You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Single storey extension - How much?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 2:24pm
Thanks for all the comments.

Mrs was budgeting 50k and I thought she was off her rocker - looks like it’s similar to what’s suggested on here. 

I think that’s mental money - serious profit must be made on that surely!

Anyway, once the mrs wants something, it’s obvious what way this is going to end for me Cry

Edited by Wheelo - 25 Apr 2021 at 2:24pm
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 7:19pm
Easily 50k. Prob closer to 60k as that’s just the way the market is right now.

I looked into releasing equity but was put off due to some quotes for works. 

I’ll hold off til the country cops on to f**k
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 7:52pm
Price of focking everything is gone up
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I’ll hold off til the country cops on to f**k

That's what I have in my mind- and I'm a very principled fella when it comes to life and football. But my weakness - like most lads - is when the mrs says its happening, its happening 😭😭 (but I've still persuaded her over last 15 years that paying for tv ain't happening - but unfortunately I'll have to give way on this one and let bob the builder have a sh*t on his gold plated Jack's at my expense 😟)
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:22pm
Working in construction,  an average attic conversion will set you back 25k , for what your looking to build id be looking to at least budget 50K

What ever you do dont go direct labor get a contractor in to do it all 

Edited by Charlton's Child - 25 Apr 2021 at 8:23pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:42pm
Echoing the comments from others, I've done 2 extensions recently, attic conversion and then a single storey extension similar in size to what you're looking at. Both were about 50k by the time you get "turn key". Carpets, Wardrobes, Paint, Blinds could be 5k for ya, Architect/Engineer could be another 5k, and be surprised if the build is getting you quotes under 30.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

If you get that for €30k ill buy a hat and eat it. Id say double or almost double. I built a single storey extension, just a playroom back in 2008 and its roughly around 3.2 x 2.5 and it was almost €25k. Think you’re in for a shock.

100%......no way that work is anything less than €50/55k
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

In regards to top up, my bank have been pretty easy to deal with. I'm currently in the process myself and almost felt like they were asking me 'how much do do you want'.

i got the same with regards to the amount, but the actually process was a pin in the hole. Ridiculous amount of paperwork, surveys etc to get the cash released, and even at that they’ll only release the second half of the funds when it’s “complete”, so we have to wait for them to do that before we can buy floors, paints, cabinets, patio etc

Yeah I know. This is my second top up now. Last one was a bit more, big extension and also adding my now wife to mortgage so was basically like doing it all again like the first mortgage, was pain in hole with how they release the money. Thankfully the builder was a family member so could work together to get what needed to be done.
New top up is just for attic conversion and bathrooms so not as much. Hoping it’s not as complicated. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 26 Apr 2021 at 12:31am
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 12:35am
what’s the most a bank/credit union will give you for a home improvement loan....70/75000 over 10yrs???
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:26am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

what’s the most a bank/credit union will give you for a home improvement loan....70/75000 over 10yrs???

Lads are on about equity releases and not loans. Basically the term can be anything up to what is left on the mortgage so it reduces the monthly repayments a lot.

In terms of straight forward loans then each bank will be different on how much they'll offer unsecured but generally it would be about €65k and up to 7 years.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:29am

In regards to top up, my bank have been pretty easy to deal with. I'm currently in the process myself and almost felt like they were asking me 'how much do do you want'.

i got the same with regards to the amount, but the actually process was a pin in the hole. Ridiculous amount of paperwork, surveys etc to get the cash released, and even at that they’ll only release the second half of the funds when it’s “complete”, so we have to wait for them to do that before we can buy floors, paints, cabinets, patio etc

Staged drawdowns/payments are the norm for a lot of builds. Obviously an extension is different to a new build in terms of amounts but it is very common. If a builder was involved they would get all materials on credit and have enough cash to cover wages etc until the equity release money comes through, just a pain when doing it yourself. 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Staged drawdowns/payments are the norm for a lot of builds. Obviously an extension is different to a new build in terms of amounts but it is very common. If a builder was involved they would get all materials on credit and have enough cash to cover wages etc until the equity release money comes through, just a pain when doing it yourself. 
Yeah the builder is grand, it's all the other bits that are annoying. I'm ready to get carpets, showers, painters in for the first part of my extension now, but can't do that until the second part of it is complete
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 2:07pm
In relation to attic conversions. 

When you convert the attic in a two storey house you are changing it to a three storey house, obvious enough. However there is a big difference in what is required for 'fire safety' in the Irish building regaulations. 

A three storey house needs fire doors, fire rated walls to the stairs, fire rated ceilings firestopping, upgraded alarm system, escape windows. I have seen some videos on FB of attic conversions and I'd be surprised if they are fire safety compliant. 

People need to be careful, apart from the obvious one of people getting hurt in a fire, the owner and builder are responsible for the construction works, whether they know that or not. Best advice is to get an Architect, Building Surveyor or somebody to review the attic conversion. It might cost more to employ them but there is piece of mind in getting works signed off by such people. 

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 28 Apr 2021 at 2:10pm
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

In relation to attic conversions. 

When you convert the attic in a two storey house you are changing it to a three storey house, obvious enough. However there is a big difference in what is required for 'fire safety' in the Irish building regaulations. 

A three storey house needs fire doors, fire rated walls to the stairs, fire rated ceilings firestopping, upgraded alarm system, escape windows. I have seen some videos on FB of attic conversions and I'd be surprised if they are fire safety compliant. 

People need to be careful, apart from the obvious one of people getting hurt in a fire, the owner and builder are responsible for the construction works, whether they know that or not. Best advice is to get an Architect, Building Surveyor or somebody to review the attic conversion. It might cost more to employ them but there is piece of mind in getting works signed off by such people. 

GTS makes a very good point.

I've not read the entire thread but I haven't seen any mention of Project Supervisor Design Process (PSDP) and Project Supervisor Construction Stage (PSCS) which are required by Law under The Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) regulations. it is your responsibility as client to appoint these people. 

The PSDP can be your architect and the PSCS can be your main contractor however failure to put in place either of the above in the correct manner could land you in serious legal jeopardy and all sorts of monetary pain.

Edited by colemanY2K - 28 Apr 2021 at 2:50pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic