You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566 113>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 10:19am
In the 1990s, I recall listening to Leinster Finals on the radio, as they weren't being broadcast. Dublin v Meath in 1994 and 1995 spring to mind. First footage you saw was on The Sunday Game that night. In 1996, the Ulster Final was knocked on the head for the Leinster Final, although I expect that had to do with Dublin as All Ireland Champions. In the 1990s, a lot of big games weren't televised, as there simply wasn't the space, until they started splitting our provincial championship finals to 2pm and 4pm around 1998?

I'm really struggling to find the issue here, as what we are encountering thanks to the constant messing with the format of the Championship, is really just a return to old form, where there was not enough bandwidth to shall all the games. You cant 'protect' every game, and like in most other countries you need to incentivise people to actually attend the matches.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

When Donal Og was talking Sunday night I thought he was just ranting but the more you dig into it the fishier the situation becomes.

Virgin are saying there was no bid for the rights that Sky left behind, so sounds to me like GAA realised with the Round Robin in Hurling and the Group Stage in Football, that there'd be plenty of weekends with good games not on TV. So they've decided to get RTE onboard, go 50/50 on the profits of GAA go. I'm all for capitalism, but there's something not right when they get to decide what games go free to air and what go PPV every weekend. It's in both their interest now to keep the good games off RTE, more subs for GAA go and more tickets sold to games.

I'm hoping by calling it out now, we end up with the right games on TV when we get to the football round robin, rather than putting the good games there on PPV too.

I'm not really sure what the issue is here - The GAA are entitled to sell the games to whoever they like.
Now, there might be an issue for GAA members as to why they didn't go to a competitive bid but that's another matter. The marquee games are protected under the main rights deal with the GAA so theree can't be any All Ireland Semi finals, finals, provincial finals etc on GAA Go solely. 

Kerry v Mayo is a ‘marquee game’ no matter what stage of the Championship it’s at. It’s plain wrong that it will not be televised, instead being streamed on GaaGo 

A game that 100% Sky would have picked too if their agreement was still there. 

But just to say I don't think Sky's coverage can be compared to GaaGO. A lot easier to get Sky in for someone not tech savvy than sort out GaaGo. My own dad who is in his 70's is fairly up to date with technology but he had to pick up a firestick for my aunt so she could get GaaGo at home as their tv isn't up to date. Even with Sky the option to watch in the pub was there.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 10:57am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

When Donal Og was talking Sunday night I thought he was just ranting but the more you dig into it the fishier the situation becomes.

Virgin are saying there was no bid for the rights that Sky left behind, so sounds to me like GAA realised with the Round Robin in Hurling and the Group Stage in Football, that there'd be plenty of weekends with good games not on TV. So they've decided to get RTE onboard, go 50/50 on the profits of GAA go. I'm all for capitalism, but there's something not right when they get to decide what games go free to air and what go PPV every weekend. It's in both their interest now to keep the good games off RTE, more subs for GAA go and more tickets sold to games.

I'm hoping by calling it out now, we end up with the right games on TV when we get to the football round robin, rather than putting the good games there on PPV too.

I'm not really sure what the issue is here - The GAA are entitled to sell the games to whoever they like.
Now, there might be an issue for GAA members as to why they didn't go to a competitive bid but that's another matter. The marquee games are protected under the main rights deal with the GAA so theree can't be any All Ireland Semi finals, finals, provincial finals etc on GAA Go solely. 

Kerry v Mayo is a ‘marquee game’ no matter what stage of the Championship it’s at. It’s plain wrong that it will not be televised, instead being streamed on GaaGo 

A game that 100% Sky would have picked too if their agreement was still there. 

But just to say I don't think Sky's coverage can be compared to GaaGO. A lot easier to get Sky in for someone not tech savvy than sort out GaaGo. My own dad who is in his 70's is fairly up to date with technology but he had to pick up a firestick for my aunt so she could get GaaGo at home as their tv isn't up to date. Even with Sky the option to watch in the pub was there.

Pubs can show GAA also.
Streaming really is where it is at now but obviously it isn't as straightforward for older people. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 11:09am

Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

A high profile manager in Ulster has been called out by his ex wife on social media for years of alleged physical abuse Shocked

Crazy stuff. Hard to see him staying in a job if it’s true, never mind avoiding prison 

Don't think he'll be in the dugout come the weekend
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

A high profile manager in Ulster has been called out by his ex wife on social media for years of alleged physical abuse Shocked

Crazy stuff. Hard to see him staying in a job if it’s true, never mind avoiding prison 

who are we talking about here?

Actually just seen who it is...

Edited by doherty - 10 May 2023 at 11:26am
I love beer gardens
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 11:32am

Yeah don't get me wrong, there's nothing illegal done here, it's a capitalist world we live in and everyone's allowed to extract as much money from their customers as they'll tolerate.

It's just important that we call it out when it's price gouging rather than just sitting there and saying nothing. If RTE get a free pass now, it's only going to have them thinking of more PPV ideas in the future
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 8:44pm
As far as I can remember, when TV3 lost the rights to Sky (back in 2014) the deal done then didn't differ much from what TV3 had been paying.

A quick google search comes up with this:

Quote "TV3 made a very commercial bid for the next three years but this appears to have been superseded by the GAA's preference for a pay television strategy," TV3's Director of Broadcasting Niall Cogley said.

So the GAA sold rights for much the same, and got terrible viewing figures on Sky (especially compared with the TV3 audiences).

However, the precedent was set. They took games that were free-to-air and put them behind a paywall.

GAAGO is now the evolution of that strategy. People probably needed to stand up to the Sky deal if they wanted to stop the game going pay-per-view.

Overall though, it looks like more and more games, in a much tighter time frame. All these changes to the All-Ireland competitions and to what end? For the GAA to try and "maximise shareholder value" or whatever.

Even if the GAA puts every cent back into the game, what has been the result? Gaelic Football is far less entertaining or competitive than it used to be, and the strong Hurling counties are still the same strong Hurling counties.

And if we are to talk capitalism and the FIFA-isation of the GAA. When are the workers going to get a cut?

Increasingly it looks like the story of the goose that laid the golden eggs.

ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 9:15pm

Mad to think some people out there saying she said all this because he's an ulster final later this week. if that's the case why not announce it last year or the previous years he's been involved in finals 

Haven't had him involved in donegal for a few years can say wasn't totally shocked when read thst this morning he wouldn't be flavour of the month in these parts and not just because of his poor management of the team 
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 10:05pm

He wouldn't need to be. There is real anger out there at this and rightly so.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

In the 1990s, I recall listening to Leinster Finals on the radio, as they weren't being broadcast. Dublin v Meath in 1994 and 1995 spring to mind. First footage you saw was on The Sunday Game that night. In 1996, the Ulster Final was knocked on the head for the Leinster Final, although I expect that had to do with Dublin as All Ireland Champions. In the 1990s, a lot of big games weren't televised, as there simply wasn't the space, until they started splitting our provincial championship finals to 2pm and 4pm around 1998?

I'm really struggling to find the issue here, as what we are encountering thanks to the constant messing with the format of the Championship, is really just a return to old form, where there was not enough bandwidth to shall all the games. You cant 'protect' every game, and like in most other countries you need to incentivise people to actually attend the matches.
But what's your 90 year old grandad going to watch. He's watched every game ever on telly for the last 70 year's 😂
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

As far as I can remember, when TV3 lost the rights to Sky (back in 2014) the deal done then didn't differ much from what TV3 had been paying.

Quote "TV3 made a very commercial bid for the next three years but this appears to have been superseded by the GAA's preference for a pay television strategy," TV3's Director of Broadcasting Niall Cogley said.

So the GAA sold rights for much the same, and got terrible viewing figures on Sky (especially compared with the TV3 audiences).

However, the precedent was set. They took games that were free-to-air and put them behind a paywall.

GAAGO is now the evolution of that strategy. People probably needed to stand up to the Sky deal if they wanted to stop the game going pay-per-view.

Overall though, it looks like more and more games, in a much tighter time frame. All these changes to the All-Ireland competitions and to what end? For the GAA to try and "maximise shareholder value" or whatever.

Even if the GAA puts every cent back into the game, what has been the result? Gaelic Football is far less entertaining or competitive than it used to be, and the strong Hurling counties are still the same strong Hurling counties.

And if we are to talk capitalism and the FIFA-isation of the GAA. When are the workers going to get a cut?

Success of GAA isn't judged on how competitive the top 5 teams are in the country, it's the astroturf pitches and floodlights and clubhouses that they have all over the country. 99% of GAA players aren't intercounty players
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:30am

Don't think they "lost" the rights. My recollection of it was TV3 threw the majority of their sports budget at taking Rugby from RTÉ which then left a void for the games they did show on Saturdays which Sky took on. Not sure if Setanta Sports was an option back then too.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:34am

Don't think they "lost" the rights. My recollection of it was TV3 threw the majority of their sports budget at taking Rugby from RTÉ which then left a void for the games they did show on Saturdays which Sky took on. Not sure if Setanta Sports was an option back then too.
TV3 also showed some of the games that RTE used to show and now show e.g. Some provincial finals. Sky didn't and a lot of the games on Sky were extra games that wouldn't have been on TV previously.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:36am
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Mad to think some people out there saying she said all this because he's an ulster final later this week. if that's the case why not announce it last year or the previous years he's been involved in finals 

Haven't had him involved in donegal for a few years can say wasn't totally shocked when read thst this morning he wouldn't be flavour of the month in these parts and not just because of his poor management of the team 

Was it him that was caught up the tree spying on Kerry before an AI final in 2014?
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 10:06am

Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Was it him that was caught up the tree spying on Kerry before an AI final in 2014?
No he was gone out of the Donegal set up at that stage. 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:27am
I don't remember TV3 showing matches at all
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:30am
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 11:58am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

I don't remember TV3 showing matches at all

Had them for at least 2 seasons. I remember Senan Connell being one of their pundits. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566 113>
  Share Topic