You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Single storey extension - How much?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 8:16pm
Yeah, I would have thought the same. I'm hoping to convert the attic, put a winding stairs in and extend the roof at gable end for some more space. Hoped I'd get it all for 20-25k but looking at some of these posts, I'll be way off.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 4:03pm

Is underfloor heating worth it? 
El Puto Amo
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 4:16pm
Did up my own place. Didn’t bother with it. Packed out place with insulation. Not something I look back and said I should have put it in. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I have it in my house all downstairs. It can be slow to heat up the place so you really need to give it a blast in advance but once it does, it's the business. Hot tiles in the bathroom and heated wooden floors underfoot Heart plus, obviously no poxy rads. 

Place is like a sauna the next morning too (with the heating off). 

Edited by McG - 15 Mar 2021 at 4:25pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 4:48pm
Anyone changed to the air to heat system? 
The heating in my gaff has never worked properly (as babbs will testify to) so much so that the entire ground level rads never heat up. Not too much of an issue as most of the living is done on the second and third storey but Im toying now between selling up or doing up the place.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 5:00pm
The servants on ground floor yeah
It would damage this forums' reputation
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

The servants on ground floor yeah
of course. 
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

The heating in my gaff has never worked properly (as babbs will testify to) so much so that the entire ground level rads never heat up. Not too much of an issue as most of the living is done on the second and third storey but Im toying now between selling up or doing up the place.
I have it since we built the house it’s excellent mine is air to water so I have no boost option.
I don’t find I need to put it on up stairs as I find the heat rises from down stairs.
It also ensures you have hot water all the time.
My only down side is you become used to the constant temperature and even though it’s lovely and warm you can find it a bit chilly at times and if you want to increase the temperature it takes about 24 hours in this situation I just put on the fire rather than turn it up.

It’s when I go to someone else’s house I really appreciate how good it is as you can find the house quite cold when the heating isn’t on especially when you wake in the morning 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

I have it since we built the house it’s excellent mine is air to water so I have no boost option.
I don’t find I need to put it on up stairs as I find the heat rises from down stairs.
My only down side is you become used to the constant temperature and even though it’s lovely and warm you can find it a bit chilly at times and if you want to increase the temperature it takes about 24 hours in this situation I just put on the fire rather than turn it up.

It’s when I go to someone else’s house I really appreciate how good it is as you can find the house quite cold when the heating isn’t on especially when you wake in the morning 
so if it gets a bit chilly you have to wait until this time tomorrow to heat up? Or does it keep the temp constant regardless pf the temp outside? 

Oh and as an edit, any f**ker on here in this line willing to give a completely non committal qoute, let me know.

Edited by Sham157 - 15 Mar 2021 at 6:59pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I have it in my house all downstairs. It can be slow to heat up the place so you really need to give it a blast in advance but once it does, it's the business. Hot tiles in the bathroom and heated wooden floors underfoot Heart plus, obviously no poxy rads. 

Yer we have it also and much the same as you really . 
To be honest takes about 90 minutes to really heat up then that's it for the day and like you said come down in the morning after the heating has been off for 12 hours and it's still warm . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 6:59pm

Thanks for the feedback lads
El Puto Amo
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 7:16pm

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

so if it gets a bit chilly you have to wait until this time tomorrow to heat up? Or does it keep the temp constant regardless pf the temp outside? 

Oh and as an edit, any f**ker on here in this line willing to give a completely non committal qoute, let me know.

Just to be clear I find it excellent when it feels chilly in reality it’s not chilly it’s just I’m used to it the temperature is at around 19 or 20 degrees inside.
It’s keeps it constant it only kicks in if it knows the temperature is below the required temperature that is set on the thermostat.
There is an external thermostat that speaks to the system.

But if you do feel it’s chilly it takes about 24 hours to notice the difference in my house ( 3500 sq foot for a reference)and mine is air to water not oil.
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 7:56pm
Have oil myself. But still prefer lighting the stove. 
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 8:27pm
I had underfloor heating running off geothermal in my house back home. It was an excellent system and I only used to adjust the temperature twice a year max. I also got an air to water system including underfloor installed in another house I built. Great system also

What I would be wary about is installing underfloor heating in a house that's not adequately insulated as its being mentioned that you wont feel instant heat off underfloor heating. This isn't a flaw in underfloor heating as if your home is insulated & ventilated appropriately it wins everyday for me

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 9:48pm
Panteira you sound like Fr Purcell in Heffs profile photo there 😀
AKA pedantic kunt
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

LOLLOLLOL

Edited by ConorMac77 - 15 Mar 2021 at 10:40pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 7:22am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Same - have it all downstairs in the basement.
It’s the absolute business in the mornings getting out of bed and in the bathroom.

Just have it on low for 8 months of the year and it heats the whole house.

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 16 Mar 2021 at 7:37am

PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

LOL you can consider it payback then 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic