You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Summer Friendlies/Training Camp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 44>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 11:14pm
Overall a positive camp in the end. The problem now is that two of our next three games are against Serbia and Portugal and despite some green shoots we will still be doing very well to get a result in either of those games. Does the mood change again if we lose those games?
Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 11:15pm
Well said Tom.

ClapClap
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 11:43pm
If I have counted right, I believe we played 10 lads 24 years of age, or younger, tonight and the faith shown in Duffy and McClean has shown they are still capable of performing at international level, with McClean a genuine contender for that left wing back spot.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Overall a positive camp in the end. The problem now is that two of our next three games are against Serbia and Portugal and despite some green shoots we will still be doing very well to get a result in either of those games. Does the mood change again if we lose those games?

I think it will depend on performances as much as anything, maybe even more than results. Honestly, up until tonight, the performances have been abysmal under Kenny. Tonight in the second half there were finally some green shoots. If tonight is a new starting point, lessons are learnt from the mistakes of the past year and we see further evidence of development in terms of performances on the field he'll be given a fair chance.

If we go back to trying to play a style that doesn't suit the players we have it will fall apart again fairly quickly. It's up to him now.

Edited by You Tell Me - 08 Jun 2021 at 11:48pm
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:00am
An enjoyable and worthwhile game this evening for both sides for different reasons.

Delighted for Kenny, Duffy, Bazunu and Kelleher in particular.

Arter's comments earlier in the week on how professional the set up now is under Kenny was heartening. Lisa Fallon made a good point about Kenny needing enough wins to keep him in the job while balancing the renewal and longer term project. If he were to leave tomorrow, he has made excellent progress and would be up to his successor to not mess it up. However, I think that we have a top class management team (possibly more through accident than design) with Kenny, Barry and Kiely in particular. 
Can't think of a replacement set up that would have near the combination of passion for the task, professionalism and long term interests of the team.

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:05am
the main thing is this better not be a flash on the pan.
We were better tonight but it’s a friendly and they can give false hope but if this can be built upon and add in the guys who are missing no reason we can’t be competitive.

A few areas of worry still there has to be a time when you say it hell with passing we will just go direct the first 15 minutes were scary and that passage towards the end when we nearly got caught crazy.

We hit the bar but there keeper had no real save to make and ours made 4 top saves.

Our set piece delivery was poor bar the first one and this should not be the case with all the big men we have this should be worked on.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 1:27am
Originally posted by EdisonCavani EdisonCavani wrote:

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Think it's the right time for Darren Randolph to retire from International football. 
Why would he retire from Ireland? He’ll be starting in Lisbon in September in my view if he is fit.
No, he won't - the game is Faro. Big smile
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 6:18am
Really hope kayode makes it, if only to have a nickname like Wily in the squad.
No Pasaran!
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 7:17am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Good to see balanced reaction on here.

This was never gong to be a quick fix. Very encouraged by the sheer number of former underage players under Kenny who have put their hands up for selection and now hold the shirts. Buzunu, o'shea, parrot, idah, Knight.

Also good to see older players come back into consideration, horgan, Duffy and mcclean can be happy with their work this week.

The armchair dickheads, the type who find paddy Power bants amusing, will always be there. The core support base needs to support what Kenny is trying to do, whether it is him in the long term or not, it's important that these players are blooded now and grow together. Whatever happens, no one can fault him for not trying to do right by Irish football. 
Clap
Clap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 7:19am
Ogbene looked lovely when he came. Should have pulled the trigger when he broke through on the right   Probably should have brought him on 10 minutes earlier,Idah looked to be tiring 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 8:57am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Ogbene looked lovely when he came. Should have pulled the trigger when he broke through on the right   Probably should have brought him on 10 minutes earlier,Idah looked to be tiring 

The green suits him alright.
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:01am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I think it will depend on performances as much as anything, maybe even more than results. Honestly, up until tonight, the performances have been abysmal under Kenny. Tonight in the second half there were finally some green shoots. If tonight is a new starting point, lessons are learnt from the mistakes of the past year and we see further evidence of development in terms of performances on the field he'll be given a fair chance.

If we go back to trying to play a style that doesn't suit the players we have it will fall apart again fairly quickly. It's up to him now.

That's patently untrue.
We've had some excellent spells of play in quite a few games.
We should have beaten Slovakia and put it up to Serbia for a time.

v Wales, with a decimated squad, we were the better team for long periods.
Several other NL games we did OK in and but for small margins would have gotten more positive results.
Sure we've not been world-beaters but nobody with any  senses would expect us to be.

In some games we were poor, Luxembourg and Andorra (until we woke up) being the main two but to suggest we were abysmal in all bar tonight is disingenuous and thankfully most people around here will see through it.

Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:29am

This was never gong to be a quick fix. Very encouraged by the sheer number of former underage players under Kenny who have put their hands up for selection and now hold the shirts. Buzunu, o'shea, parrot, idah, Knight.

Also good to see older players come back into consideration, horgan, Duffy and mcclean can be happy with their work this week.

The armchair dickheads, the type who find paddy Power bants amusing, will always be there. The core support base needs to support what Kenny is trying to do, whether it is him in the long term or not, it's important that these players are blooded now and grow together. Whatever happens, no one can fault him for not trying to do right by Irish football. 
Clap
Clap
Spot on there! And I still think the core of the support and in fairness a lot of the decent sports reporters in the media are still behind him too as it’s often their opinions the “armchair dickheads” regurgitate as their own. Roll on September where he will hopefully have a full squad to pick from and fans at the games.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:53am
A lot of positives to take from the camp.

1) First win under Kenny
2) Undefeated
3) Keeper situation- both  Bazunu and Kelleher done really well, I'd say Randolph is still no.1 but if he isn't playing regularly and one of the other two are can see Kenny playing selecting one of them over him. 
4) Some of the older guard have come back in and are doing well, Duffy, McClean.
5) The younger players seem to be adapting to the team, Parrott, Knight, Idah, O'Shea all had good games and minutes during the friendlies.

negatives I suppose was performance against Andorra was lacklustre at times until they scored really, but you have to give credit to Andorra too they made it difficult for us, but we followed that up with a good performance against Hungary.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:22pm
I think Duffy did very well bit we did play a deep.line which is where he excels. 

I really.want to but I can't understand why people.think mcclean did well over.the two games. Work rate is still there but his distribution of the ball is really poor. His crossing will inevitably hit the first man. Defensively is usually.good but he lost his man for the Andorra goal.

I think the team were organised Defensively and Hungary didn't look like they were going to have an easy day of it.

Personally I'm pleased with the performance from a defensive viewpoint from a point of going forward with the ball there is work to be done.

The midfield were consistently 5 feet from the defensive line but 50 feet for the forward line. 

Times when idah (who I thought really grew into the game) had the ball and he had zero options with a bunch of Hungarians baring down on him.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:35pm
It's probably because you don't like him and have never once cut him any slack. You have dismissed his performances at club and country since the day you signed up to the forum.

Your too busy thinking Ferry or Smallbone will be the next Rivilinho until you watch them play before writing them off and moving to the age group etc...

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It's probably because you don't like him and have never once cut him any slack. You have dismissed his performances at club and country since the day you signed up to the forum.

Your too busy thinking Ferry or Smallbone will be the next Rivilinho until you watch them play before writing them off and moving to the age group etc...

Couldn't have put it better myself. 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:41pm

Clap
Clap
Clap
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 44>
  Share Topic