You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Summer Friendlies/Training Camp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 41424344>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 2:11am
Didn’t know Sean Hughes is dead!

Loved to see Knight, Parrott, Horgan, Molumby, and Ogbene get the bit between their teeth and stake a claim. Very good showings full or enthusiasm. Of the old school, Duffy and McClean also led by example and showed a determination that was very encouraging.

Hourihane does not look the part, I’m afraid. Too passive alongside Cullen. 

Idah really started to show something in the second half. Self belief coming through. Key season for him.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

Bukowski View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 5:16am
I would have liked to see how Jack Byrne would have fitted in had he been fit to play.
Would anyone vote for a midfield of Cullen and Knight with Byrne ahead of them?
I've seen very little of Byrne playing so looking for more realistic opinions.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Idah really started to show something in the second half. Self belief coming through. Key season for him.

Key season is right. Key season for a lot of our younger players. We really need them playing every week for their clubs, even it means dropping a level.

This training camp seemed to be very beneficial for Kenny and the players. Maybe Kennys luck is finally starting to turn, he deserves a bit of luck after everything thrown at him since he took over.

Edited by Wheelo - 10 Jun 2021 at 12:40pm
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 1:35pm
https://twitter.com/KennysKids/status/1402708089057558528

Some good analysis here.

Knight and McClean being 2 key players. 
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 2:06pm
Could the perceived improvement in form in the team be partly explained by Anthony Barry's presence as assistant coach? Interesting to hear John Egan and other lavish praise on him.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Could the perceived improvement in form in the team be partly explained by Anthony Barry's presence as assistant coach? Interesting to hear John Egan and other lavish praise on him.

I had been wondering about this also. Have only ever heard glowing reports in relation to him so hopefully he's having an impact alright.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I had been wondering about this also. Have only ever heard glowing reports in relation to him so hopefully he's having an impact alright.

It would make sense. He has just been involved in coaching the winners of the Champion's League. That is seriously impressive stuff and any Irish player is going to have respect for him.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 2:21pm
Didn't realise he was only 35.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 2:41pm
Yeah, definitely. It’s noticeable that the team respects him by the way they talk about him. We’ve also improved our set piece delivery since he came, which is apparently his strong suit.

Great that Seamus Coleman and other potential coaches in our squad get to spend time around somebody at the top of their sport (not a slight on Kenny at all. Credit to Kenny for bringing him in)
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Yeah, definitely. It’s noticeable that the team respects him by the way they talk about him. We’ve also improved our set piece delivery since he came, which is apparently his strong suit.

Great that Seamus Coleman and other potential coaches in our squad get to spend time around somebody at the top of their sport (not a slight on Kenny at all. Credit to Kenny for bringing him in)

Indeed, I'd say there must have been a few eyebrows raised when it was heard Kenny was bringing in a relatively unknown non Irish coach from Chelsea but that decision is looking inspired now.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 3:07pm
Didn't see Tuesday's game but it's a great relief to read it's more positives then negatives. The campaign is dead so it's about bringing through more players and building some momentum. If Kenny achieves that then he will have another campaign at the Euros. 

When Andorra scored to now is a different world LOL
It would damage this forums' reputation
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 3:15pm
Its very different, but its nice to take certain positives and see green shoots. It may not be a modern day version of the Triangular Tournament, but it was a sold performance, with a number of young players involved, and some good performances from old heads.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 3:48pm
I know the qualification campaign is over but it would be fantastic if Kenny managed a landmark result in such as a draw  in either of the games against Portugal or a win at home to Serbia. 

It would be a decent finish to the group if we managed to win away to Luxembourg and finish on 10 points to cement 3rd spot. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 4:31pm
Just need to see as much progress made as possible, would be good to see a Portugal team come to Dublin a bit nervious and think "hmm, this looks like it could be a very difficult game".

From.now to 6 months ago we've seen 

1. Our goalkeeper situation look infinitely better, I'd be happy to go into a competitive game with bazunu or keheller if Randolph is injured

2. Centre back pairing of Egan and Oshea is looking good and should improve with every game. Duffy has shown he's not finished yet and Collins looks to be raising eyebrows. Long term Collins and oshea should be an exciting pair 

3. Knight looks to be a first 11 player now, I feel he'll create chances like he did for horgans goal and the cross for Collins to head wide. Also known for popping up with a goal.

4. Idah and parrott have really benefited from the last two games. Parrott showing why there's hype associated with his name. Still lots of work to do for both but progress definitely made in the last 6 months.

5. Overall defensively we've been good, our defensive shape is good and players look organised. Individual errors costing really bad goals to Andorra and Luxembourg.

6. Goals distribution - Parrott, knight, horgan, browne, mcclean, Duffy and collins all chipping in with goals under the Kenny era which is good to see but of course we still need that player that is a goal threat. Hopefully parrott and/or idah.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Just need to see as much progress made as possible, would be good to see a Portugal team come to Dublin a bit nervious and think "hmm, this looks like it could be a very difficult game".

From.now to 6 months ago we've seen 

1. Our goalkeeper situation look infinitely better, I'd be happy to go into a competitive game with bazunu or keheller if Randolph is injured

2. Centre back pairing of Egan and Oshea is looking good and should improve with every game. Duffy has shown he's not finished yet and Collins looks to be raising eyebrows. Long term Collins and oshea should be an exciting pair 

3. Knight looks to be a first 11 player now, I feel he'll create chances like he did for horgans goal and the cross for Collins to head wide. Also known for popping up with a goal.

4. Idah and parrott have really benefited from the last two games. Parrott showing why there's hype associated with his name. Still lots of work to do for both but progress definitely made in the last 6 months.

5. Overall defensively we've been good, our defensive shape is good and players look organised. Individual errors costing really bad goals to Andorra and Luxembourg.

6. Goals distribution - Parrott, knight, horgan, browne, mcclean, Duffy and collins all chipping in with goals under the Kenny era which is good to see but of course we still need that player that is a goal threat. Hopefully parrott and/or idah.

With a long term view let’s say 

1. Goalkeeper no problems two fantastic prospects Randolph there still and poor Travers who got a bout of stage fright against Serbia. No reason why Travers can go on to be at least as good as Randolph was. For me you have to give Kelleher/Bazunu the office we are out the World Cup. Even Randolph has acknowledged this it’s sooner rather then later they will take the ropes. 

2. Egan O’Shea Clark Duffy Collins Omobamidele McGuinness younger lads like Garcia McNulty even the likes of O’Hora will move up the ranks and be a fine centre back in time at club level. No worries here.

3. Right back Coleman and Doherty aging but will be more then good for another 3-5 years surely certainly good until the 2024 Euros. 

4. Knight a 100% right side or midfield is flying and looks a sure fire first teamer. Showed great creativity even for Curtis sitter and made a great run against Hungary where Idah should have played him in on top of what was mentioned above. 

The other 6 positions let’s see. Connolly Idah Parrott Obafemi you would hope would find regular football/loans next season develop further not to mention Scully Kayode Shodipo Odubeko if he declares Finn with Getafe. Ogbene showed spark the other night but a look at his record shows he doesn’t score. Even Scully and Shodipo scored 17 and 13 for Lincoln/Oxford last year. Goals are important. 

Midfielders likewise Molumby Johansson Connell Coventry Smallbone Kilkenny Hodge Watson Danny and Conor Grant let’s hope they will find regular football and develop.  

Left backs we are light Stevens Manning and McClean aside. Joel Bagan maybe declaring Flynn Richards possibly the most interesting long term prospect is Tayo Adaramola at Palace very very highly touted. The first 3 named have a few years left in them. 

Edited by kevin100 - 10 Jun 2021 at 5:55pm
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 5:04am
Just butting in a minute guys to say I was delighted you got a win vs Andorra. I also thought you were the better team and unfortunate not to get a win vs Hungary.

From this outsiders' perspective, your style of football looked good to watch. It will get better as the players get more and more used to it. You also have a number of exciting young prospects who should be damaging other teams for you in the few years. I wouldn't be too pessimistic about the future, there is plenty for Ireland to be optimistic about.

Wishing YBIG all the best for the future Cool

ET
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 8:52am
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Just butting in a minute guys to say I was delighted you got a win vs Andorra. I also thought you were the better team and unfortunate not to get a win vs Hungary.

From this outsiders' perspective, your style of football looked good to watch. It will get better as the players get more and more used to it. You also have a number of exciting young prospects who should be damaging other teams for you in the few years. I wouldn't be too pessimistic about the future, there is plenty for Ireland to be optimistic about.

ET

Cheers ET outside perspective much appreciated Clap

Best of luck in the Euros especially against those Sassanach ****s next Fri Thumbs Up 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 11 Jun 2021 at 2:14pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

ET

Cheers Ersatz! The last year has been a nightmare, with a string of horrible results and bad performances. But all of a sudden it seems we might just be turning a corner - many youngsters in the team, starting to look a bit more solid and indeed confident etc.

Best of luck to Scotland in the Euros!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 41424344>
  Share Topic