You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Summer Friendlies/Training Camp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It's probably because you don't like him and have never once cut him any slack. You have dismissed his performances at club and country since the day you signed up to the forum.

Your too busy thinking Ferry or Smallbone will be the next Rivilinho until you watch them play before writing them off and moving to the age group etc...

Hmm fair enough.. but I just questioned his distribution and crossing, also losing his man for the Andorra goal.

I dont think that's unfair criticism of a senior player. 

There were a lot of other things he did very well. 
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:51pm
I think it was one of McClean's best performances in awhile and he did put in a few decent crosses I thought. He was excellent defensively. 

That wing back role is made for him and he's one of the best Irish players I've ever seen for stamina. 

Stevens has never played that well for Ireland imo and I would definitely start McClean away to Portugal given the amount of sustained pressure we'll be under. Wing back is McClean's position to lose imo. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 1:08pm
I’d agree he’s doing ok there, better than stevens, more energy.
Opposing full backs hate seeing him, know they’re going to be black and blue after being clattered with his crosses all night though. If he could cross it with the enthusiasm he puts into running he’d be brilliant.
No Pasaran!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

It's probably because you don't like him and have never once cut him any slack. You have dismissed his performances at club and country since the day you signed up to the forum.

Your too busy thinking Ferry or Smallbone will be the next Rivilinho until you watch them play before writing them off and moving to the age group etc...

Hmm fair enough.. but I just questioned his distribution and crossing, also losing his man for the Andorra goal.

I dont think that's unfair criticism of a senior player. 

There were a lot of other things he did very well. 

But you never comment on it. You only criticize and your very quick off the mark highlighting his mistakes but turn a blind eye to other players mistakes.

(I didn't think it was McClean's man for the goal against Andorra.)

His crossing was poor in the Andorra 1st half, he had a decent second half, part of this issue was he was forced to cross as Hourihane failed to make himself available. He's also returning from a spell on the sidelines so wouldn't be as match fit as others.

I thought he played well last night, worked hard, provided defensive cover and defended well, he put in a number of good crosses into box too.

Both Cullen and Hourihane showed a lot more for the ball in last nights game too, which helped the 2 wing backs.

If you compare with Doherty, who at club level, is a far superior player, how many good crosses did put in? I don't recall.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

If Hourihane is in the midfield, coupled with Duffy in a back 3, then get your money on Hungary. 

Clap
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Good to see balanced reaction on here.

This was never gong to be a quick fix. Very encouraged by the sheer number of former underage players under Kenny who have put their hands up for selection and now hold the shirts. Buzunu, o'shea, parrot, idah, Knight.

Also good to see older players come back into consideration, horgan, Duffy and mcclean can be happy with their work this week.

The armchair dickheads, the type who find paddy Power bants amusing, will always be there. The core support base needs to support what Kenny is trying to do, whether it is him in the long term or not, it's important that these players are blooded now and grow together. Whatever happens, no one can fault him for not trying to do right by Irish football. 
Clap
Clap
Clap
Clap
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 1:22pm
Doherty was good last night dont ubderstand the stick he gets .
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Good to see balanced reaction on here.

This was never gong to be a quick fix. Very encouraged by the sheer number of former underage players under Kenny who have put their hands up for selection and now hold the shirts. Buzunu, o'shea, parrot, idah, Knight.

Also good to see older players come back into consideration, horgan, Duffy and mcclean can be happy with their work this week.

The armchair dickheads, the type who find paddy Power bants amusing, will always be there. The core support base needs to support what Kenny is trying to do, whether it is him in the long term or not, it's important that these players are blooded now and grow together. Whatever happens, no one can fault him for not trying to do right by Irish football. 
Clap
Clap
Clap
Clap
Clap
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 1:40pm
But you never comment on it. You only criticize and your very quick off the mark highlighting his mistakes but turn a blind eye to other players mistakes.

(I didn't think it was McClean's man for the goal against Andorra.)

His crossing was poor in the Andorra 1st half, he had a decent second half, part of this issue was he was forced to cross as Hourihane failed to make himself available. He's also returning from a spell on the sidelines so wouldn't be as match fit as others.

I thought he played well last night, worked hard, provided defensive cover and defended well, he put in a number of good crosses into box too.

Both Cullen and Hourihane showed a lot more for the ball in last nights game too, which helped the 2 wing backs.

If you compare with Doherty, who at club level, is a far superior player, how many good crosses did put in? I don't recall.

[/QUOTE]

Cmon horse, he lost his man for the Andorra goal. Defensively he's been very good but that was a miss on mccleans part.

I would agree he was more effective than Doherty on the other side. 

Mcclean has 80 odd caps for ireland so is one of the most experienced players on the pitch by a long way. But he can be a very frustrating player with the ball.

He'll run through a brick wall to get the ball and then balloon a cross over the goal. 

Hes the hardest working player in the team and I would have him in the left back position against Portugal all day long, but the guy can be a frustrating player to watch.

But you are right that I should highlight the very good stuff he brings to the team more.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 1:58pm
The general consensus is that he played well and you just want to focus on the negative aspects.

His crossing was decent last night. I rewatched the Andorra game and your right he did lost his man, are you going to be like a dog with a bone now for the next 3 months highlighting this?

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 2:00pm

I haven’t been a fan of McCleans performances but he was good yesterday. Made a few defensive challenge and put some dangerous crosses in. Mixed in with his usual commitment and effort, he was impressive overall. 
El Puto Amo
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I haven’t been a fan of McCleans performances but he was good yesterday. Made a few defensive challenge and put some dangerous crosses in. Mixed in with his usual commitment and effort, he was impressive overall. 
I’m far from a fan of his either. I admire his commitment for us and how hard he works but that hasn’t been of much use to us since the 2018 World Cup qualifiers. In saying that he was better yesterday his crossing was much better and he made a great tackle during the first half. In saying that there was a time during the Andorra game where he didn’t beat the first man with 3 crosses in a row. Left wing back could suit him going forward.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I think it was one of McClean's best performances in awhile and he did put in a few decent crosses I thought. He was excellent defensively. 

That wing back role is made for him and he's one of the best Irish players I've ever seen for stamina. 

Stevens has never played that well for Ireland imo and I would definitely start McClean away to Portugal given the amount of sustained pressure we'll be under. Wing back is McClean's position to lose imo. 

Would agree with all that. He performed better in that role last night than Stevens ever has for us.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 2:53pm
Realistically, this is McClean's last campaign with Ireland, and we have no obvious left back ready to take over. Could do with establishing someone over the next 18 months. 

Nations league kicking off next June. Euro 2024 qualifying kicking off March 2023. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 2:54pm
Ryan Manning - and he's currently being blooded in at the minute.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 3:08pm
[QUOTE=horsebox]The general consensus is that he played well and you just want to focus on the negative aspects.

His crossing was decent last night. I rewatched the Andorra game and your right he did lost his man, are you going to be like a dog with a bone now for the next 3 months highlighting this?

[/QUOTE

If I do bring it up Horse, I'll be sure to caveat it with the fact that he was otherwise solid every other minute defensively over the two games, which he was. 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 3:12pm
You have to put into perspective that in the current managerial set up the players are actually being coached propperly, you can't read too much in the Mick McCarthys second reign as his job description is different to Stephen Kenny's but I'd love to know from a player prospective which was the more beneficial training camps, the week in Antalya under MON and Roy, or the past week in Girona under Kenny.  IMO our national side havn't been coached in decades.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 4:12pm
McClean put in a great cross that Duffy was close to getting on the end of last night. Also started the attack where Horgan superbly set up Idah. He was also more defensively solid than Doherty. This was an improvement.

Parrott and Idah didn't really work out as a two. Idah was really struggling to assert himself while Parrott tried harder to get involved and won a few frees in decent positions. IDK what he was thinking trying to take the ball around a defender with the experience and nous of Orban, though, seeing as he's not exactly endowed with explosive pace. Idah improved when Horgan and Knight were playing either side, and Knight in particular was constantly leading the charge on attacks.

Hourihane lazily gave the ball away in the opening moments and it didn't get much better from there - even his free kicks were atrocious. I don't think anyone else offers a drastic improvement on him to be frankly honest. Molumby is more mobile but he's as unsophisticated as they come, with his kicking the corner flag routine and running battle with a Hungary player after getting muscled off the ball summing him up quite well; Arter, of course, is little better. I think some people are getting a bit of a reality check re: Cullen. He's a decent option to sit in front of the defense but he's not any more adventurous than Whelan was and some of his passes out of defense are comical. I just feel that their aggression, athleticism and mobility alone simply make them better options than Hourihane, and importantly, they compliment each other better when he's off the pitch as evidenced last night. It's important to mention, though, that Hourihane played two playoff games with Swansea and was probably absolutely knackered.

Shane Duffy was uncharacteristically expansive with his passing, using the ball well, and he looked dangerous on set pieces while making a vital interception in our own box. One dodgy moment aside where Doherty put him under pressure and Duffy and O'Shea were careless in trying to clear their lines. Egan was very unlucky not to score but had a few dodgy moments demonstrative of his domestic struggles this season. O'Shea very composed in bringing the ball out of defense but can look nervy when there are loose balls in the box.

Bazunu keeps a first clean sheet for us, which is badly needed for him. Kelleher outdid Bazunu's first half save with a string of saves of his own in the second half, demonstrating incredibly quick and instinctive reflexes. He oozes composure, like Randolph, and I would be confident with him in goal in September. I still maintain we would've went home with a point with either him or Randolph in goal against Serbia.

Horgan helped to change the game and settle us down and it's no coincidence that the 60-80th minute of the game immediately after he came on was our best spell in the game.

I would've liked to see more of Ogbene. He got himself into great positions and offered something different with his pace. Did superbly to tee up the second chance he was involved in. I don't think he's going to be any more composed in front of goal than any of our other attacking players based on his first chance, though.

Overall, decent game management by Kenny and signs of green shoots.

Why was Sean Hughes from Never Mind the Buzzcocks the referee, though? I thought he was dead.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344>
  Share Topic