You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Single storey extension - How much?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single storey extension - How much?
    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:02pm
Hoping to get extension this year and currently costing it up. 
Anyone with experience have an idea of what is a good price?

Quick summary:
40 square meters
Pitched roof
Open plan
French sliding doors
Complete to high spec finish. 

Prices so far - 75k (Excluding Vat) which includes everything (Flooring, painting etc) except the kitchen
Another couple of prices were 80k without VAT (And not including floors, painting etc)

YBIG's resident expert The Scientist reckons these prices are very much on the steep side. 

Anyone build something similar recently?
Anyone have thoughts on these prices?

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Quick summary:
40 square meters
Pitched roof
Open plan
French sliding doors

Prices so far - 75k (Excluding Vat) which includes everything (Flooring, painting etc) except the kitchen
Another couple of prices were 80k without VAT (And not including floors, painting etc)

YBIG's resident expert The Scientist reckons these prices are very much on the steep side. 

I assume you are in Dublin given those prices. In Dundalk you would be ripped off but in Dublin that’s probably reasonable. 

I would definitely get 5/6 quotes and try to get personal recommendations. Ask to speak to previous clients etc 

Whatever you do, make sure you pay the final 10-20% after all the work is done. A lot of cowboys out there. 

Paying in cash can help with the VAT. 

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:26pm
Built 30square metre kitchen extension in 2016 and done to a very tight budget, I think if you’re going 40m, open plan & high standard you’re doing ok @75k 
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Quick summary:
40 square meters
Pitched roof
Open plan
French sliding doors

I assume you are in Dublin given those prices. In Dundalk you would be ripped off but in Dublin that’s probably reasonable. 

I would definitely get 5/6 quotes and try to get personal recommendations. Ask to speak to previous clients etc 

Whatever you do, make sure you pay the final 10-20% after all the work is done. A lot of cowboys out there. 

Paying in cash can help with the VAT. 

Based in Leixlip

Have seen his work and he is highly recommended 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:39pm
All you can do is get as many quotes as you can, go by any references you can get yourself from friends etc and value it in comparison to the rest of your house. 

Built a single storey play room when my young lad arrived years ago, much smaller than what you're looking to do, and it paid me to use a builder I knew from Monaghan to come down and do it to the tune of 5k.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:42pm
Yea will be getting at least three more quotes. The 75 one is cheapest so far and supposed to be a top operator
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:45pm
once you settle on the builder, then bring cash into it. If its 75k he may do a portion for cash. He wont do it all for cash though. If you got 60kex vat and 15k cash its a good start
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

once you settle on the builder, then bring cash into it. If its 75k he may do a portion for cash. He wont do it all for cash though. If you got 60kex vat and 15k cash its a good start

The builder will need VAT added to cover the materials he purchases - probably around 25-35% of the total.

Push for as much cash the builder will allow. Some like the cash and will do extra bits for free. 

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

The builder will need VAT added to cover the materials he purchases - probably around 25-35% of the total.

Push for as much cash the builder will allow. Some like the cash and will do extra bits for free. 

Exactly what I was getting atLOL
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Built 30square metre kitchen extension in 2016 and done to a very tight budget, I think if you’re going 40m, open plan & high standard you’re doing ok @75k 

I’m starting the ball rolling on getting a 50sq meter open plan extension going....and was hoping to come in at around 70/75k....so he might be a little high but if his work is top notch and he’s available it’ll be worth the money.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:36pm

Quick summary:
40 square meters
Pitched roof
Open plan
French sliding doors

We got basically same job as you are looking for 2 years ago, more or less (should be on my Facebook history somewhere). 
Got it off my brother in law so obviously he done us a good deal as possible. I did a bit of the clearing out labour myself to save a few quid. 
We also had the added complication that we had no side entrance so everything had to come through the house.

I believe in the end, it was around the 75000 mark after VAT after all the little add ons that came. Started off around the 70000 mark as target (remortgage added 63k so made up rest myself).  But I'd say its in the range you were quoted anyway considering building materials have gone up in price. 
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 11:47pm
remember a builder telling me they add between 3-5 grand extra on the price if they have to come through the house because no side access.

Did you stay in the house while they did the job t-rAndy???and how long did it take to finish??
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 12:25am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

remember a builder telling me they add between 3-5 grand extra on the price if they have to come through the house because no side access.

Did you stay in the house while they did the job t-rAndy???and how long did it take to finish??

We did. It was tough. The whole of downstairs was a building site.
Was 16 weeks. It probably could have been quicker but he wasn't always on site himself, if there was labour work to be done then he would leave the easier stuff to his labourer and go off doing other jobs here and there.  

We had an advantage that our parents live close so we could make our dinner in either of their places. Brother in law built us temporary unit to put the microwave and kettle on. Fridge at the bottom of stairs in the hall then. 
Plenty of takeaways too though!
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:00am
Gerk - are you adding a nightclub to the bar 😂
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:02am
Depending on your house and circumstances it’s worth doing everything possible at once and moving out. Building work is an absolute pain. 

If you are looking to do a large rear/side extension you should look to do a loft extension too if you can.

My sister got a loft extension done recently for about 40k. 
Then you have maximised all the planning permission in one go and you never have to do it again. 

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 8:40am
Jesus Dermot Bannon would get it done for less than 75k 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 8:54am
Doing a bit of work ourselves at the moment. Attic conversion and also a small extension to the kitchen (about 20sqm).

Both are working out about €35k each so €35k for our half sized extension. 

Getting quotes has been an awful pain. Loads of lads not returning calls or emails, had 3 of them over to the house and walked them through the idea and they still were taking ages for quotes.

Anecdotally I was told to expect to pay €1k=€1.5k per 1sqm, but the quotes we got were above that.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 9:15am
I got an extension about 5 years ago - the initial figure was 36k but that grew as we got a lot other stuff done. The total was 50+

The builder did an incredible job, he did a massive job on my mates house and it was very impressive. My mate went out and viewed the builders last 5 jobs, so he did his home work and was happy with it.

As was said above - draw out your plans on paper in detail - get 5/6 builders to come out and discuss the job, they'll give advise on your plans - so you may adjust this accordingly. 

Edited by horsebox - 19 Jan 2021 at 9:18am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic