You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WC qualifiers: Will there be away fans?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Ballycastle Ballycastle wrote:

We have booked the Park Inn By Radisson Baku its a 12 minute walk to the two pubs that you mentioned according to Goggle maps. 12 of us have booked flights also so please god we will be able to travel by next October.

I think you can be fairly sure the flights will go ahead - The risk would be not being able to get into the game. 
or the game is elsewhere
Wouldn't have risked flights myself at this stage - not at the cost  it is to get to Baku

Yeah there is this too. Qarabag have had to play recent European games in Turkey.

Whatever about booking accommodation on free cancellation wouldn't be touching flights at the moment
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 10:05am
Are people booking flights now expecting to have the vaccine by then? 

Ballycastle View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballycastle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 10:06am

We have booked the Park Inn By Radisson Baku its a 12 minute walk to the two pubs that you mentioned according to Goggle maps. 12 of us have booked flights also so please god we will be able to travel by next October.

I think you can be fairly sure the flights will go ahead - The risk would be not being able to get into the game. 

The thinking behind booking so early is that with the gradual reopening of  stadiums cross Europe. But i do understand with the current  rules with no away fans and with this game over 10 months away it was a risk that we were willing to take but i suppose we will have a clearer picture next March / April so only time will tell if this risk pays off or not.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 10:13am

The thinking behind booking so early is that with the gradual reopening of  stadiums cross Europe. But i do understand with the current  rules with no away fans and with this game over 10 months away it was a risk that we were willing to take but i suppose we will have a clearer picture next March / April so only time will tell if this risk pays off or not.
All I'm booking at this stage is accommodation on free cancellation. There's no way, I'm going to pay out hundreds of pounds up front for flights if I don't know if I'm going to get to use them. I'll wait till the spring when, as you say, we should at least have a much better idea of what's going to happen, then I should be able to make a decision on whether it's worth booking flights. 
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Took a chance on Luxembourg mainly because of price and flight times 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 10:17am
Loads of options for getting to Luxembourg, wouldn't worry about booking flights there just yet. 
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 10:18am
That hotel is in a good spot, anywhere around maiden Tower is where you want to be

Finnegans is the better of those pubs and I'd imagine where most Irish will go. 

There is two others, the shamrock and the aforementioned O'Malley. Both of those pubs are as Irish as any other pub in Baku, not one Irish drink on tap

We were the only two people in one of them, until a cat walked in. The other was popular with British oil workers, can't remember which was which. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 10:21am
I'd be 90% certain there'll be away fans able to get in, in Lux. It's a call they could make as a late as September 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 10 Dec 2020 at 10:21am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Ballycastle View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballycastle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 10:32am
I'm very much doubting my decision booking so far in advance now Cry just with the excitement of the draw the other day and the possibility of getting to an away game or anywhere for that matter that made me take the decision quickly. But hopefully by time this game comes around the vaccine will be widely available.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 10:45am

If I get the vaccine before the Portugal game I’ll go to that one.
I don’t mind booking last minute and paying a bit more.

But I’m not keen on booking anything now. 

irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 10:53am
Vaccine is expected to be rolled out by the summer and case numbers/deaths should start to drop before then anyway as more and more get it. I'd be fairly confident we'll be getting to Baku. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 10:57am
Originally posted by irish_goat irish_goat wrote:

Loads of options for getting to Luxembourg, wouldn't worry about booking flights there just yet. 

not sure about the loads going forward ,  there would of been in normal circumstances  but I doubt airline schedules will return to precovid levels anytime soon  .

Like I said it for me it was more for convienence and price  - its a calculated risk
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 11:01am

Vaccine is expected to be rolled out by the summer and case numbers/deaths should start to drop before then anyway as more and more get it. I'd be fairly confident we'll be getting to Baku. 

It's not here that the issue necessarily it's how things are in Azerbaijan that may be the issue. Away games attendance  are likely to be on a country by country basis 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 11:07am

not sure about the loads going forward ,  there would of been in normal circumstances  but I doubt airline schedules will return to precovid levels anytime soon  .

Like I said it for me it was more for convienence and price  - its a calculated risk

Quick and easy from Paris, Brussels, Charloi, Frankfurt and Hahn, be fine. 

If you got a direct one booked, then that's a different story but certainly people won't find it difficult to get there. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 11:16am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Quick and easy from Paris, Brussels, Charloi, Frankfurt and Hahn, be fine. 

If you got a direct one booked, then that's a different story but certainly people won't find it difficult to get there. 

Eurostar from London an option also. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 11:36am

If I get the vaccine before the Portugal game I’ll go to that one.
I don’t mind booking last minute and paying a bit more.

But I’m not keen on booking anything now. 

Same as that really . I am happy to pay more for flights as long as i know i can go and sit in the stands at the game otherwise it's just a gamble with your own money as flights will go i think with you on them or not . Are people prepared to pay for a private jab and at what cost ?
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 12:01pm
Is there a danger that if Azerbaijan and Armenia continue to kick off, they are both ordered to play at neutral venues?
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 12:18pm

I'm very much doubting my decision booking so far in advance now Cry just with the excitement of the draw the other day and the possibility of getting to an away game or anywhere for that matter that made me take the decision quickly. But hopefully by time this game comes around the vaccine will be widely available.
I don’t think you should I be too worried to be honest. If any thing game is the best chance for away fans getting into stadiums and it’s 60k plus stadium and next October. Much better chance than Luxembourg with a tiny ground. Hopefully all will be grand for Portugal, Azerbaijan and Luxembourg but the biggest risk for them flight is probably if the conflict kicks off there again but it seems ok since September anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic