You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 113>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Then every passage of play there’ll be a free for every little bit of contact even Kevin McStay on commentary said you can’t be giving a free in for that especially at the stage of the game it looks very bad on the referee. I’m just saying how Dublin’s luck with refereeing decisions changed very obviously from 2011 onwards and you don’t want to be winning games like that.

It was more than just slight contact, it impeded Brogan in going for the ball, regardless of whether he was going to get to it or not. I profoundly disagreed with McStay's take on it that day, and to this day I can still hear his apoplectic "ah no, ah no!" ringing in my ears. The Kildare defender's gamble did pay off, or else he didnt think in the split second and made the wrong call. Either way, those sort of jersey tugs, where there is only two players going for the ball will be penalised.

I don't disagree that Dublin enjoyed an upswing in refereeing fortunes. I can remember times when Dublin players were being laid out by opposition players and nothing was being done about it. But for some reason, I've always stood by my view that that free was the right call.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 9:48pm
Take these games out of Croke Park ffs. It's utterly ludicrous 

And Meath nominating in the first place. The daft ****s 

If this game is in literally any other ground in Leinster, its an occasion and almost a sellout
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Dublin got a lot of bad decisions over the years pre 2011 some awful ones but then it all changed in the Kildare game that year Bernard Brogan getting a handy free in to win the game for absolutely nothing a handy enough free to beat Kerry in the final  

In fairness, that was a free every day of the week, the tug on BB's jersey was clear. It was a handy free, but there was substance behind it. 
[/QUOTE]Then every passage of play there’ll be a free for every little bit of contact even Kevin McStay on commentary said you can’t be giving a free in for that especially at that stage of the game it looks very bad on the referee. I’m just saying how Dublin’s luck with refereeing decisions changed very obviously from 2011 onwards and you don’t want to be winning games like that.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 14 Apr 2024 at 9:48pm
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Yeah there's no championship buzz around the matches, on a cold wet April Saturday
Clashing with the climax of the Premier League season doesn't help either.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 9:27pm

Dublin got a lot of bad decisions over the years pre 2011 some awful ones but then it all changed in the Kildare game that year Bernard Brogan getting a handy free in to win the game for absolutely nothing a handy enough free to beat Kerry in the final  [/QUOTE]

In fairness, that was a free every day of the week, the tug on BB's jersey was clear. It was a handy free, but there was substance behind it. 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

The GAA are reaping the rewards of amateurism even though those responsible in HQ are professionals. Who would have thought giving the most successful Leinster county by far ridiculous resources and every advantage possible would result in a non event. You'd have to wonder what's wrong with those who still attend. Use to love watching this championship but it's dead and buried now. 

For me, I’d trace it to the back door system. The biggest winners of the back door system were the top counties who could lose at provincial level, and beef up over a series of games in the All Ireland Series, before finally meeting provincial champions who often sat on their hands for 3-4 weeks between games. It also meant a vast increase in the number of games per season, and the novelty of playing counties like Waterford in football just didn’t appeal to bring out the crowds. Dublin’s advantages are a separate issue, as for five years before they won’t their first All Ireland and 10 before the started to dominate the AI Series, they were winning Leinster (albeit by tighter margins). Today, Kildare just about scraped over the line against Wicklow. There is no question about Dublin’s abilities, but that doesn’t explain the shocking decline in Leinster amongst counties outside of Dublin.
While the GAA waited for the money to show results they publicly stated they needed Dublin to win. Many of those tight margins they were on the wrong side of dubious refereeing decisions and the constant home advantage played a part too. How did the GAA think Dublin continuously winning would keep selling out Croker? Feels like a different reality now but I used to love sitting down on a Sunday with the dinner and watching the Leinster championship.

Dublin got a lot of bad decisions over the years pre 2011 some awful ones but then it all changed in the Kildare game that year Bernard Brogan getting a handy free in to win the game for absolutely nothing a handy enough free to beat Kerry in the final and if we’re honest no time added on for Cluxton taking about 90 seconds to come up the field and kick it. A few more in the years after aswell. Still think the worst decision ever was Brian Gavin finding time that wasn’t there to help Clare in 2013 and get a lucrative pay day for the Gaa! What do you think Eirland?

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 14 Apr 2024 at 9:22pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 8:21pm
Yup, don’t like the new season. Years ago the Ulster Preliminary Round was a real treat to look forward to in mid May. And it was a good opportunity for a shock. Or Derry v Down in 1994 is etched in my brain as an absolute classic.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 8:17pm
Yeah there's no championship buzz around the matches, on a cold wet April Saturday
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 8:16pm
I also think starting the Championship in early April is another nail in the coffin. The league finished 1 week and its like Championship next week. People are like what???? Already? You just cant get into it this time of year. People of my generation and a lot grew up watching games in June, blaring sun and a packed Croke Park or Mchale Park or wherever. Playing games in the wind and rain in April just doesn't cut for me IMO. Competitive nature of games aside Championship in April is wrong.
I love beer gardens
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 8:15pm

The GAA are reaping the rewards of amateurism even though those responsible in HQ are professionals. Who would have thought giving the most successful Leinster county by far ridiculous resources and every advantage possible would result in a non event. You'd have to wonder what's wrong with those who still attend. Use to love watching this championship but it's dead and buried now. 

For me, I’d trace it to the back door system. The biggest winners of the back door system were the top counties who could lose at provincial level, and beef up over a series of games in the All Ireland Series, before finally meeting provincial champions who often sat on their hands for 3-4 weeks between games. It also meant a vast increase in the number of games per season, and the novelty of playing counties like Waterford in football just didn’t appeal to bring out the crowds. Dublin’s advantages are a separate issue, as for five years before they won’t their first All Ireland and 10 before the started to dominate the AI Series, they were winning Leinster (albeit by tighter margins). Today, Kildare just about scraped over the line against Wicklow. There is no question about Dublin’s abilities, but that doesn’t explain the shocking decline in Leinster amongst counties outside of Dublin.
While the GAA waited for the money to show results they publicly stated they needed Dublin to win. Many of those tight margins they were on the wrong side of dubious refereeing decisions and the constant home advantage played a part too. How did the GAA think Dublin continuously winning would keep selling out Croker? Feels like a different reality now but I used to love sitting down on a Sunday with the dinner and watching the Leinster championship.

In fairness, I think the sell-outs prior to QFs etc stopped around 2008. The recession hit people hard, and some simply didn’t  come back. Lockdown in 2020 was another break for people who probably haven’t been back since either. But undoubtedly the over-use of Croke Park, the Dublin winning streak, and the marked decline of the other ‘big dogs’ in Leinster has resulted in the crowd we saw today. The provincials have really be hit since the into of the back-door system though, so this decline in relevance has been ongoing for longer than many think. There is no question that the excitement is a long way from the 1990s when there were 4 AI competitors in Leinster.

Edited by Het-field - 14 Apr 2024 at 8:16pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 8:10pm
The provincials are as good as dead. Shocking crowd in Croker today and in the 3 Ulster games so far. No one seems to have any interest in going and having been in Pairc Esler last night I can't blame them. Borefests

The league was more exciting
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 7:59pm

Edited by eireland - 14 Apr 2024 at 8:00pm
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 7:34pm
Kildare very very lucky, Wicklow (my County) likely won't have as good a chance for a few years. I'll be dreaming of the missed open goal tonight.

The wait goes on. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 7:13pm

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 6:59pm
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 6:39pm

Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Brutal crowd in Croke Park.

Unfortunately, even as a hardcore Dublin fan, with many miles under the belt, you can’t but look at today’s crowd and the outcome and not feel they are related. The earlier Championship is also playing into that. But I recall 23k showed up for Dublin v Tipperary in 2010 after the infamous 5 goal rout by Meath (there was hurling on beforehand), but today just over 20k attended. I love seeing Dublin win, but the Leinster championship is undoubtedly becoming somewhat pro-forma and it’s hard to motivate before it in the way it once was.
Leinster Ch'ship has been a total non-event for years now.

The only way you'll be able see the likes of a competitive Dublin v Meath game in a packed Croke Park nowadays is by sticking on a past match on YouTube.Unhappy

Edited by ConorMac77 - 14 Apr 2024 at 6:41pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Brutal crowd in Croke Park.

Unfortunately, even as a hardcore Dublin fan, with many miles under the belt, you can’t but look at today’s crowd and the outcome and not feel they are related. The earlier Championship is also playing into that. But I recall 23k showed up for Dublin v Tipperary in 2010 after the infamous 5 goal rout by Meath (there was hurling on beforehand), but today just over 20k attended. I love seeing Dublin win, but the Leinster championship is undoubtedly becoming somewhat pro-forma and it’s hard to motivate before it in the way it once was.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 5:43pm
Some nice young players in this Meath side, if they can stick together and continue developing they could be a tough outfit in a couple years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 113>
  Share Topic