You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2022 World Cup Qualifiers Group A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 52>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Our chances of qualifying were remote, but with that draw there is now no chance. 

Portugal and Serbia will take maximum points off of Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. We needed lower seeded teams capable of getting draws off the bigger teams. 

What we are likely to get is 3 or 4 wins, but also 3 or 4 defeats.

Group H would have been much better for us. That's the kind of group you'd expect most teams to take points off one another, and 2 or 3 defeats might still allow you to take a play-off spot.

I get the whole being realistic about our chances but you're writing off the group where we're competing with Serbia for 2nd who recently got turned over by the Scots...

Life is dull enough these days without writing us off before a ball is kicked. 
Sponsored Links

newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 10:15pm
Of course I want Ireland at the 2022 World Cup finals.  But I wouldn't be too upset if we didn't make it to a Christmas World Cup in the desert.  Let these qualifyers be Stephen Kenny's chance to properly bed in his way of playing, and then a proper push for qualifying for Euro 2024 in Germany.  Now THAT one I'll be raging if we missed out on...
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 11:01pm
I didnt see the draw and wasn't following it so when I heard it first on the radio I was thinking "f**k that's a tough draw".
But looking at the other groups, I think there are only another 2 where I think we would have a similar or better chance. 

Portugal are very tough, id have them currently in the top 4 of europe. 
Serbia are a good technical side but no superstars. 
Luxembourg and Azerbaijan will be tricky but we should have the beating of them.

I predict second place. 

That said, we have been poor in the last number of years so basing it off Kenny has all the players available to him and we finally start putting in good performances and getting results

Edited by t_rAndy - 07 Dec 2020 at 11:02pm
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 11:06pm
I'm very happy with that draw. Serbia are not what they were. Portugal will be tough but we did take 4 points of the World Champions 5 years ago. Its not impossible.

Fixtures will be key 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 11:12pm
Were still fcked for a goal scorer tho. I cant see Parrott been ready to lead our line in March no way. I rate Connolly but will he score us the goals to progress. Unless we find someone before then how will we score.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 11:17pm

Our chances of qualifying were remote, but with that draw there is now no chance. 

Portugal and Serbia will take maximum points off of Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. We needed lower seeded teams capable of getting draws off the bigger teams. 

Group H would have been much better for us. That's the kind of group you'd expect most teams to take points off one another, and 2 or 3 defeats might still allow you to take a play-off spot.
Don't get this...Sure if they would take points off Portugal they are nailed on to take points off us!! Azerbaijan and a much improved Luxembourg away are far from gimmes 

belgradeboy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote belgradeboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:21am
Hi again dear friends.
Draw put us together again in the same group.

Honestly i don't know what to expect from our team. We were not expected win against Norway, and again complete nation were convinced that we will win comfortably against Scotland,but our team proved us wrong.
So, the situation is the same as it was for a decades, player agemts, mafia, coaches without experience and nepotism.

After the match against Scotland, couple of our former star players raised their voice against the complete system and FA management. Nemanja Vidic wrote a letter regarding situation in our FA which you can find on the web.

Slavoljub Muslin was sacked just before the start of WC2018, without any explanation (but we know that he was under pressure because he avoided to put Milinkovic Savic in the team). On his place they put Krstajic who was his assistant before.

Now, to save their asses, to court (i don't know the proper word) to the nation they're trying to bring Arsene Wenger (ahahhahaha) or Raymond Domenec (also ahahha) on our bench.

However, if they put someone without authority, i can expect that we will play very bad without plan and constancy. Just to mention that in last 10 matches we always started with different four defenders.

Someone mentioned that we are not the same quality as we used to be, i can't agree with that. By names probably we are better now, but the situation is the same in our FA.
Last time when we faced each other, we had a luck to have Slavoljub Muslin on the bench.

So, everything depends on manager, if we would have someone without balls, authority and vision, you can easily beat us (if Scotland could, than any team can).

I think no one believes in our national team anymore.

Wish you all the best, and may the better win.

Cheers from Belgrade

Edited by belgradeboy - 08 Dec 2020 at 1:11am
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 12:29am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Don't get this...Sure if they would take points off Portugal they are nailed on to take points off us!! Azerbaijan and a much improved Luxembourg away are far from gimmes 

Totally agree it’s a nonsense argument.  Our best bet was always going to be get one of the weakest 4th seeds and get a 2nd seed we had a fighting chance against with a 1st seed who is likely to run away with the group.  

Basically it will probably come down to the two games against Serbia to see if we make
the playoff and I will take that.  Would still predict we come 3rd in the group but Serbia are not much better than us and went out in the playoffs on penos. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 1:16am
I think we're really underestimating Serbia just because they couldn't get past Scotland

they have some genuine match winners in their side and its not the most pleasant away if there's a full house in by that time
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 5:01am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

I think we're really underestimating Serbia just because they couldn't get past Scotland

they have some genuine match winners in their side and its not the most pleasant away if there's a full house in by that time

They are better side than us there is no doubt.  

The place was half empty when we played them in 2016. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

They are better side than us there is no doubt.  

The place was half empty when we played them in 2016. 

Drinking in Partizan bar after game that night with few of their mad fans. They refuse point blank to cross threshold of Red Star stadium LOL
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 8:05am

a team that didn’t qualify for the euros and conceded 17 goals in the 8 group games - I don’t think we’re underestimating them. Us and them are at the same level based on recent results - a playoff spot is within reach.
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Totally agree it’s a nonsense argument.  Our best bet was always going to be get one of the weakest 4th seeds and get a 2nd seed we had a fighting chance against with a 1st seed who is likely to run away with the group.  

Basically it will probably come down to the two games against Serbia to see if we make
the playoff and I will take that.  Would still predict we come 3rd in the group but Serbia are not much better than us and went out in the playoffs on penos. 

This is how it will play out i believe.  I also think it is unlikely that both ourselves and Serbia will take 12 points from the games V Azerbaijan and Luxembourg.  One of us will slip up somewhere.  

We have gotten what we wanted i believe, a really good team from pot 1 who are likely and well capable of running away with the group (as you have said) and one of the lesser ranker or weaker (in comparison to say Poland, Switzerland, etc) sides from pot 2.  Can't have asked for much more than that.

Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 8:24am
Portugal are miles ahead of any of the rest and might win all games.   Lux and Azeris are poor. A two leg contest against Serbia is not bad.  The timing of the fixtures is key.  You want home games with your fans as late as possible. 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 8:38am
Originally posted by belgradeboy belgradeboy wrote:

Hi again dear friends.
Draw put us together again in the same group.

Honestly i don't know what to expect from our team. We were not expected win against Norway, and again complete nation were convinced that we will win comfortably against Scotland,but our team proved us wrong.
So, the situation is the same as it was for a decades, player agemts, mafia, coaches without experience and nepotism.

After the match against Scotland, couple of our former star players raised their voice against the complete system and FA management. Nemanja Vidic wrote a letter regarding situation in our FA which you can find on the web.

Slavoljub Muslin was sacked just before the start of WC2018, without any explanation (but we know that he was under pressure because he avoided to put Milinkovic Savic in the team). On his place they put Krstajic who was his assistant before.

Now, to save their asses, to court (i don't know the proper word) to the nation they're trying to bring Arsene Wenger (ahahhahaha) or Raymond Domenec (also ahahha) on our bench.

However, if they put someone without authority, i can expect that we will play very bad without plan and constancy. Just to mention that in last 10 matches we always started with different four defenders.

Someone mentioned that we are not the same quality as we used to be, i can't agree with that. By names probably we are better now, but the situation is the same in our FA.
Last time when we faced each other, we had a luck to have Slavoljub Muslin on the bench.

So, everything depends on manager, if we would have someone without balls, authority and vision, you can easily beat us (if Scotland could, than any team can).

I think no one believes in our national team anymore.

Wish you all the best, and may the better win.

Cheers from Belgrade

Thanks appreciate the update.  Serbia would still be favourites for 2nd at this point.  

I'm delighted with Luxembourg and Azerbaijan.  I wanted weaker 4th and 5th seeds as we are in transition.  I'm not saying we will definitely beat them but we need wins and confidence boosters.  Luxembourg are the weakest team in pot 4 despite recent improvements.  Our best chance is to bring it down to a battle with Serbia for 2nd.  

Agree the fixture list is crucial.  We started the last campaign with 5th seeds away and 4th seeds at home.  I know pretty much all the travelling fans are hoping for Baku later in 2021 but I am sure Stephen would take that.  I'd rather play Portugal early than Serbia.  Ideally a friendly in March and a couple of the less crucial games. 
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Luxembourg away in the first game, followed by Azerbijan at home would be the best opening fixtures for us.
More than capable of losing both those games.
We are in a  very bad place can’t keep clean sheets compared to previous managers when we concede against either  I can’t see us scoring and fighting for 4th spot on the other hand somehow beat either of top 2 confidence returns and we could top the group.
Portugal far from a one man show and have to be favourites to top group.
Where fixtures fall could have a big say Azerbaijan away I 2 game is key  
All opinions are my own and have f**k all to do with Mullingar RISSC CRISC Ticket Office or the FAI
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:05am
Apologies if this has been covered before, but can someone clarify how qualification works in a 5 team group Vs a 6 team group. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:06am
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Apologies if this has been covered before, but can someone clarify how qualification works in a 5 team group Vs a 6 team group. 

No difference other than you play less games 
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 52>
  Share Topic