You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Single storey extension - How much?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:04am
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Panteira you sound like Fr Purcell in Heffs profile photo there 😀
 LOL you can consider it payback then 

LOL  Yeah bit of a cross between Fr Noel Furlong and Father Fitzgerald here 😀
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:45am

I would have said that description would fit The Scientist perfectly. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 10:26am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I would have said that description would fit The Scientist perfectly. 

Nah thats I have no willy Eoin Mc Love 
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 10:30am
LOL
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 11:57pm
when you apply for planning permission for an extension how long does it last for??
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 2:04am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Anyone changed to the air to heat system? 
The heating in my gaff has never worked properly (as babbs will testify to) so much so that the entire ground level rads never heat up. Not too much of an issue as most of the living is done on the second and third storey but Im toying now between selling up or doing up the place.
i'm a QS so i'll throw in my tuppence.

a fabric first approach is recommended before anyone considers installing a heat pump in their home. consider maximising insulation, see if you can improve air tightness and then look at the possibility of upgrading your windows and doors if needed. this is the best way to improve comfort in a home.

assuming you have the space, a quick win would be to pack the attic with as much insulation as you can (4 to 500mm of loft insulation would be ideal - considerably cheaper when bought from our brethen in the north), if you have them look at filling cavity walls with bead insulation which is not overally expensive. basically try and improve the thermal efficiency (heat leakage) of the home as much as you can before splashing out on a heat pump. windows and doors are the expensive part but worth looking into if your current windows are over 10 years old. my building is 15 years old with the seals in the double glazing having already failed - you can really feel the draft coming through the french doors. 

carrying out the above upgrades could potentially mean a smaller heat pump is required - saving you money on that front (given your home is a 3 storey you'll possibly be looking at a 12kw or larger heat pump - these babys are not cheap).

put it another way, a large % of the above outlay would be offset by the saving made in needing a smaller heat pump. another plus is you'll have a much more comfortable home to live in compared to a home where you didn't carry out the upgrades and opted for a larger heat pump. another benefit is you'll have a cheaper electricity bill as homes which are better insulated naturally lose heat at a slower rate which results in less work for the heat pump to do.

word of warning with heat pumps btw. because the water runs at a lower temperature larger rads may be required (extra surface area is needed to heat the room to the same level). something to bear in mind.

another warning. sizing the heat pump is crucial. too large and the heat pump will switch on and off all the time which will reduce its lifecycle significantly. too small and the bloody thing will be on non-stop driving the electricity bill through the roof. be sure whoever sizes and installs it has a track record in doing so.

Edited by colemanY2K - 24 Apr 2021 at 2:26am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 2:06am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

when you apply for planning permission for an extension how long does it last for??
normally 5 years i.e. the works need to be finished within 5 years.

Edited by colemanY2K - 24 Apr 2021 at 2:09am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 9:19pm
Mrs on to me about getting a top up mortgage to build an extension. If any experts on here or if anyone has any advice before I get the pros in to have a look, I'd appreciate it!

Have a detached house with a "play room" on the side. Mrs wants to build another story above the playroom and create 2 bedrooms. 2 doors will have to be "knocked in" from the landing if you get me.

Any advice?

Any ballpark figures? (Would be looking for turn key finish!). Is it a case how long is a piece of string and hope for the best!

Edited by Wheelo - 24 Apr 2021 at 9:21pm
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 10:14pm
You need planning permission for that don't ya? 
What size is play room? Like a garage?

Edited by t_rAndy - 24 Apr 2021 at 10:15pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Mrs on to me about getting a top up mortgage to build an extension. If any experts on here or if anyone has any advice before I get the pros in to have a look, I'd appreciate it!

Have a detached house with a "play room" on the side. Mrs wants to build another story above the playroom and create 2 bedrooms. 2 doors will have to be "knocked in" from the landing if you get me.

Any advice?

Any ballpark figures? (Would be looking for turn key finish!). Is it a case how long is a piece of string and hope for the best!
Id suggest if you want a ball park then post up sizes etc but I doubt anyone will be in a position to even give anywhere near an accurate ballpark. Best bet would be to just get a few different builders to look at it. Planning permission will be required so thats Architects fees too amongst others.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 10:20pm
In regards to top up, my bank have been pretty easy to deal with. I'm currently in the process myself and almost felt like they were asking me 'how much do do you want'.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 9:13am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

In regards to top up, my bank have been pretty easy to deal with. I'm currently in the process myself and almost felt like they were asking me 'how much do do you want'.

i got the same with regards to the amount, but the actually process was a pin in the hole. Ridiculous amount of paperwork, surveys etc to get the cash released, and even at that they’ll only release the second half of the funds when it’s “complete”, so we have to wait for them to do that before we can buy floors, paints, cabinets, patio etc
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 9:57am
Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah planning permission shouldn’t be a problem hopefully as loads of houses were originally built with the 2 storeys. 

Mrs is talking mental money but I was hoping about 25/30k. Will obviously get it properly priced so was just wondering what ballparks people think it could be if they got something similar done.

Will be getting at least 3 reputable builders in to price anyway!

Here’s a picture of one of houses in my estate as mine:

We’d be building above the playroom/utility.

Measurements in similar house as per above are but it would go above part of kitchen too:

Family Room/Bed. 4 4.84 x 2.39. Utility 1.55 x 2.48. WC 1.55 x 0.95.

Edited by Wheelo - 25 Apr 2021 at 9:59am
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 10:48am

Yeah planning permission shouldn’t be a problem hopefully as loads of houses were originally built with the 2 storeys. 

Mrs is talking mental money but I was hoping about 25/30k. Will obviously get it properly priced so was just wondering what ballparks people think it could be if they got something similar done.

Measurements in similar house as per above are but it would go above part of kitchen too:

I wish you the best of luck!!! 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 11:16am
If you get that for €30k ill buy a hat and eat it. Id say double or almost double. I built a single storey extension, just a playroom back in 2008 and its roughly around 3.2 x 2.5 and it was almost €25k. Think you’re in for a shock.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

If you get that for €30k ill buy a hat and eat it. Id say double or almost double. I built a single storey extension, just a playroom back in 2008 and its roughly around 3.2 x 2.5 and it was almost €25k. Think you’re in for a shock.

Double would’ve been my guess based on work I’ve had done & friends have had done. 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 12:04pm

Building work is a pain so if there is anything else you are thinking of getting done, loft conversion, rear extension etc. Do it all at once if you can.

At the end of the day, the value of your house will increase the same amount so technically it doesn’t cost you anything (assume the housing market doesn’t crash again).

A good architect will be able to show you what’s possible and the relevant costs. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 1:55pm
Prices for construction work in the home has gone through the roof, with the lock down, people not being able to travel are spending the money on their home improvements etc....

My sister in law was about to get an extension done and the prices they were quoted were nearly as high as the price of the house!. 
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic