far would be with Ireland. His chances of getting into the Nigerian or England senior teams would be zero at the moment and he'd probably have a very long wait if he was even thinking in that direction.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 10:40pm

Realistically, his best chance by far would be with Ireland. His chances of getting into the Nigerian or England senior teams would be zero at the moment and he'd probably have a very long wait if he was even thinking in that direction.

This of course is true too Iheanacho Onuachu at Genk and that good young striker at Napoli his name has completely escaped me. 

Again it will be interesting to see how pre season goes for him and what happens to him next season in terms of gametime.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 32>
  Share Topic