You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Portugal Away, 1st September 2021- Travel & Accom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portugal Away, 1st September 2021- Travel & Accom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:24am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Lisbon seems to be for the big games. Anyone ever use the rail service in Portugal? Is it reasonable?

Croatia played in Faro in September 2018 and in Porto in September 2020.  

They were both Nations League games though, weren't they? And we all know it's not been taken quite as seriously as a qualifying campaign. Considering how important this game is bound to be, I would be expecting to see this one being put on in Benfica's stadium in Lisbon. 

The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Sponsored Links

ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:50am
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Lisbon seems to be for the big games. Anyone ever use the rail service in Portugal? Is it reasonable?

Took train from albuferia to Lisbon after we played Gibraltar in 2015 was grand job and was reasonably priced from what I can mind
There was about 15 or so Irish lads in our carriage and they were all unconscious for 95% of the journey so that implies it was a smooth journey . That includes yourself Wink

That shows how great the service was since that was probably the best sleep I got all trip LOL
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:24am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

While I know some people have booked Belgrade I feel this has the most realistic chance of our first competitive away game after the pandemic. While the game will probably be in Lisbon it is possible it maybe somewhere else. For those booking hotels with free cancellation what district in Lisbon are you booking.
While I acknowledge that Irish bars are expensive the area around Hennessy's near the harbour area seems like a decent spot, large open spaces and a square for those who want to kick footballs into balconies, but more importantly it's near pink street where there are a range of bars and clubs open untill dawn. Booked 262 Boutique Hotel myself.
Looking forward to a bit of Sun, Sea and Superbok now.

Booked the Leaf Boutique Hotel myself which is further up near that big park (Parque Eduardo) . It's probably the same company that owns both hotels. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 12:03pm
Lisbon is a cracking city, great nightlife. If the world is back to normal, will build the summer holidays around this. Down to the Algarve for a week or so, then tip up to Lisbon the Tuesday for the game on the Wednesday. 
Touts Out!
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Yeah but Croatia were never going to bring large numbers of away support.  Unlikely that Portugal would face the likes of England, Germany, and indeed, us, outside of Lisbon.

Even assuming away fans are allowed in September I doubt that will be their main consideration.  

They do move games around the country.  Denmark went to Braga in the 2016 qualifiers.  If we play in Lisbon then others in our group will play outside the capital.  All I am saying really is allow time to travel elsewhere if booking flights to Lisbon.  It is also best to book free cancellation as always on hotels.   

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 3:20pm
Booking Lisbon for flights not a huge risk regardless of where we play IMO. Faro and Lisbon are the only places where there's regular flights to from here. Think Ryanair only fly to Porto once or twice a week. You won't be screwed for getting eleswhere in Portugal by flying to Lisbon

Edited by Denis Irwin - 14 Dec 2020 at 3:21pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
muscles View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muscles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 5:45pm

While I know some people have booked Belgrade I feel this has the most realistic chance of our first competitive away game after the pandemic. While the game will probably be in Lisbon it is possible it maybe somewhere else. For those booking hotels with free cancellation what district in Lisbon are you booking.
While I acknowledge that Irish bars are expensive the area around Hennessy's near the harbour area seems like a decent spot, large open spaces and a square for those who want to kick footballs into balconies, but more importantly it's near pink street where there are a range of bars and clubs open untill dawn. Booked 262 Boutique Hotel myself.
Looking forward to a bit of Sun, Sea and Superbok now.

Thats where all the action was back in 2000 anyway and i dont recall it being dear, in fact there some great local bars down side streets that were very cheap though it is 20 years ago Ermm Have booked a hotel in that area anyway. Dont remember Pink St at all.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Took train from albuferia to Lisbon after we played Gibraltar in 2015 was grand job and was reasonably priced from what I can mind
Very good to hear. 
Ireland is pretty much a third world country when it come to any transport, Portugal was a,ways going to be grand.
It's handy as there's no flights to Lisbon from Cork, I can fly to Faro and get the train up. Happy days.
Kev87 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:50pm
Trying to organise a surprise 60th for the aul lad, had a look there flights seem fine free cancellation on hotel etc, been to most home games for the past 5or6 years but yet to make an away.
Considering just booking this week, sh*t happens and there's no away support allowed in are you all going to Lisbon anyway? 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 6:18am
Originally posted by Kev87 Kev87 wrote:

Trying to organise a surprise 60th for the aul lad, had a look there flights seem fine free cancellation on hotel etc, been to most home games for the past 5or6 years but yet to make an away.
Considering just booking this week, sh*t happens and there's no away support allowed in are you all going to Lisbon anyway? 
Probably too early for most to answer this. For the majority it will depend on the state of play with covid/restrictions etc. I and Most I know are holding off booking anything until things are much clearer. Bear in mind it may not be in Lisbon either.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 9:32am
I know of a few people who have booked this and will go whether the fans are allowed in or not.

I'm not booking anything myself until we get the all clear - which I doubt we will get.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I know of a few people who have booked this and will go whether the fans are allowed in or not.

I'm not booking anything myself until we get the all clear - which I doubt we will get.

Yep the same as you and Sham , just sitting on the fence until much closer to the time .

Don't mind paying twice as much as those who have already booked as long as we can be inside the ground .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 3:06pm
I’m booked ,more in hope than expectation 
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:03pm
Have a cheap flight out to Lisbon booked since the day the fixtures were released. Hopefully fans will be allowed in by then but very hard to judge the situation yet. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Have a cheap flight out to Lisbon booked since the day the fixtures were released. Hopefully fans will be allowed in by then but very hard to judge the situation yet. 

Funny I have a inbound flight booked as you obviously need to get back to Dublin for the sat game - outbound will depend or whether it will be a 3 nighter or 7 nighter or something in between
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 6:47pm
I've a direct outbound flight for the morning before the match booked for £38 and a hotel on free cancellation.

Won't be booking anything else until we find out about whether we can go or not. 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 7:15pm
Portugal imposes 14 day quarantine on people coming from Ireland.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 7:16pm

Portugal imposes 14 day quarantine on people coming from Ireland.
I happen to know for a fact that this may or may not be changed in time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>
  Share Topic