You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2022 World Cup Qualifiers Group A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 52>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:18am
The incredibly low chance we have of qualification has greatly curbed my excitement.

We need to finish ahead of Serbia / Portugal to get at least a playoff - already it's incredibly unlikely we will outperform them over 8 games.

Then we will have a semi final playoff against a team better than us - away from home if we are not seeded (one of the 6 best runner ups). Being seeded would more likely give us a beatable opponent (think Romania, Austria, Wales rather than Poland or Switzerland).

If we win this we then have to beat a probably even better team a few days later to qualify.
Somebody posted a prediction link that we have a 4-5% of qualification which I think is bang on.

If it were a Euro qualification with 2nd automatically qualifying and 3rd having a playoff I would be far more excited.
Sponsored Links

green.dragon View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green.dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:19am
Regardless of what has happened over the last few months this is a new campaign. I certainly am excited. If we cant dream at the start of a new campaign then what is the point. Yes its going to be difficult. But as our captain said yesterday, he wants to qualify for a world cup for the fans. I certainly will stick by them and have faith they will do the best they can. 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:45am
Originally posted by flaghunter flaghunter wrote:

The incredibly low chance we have of qualification has greatly curbed my excitement.

We need to finish ahead of Serbia / Portugal to get at least a playoff - already it's incredibly unlikely we will outperform them over 8 games.

Then we will have a semi final playoff against a team better than us - away from home if we are not seeded (one of the 6 best runner ups). Being seeded would more likely give us a beatable opponent (think Romania, Austria, Wales rather than Poland or Switzerland).

Shure we have always been the underdogs.

In 1990 we were group D
94 we had the European champions and Spain in our group
02 we had Portugal and the Netherlands 

Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:51am

If we win this we then have to beat a probably even better team a few days later to qualify.
Somebody posted a prediction link that we have a 4-5% of qualification which I think is bang on.

If it were a Euro qualification with 2nd automatically qualifying and 3rd having a playoff I would be far more excited.
So you’re saying there’s a chance 😀
The way I see it is we have a 50/50 chance of progressing from this group. Ourselves and Serbia are not a million miles away from each other . It’s 50/50 whether we get 2nd or they do 
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

The way I see it is we have a 50/50 chance of progressing from this group. Ourselves and Serbia are not a million miles away from each other . It’s 50/50 whether we get 2nd or they do 
After that we’d be in a playoff which would be extremely difficult to get out of but if we have finished 2nd I’d imagine we’d be in a lot better of a place than we are in now with maybe a few of the young lads coming onto a game 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:13am
Feck the pessimism WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE GROUP!!!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

50/50 my hole LOLLOL

I'm all for a bit of match day positivity but Serbia are clear favourites to finish in second place. It's very likely they'll even take points of the top side in the group. We are nowhere near that capability tbh. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:54am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

if you aren’t excited about the start of a campaign then there is something wrong with you 

Cmon Ireland 
I am painfully aware that there's something wrong with most football fans, but if you're excited by this campaign I would suggest seeking advice.
Let's see...the worst playing pool I can remember, we can't score in a knocking shop, we can't travel to the game or experience a new city and country (in my case anyway as I didn't go to Serbia in 2016), will be watching at home said game being played in an empty stadium - I'm sorry but I can't remember being so unenthusiastic about the start of a qualification campaign. Cry

Edited by ConorMac77 - 24 Mar 2021 at 10:55am
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 11:11am

So you are saying there is a chance....

Edit: turns out I wasn’t being anyway original....

Edited by Loc - 24 Mar 2021 at 11:12am
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:15pm
Portugal lucky. Such an unfortunate OG
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:17pm
No pressure on Serbia now to get a result against Portugal as they have second spot wrapped up. Their match is a free hit at challenging Portugal for first spot. 

The Serbs might have a decent chance of finishing ahead of Portugal who unconvincingly beat Azerbaijan tonight. I think it'll be a draw on Saturday which puts another nail in our coffin. 
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

No pressure on Serbia now to get a result against Portugal as they have second spot wrapped up. Their match is a free hit at challenging Portugal for first spot. 

The Serbs might have a decent chance of finishing ahead of Portugal who unconvincingly beat Azerbaijan tonight. I think it'll be a draw on Saturday which puts another nail in our coffin. 

We will beat Serbia at home I think.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:19pm

How have they second spot wrapped up? A 1-0 win at home means we beat them h2h
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Believe me our head to head with them will matter fook all when they clobber us on goal difference and points. 

We needed a draw tonight to have any chance of finishing ahead of them in November. It's over. 
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:26pm

Believe me our head to head with them will matter fook all when they clobber us on goal difference and points. 

We needed a draw tonight to have any chance of finishing ahead of them in November. It's over. 

Glass half empty sorta guy I see.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

We will beat Serbia at home I think.

It doesn't matter if we do. 

We're not going to outscore or outpoint them in the fixtures against Portugal and the other sides. We needed 4 points minimum to have any chance of finishing ahead of Serbia as it was more likely they would take points of Portugal that we simply won't. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:31pm

I am a cautious, negative type in general but I'm just being realistic. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:37pm

I am a cautious, negative type in general but I'm just being realistic. 
Cmon muff,wheres the playboy of torun gone ?
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 52>
  Share Topic