You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6667686970 111>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 9:18am
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

Originally posted by eboue16 eboue16 wrote:

Sure they might have it as the curtain raiser to Crokes v Glen
True - Joe Brolly on the rant... wouldn't be the first time 16 men on the pitch....

If it was the other way around though, the replay would have been already rescheduled.
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 5:54am
Originally posted by eboue16 eboue16 wrote:

True - Joe Brolly on the rant... wouldn't be the first time 16 men on the pitch....
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
eboue16 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eboue16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 9:49pm
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 9:40pm
Anyone heading down to Croker on Saturday to see the Dubs v Kildare.. Division2 no less. No handball alley unfortunately, but we'll survive. McGrath's beforehand if anyone is around. Beer
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I'm not advocating maintaining the status quo in terms of funding - I think there is more detail and nuance to finding a solution that works. But I think just a blanket cut will inevitably mean people miss out. And that my not necessarily be at the expense of kids in other counties for example. 
It's not cutting all funding though just a portion of it. The imbalance is so big it's one of many first steps that need taken to find a fair balance. I'm assuming this money cut from Dublin is going to other counties. If not it's a load of sh*te.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Will mean some kids miss out on having qualified coaches

Hopefully more kids around the country are afforded that opportunity as a result but it probably won't work that way!
Am fairly sure it won't. 
Now, I'm not a total expert on this but what I've been told is that the coaches in Dublin are subsidised through fundraising as well as central funds. So, that option should also be there for other counties.

On paper those fundraising/sponsorship opportunities.should be there, but in reality it doesn't work that way. Much smaller population, less disposable income means less money donatedby the average person. A smaller number of local businesses dealing with those very same issues on the customer front,  then hit for sponsorship form every local club be it sporting or otherwise. The money just isn't there to sustain funding from those channels. 

Many counties just don't have the capability to fundraise and attract sponsors like Dublin can or Cork even. 

And I do get that. If it was up to me I'd be looking at some sort of centralised sponsorship model to try and share around the riches. But I'm not sure how far that sponsorship actually goes in Dublin - As in, is it used to finance the county teams and the remainder used to make up the shortfall in the difference between grants, fundraising and the cost of coaches?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 4:28pm

Hopefully more kids around the country are afforded that opportunity as a result but it probably won't work that way!
Am fairly sure it won't. 
Now, I'm not a total expert on this but what I've been told is that the coaches in Dublin are subsidised through fundraising as well as central funds. So, that option should also be there for other counties.

On paper those fundraising/sponsorship opportunities.should be there, but in reality it doesn't work that way. Much smaller population, less disposable income means less money donatedby the average person. A smaller number of local businesses dealing with those very same issues on the customer front,  then hit for sponsorship form every local club be it sporting or otherwise. The money just isn't there to sustain funding from those channels. 

Many counties just don't have the capability to fundraise and attract sponsors like Dublin can or Cork even. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 2:20pm
I'm not advocating maintaining the status quo in terms of funding - I think there is more detail and nuance to finding a solution that works. But I think just a blanket cut will inevitably mean people miss out. And that my not necessarily be at the expense of kids in other counties for example. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

How much difference will this make?

Dublin GAA CEO John Costello has criticised the GAA’s decision to cut Dublin’s funding by a staggering €450,000 per year, with job losses and sale of assets on the table.⁠
Dublin have typically received the most funding, due to the size of its population, but it set to be hit hardest by the GAA’s funding re-shuffle.⁠ 

Dublin for years received more funding per person then other counties for no other reason then bias. And the whole develop the city argument doesn't hold up, when you look what cities like Belfast, cork, Derry, Limerick etc were getting from the gaa compared to Dublin. Everyone outside Dublin considered second class citizens for at least 20 years.

Joke of a system which has aided Dublins dominance so a reduction in funding to Dublin can only be a good thing. Unless you want even more super clubs like crokes who barely even celebrate after winning a Leinster title.

I'm just glad they were sh*te enough at hurling so they didn't dominate that aswell.

People viewing this solely through the prism of "Dublin Dominance" are slightly missing the point.
An under 10 camogie player having a funded coach has little to do with the amount of All-Irelands the Dublin footballers win.
I'm looking through the prism of fairness. Kid's in Dublin getting more funding per kid Vs kids outside Dublin. Kid's in Dublin having more professional coaches per kid then outside of Dublin. And there was a massive imbalance not a small one.

No matter how you look at it Dublin we're privileged for 20 year's and yes a by product of that will be dominance. But the real issue is the privilege, the dominance is Just a negative side effect. The association should be about fairness not helping the rich get richer.

At least the Dublin footballers knew what was up. They referenced their privilege in almost every speech and interview.
I'm from Cork and have a lot of friends and family involved in clubs there (mainly Nemo). I'm now living in Dublin involved in coaching underage there (St.Vincents). Both systems are absolutely identical from what I've seen so far. Both teams have volunteer coaches, an astro pitch, set of balls/hurleys/helmets and cones. 

So far from my view U12's and younger, there's zero difference in the training of kids.

My limited experience also is that the GDAs/GPOs that work in Dublin a lot of the time are from outside of Dublin and those who work in Dublin often move on elsewhere. Would have encountered GDAs in London who've worked in Dublin and come over. So I don't see how they are any more professional.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 1:53pm

Dublin GAA CEO John Costello has criticised the GAA’s decision to cut Dublin’s funding by a staggering €450,000 per year, with job losses and sale of assets on the table.⁠
Dublin have typically received the most funding, due to the size of its population, but it set to be hit hardest by the GAA’s funding re-shuffle.⁠ 

Dublin for years received more funding per person then other counties for no other reason then bias. And the whole develop the city argument doesn't hold up, when you look what cities like Belfast, cork, Derry, Limerick etc were getting from the gaa compared to Dublin. Everyone outside Dublin considered second class citizens for at least 20 years.

Joke of a system which has aided Dublins dominance so a reduction in funding to Dublin can only be a good thing. Unless you want even more super clubs like crokes who barely even celebrate after winning a Leinster title.

I'm just glad they were sh*te enough at hurling so they didn't dominate that aswell.

People viewing this solely through the prism of "Dublin Dominance" are slightly missing the point.
An under 10 camogie player having a funded coach has little to do with the amount of All-Irelands the Dublin footballers win.
I'm looking through the prism of fairness. Kid's in Dublin getting more funding per kid Vs kids outside Dublin. Kid's in Dublin having more professional coaches per kid then outside of Dublin. And there was a massive imbalance not a small one.

No matter how you look at it Dublin we're privileged for 20 year's and yes a by product of that will be dominance. But the real issue is the privilege, the dominance is Just a negative side effect. The association should be about fairness not helping the rich get richer.

At least the Dublin footballers knew what was up. They referenced their privilege in almost every speech and interview.
I'm from Cork and have a lot of friends and family involved in clubs there (mainly Nemo). I'm now living in Dublin involved in coaching underage there (St.Vincents). Both systems are absolutely identical from what I've seen so far. Both teams have volunteer coaches, an astro pitch, set of balls/hurleys/helmets and cones. 

So far from my view U12's and younger, there's zero difference in the training of kids.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 12:52pm

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 9:40am

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 9:34am

Am fairly sure it won't. 

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 9:25am

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 9:18am

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 9:09am
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 6:22am

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 5:30pm
Sad story coming out of Antrim today, ex-Derry footballer Fergal Doherty up for manslaughter after a lad he punched died. Reading the report it was Doherty's own bar, which had a stag party in for the night, someone had to be escorted out, and Doherty who was working threw a punch back at someone, lad fell, hit his head and died. Joe Brolly acting as his barrister.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6667686970 111>
  Share Topic