Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gerry Peyton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 8:49pm
I posted that if we have a vacancy in the goal keeping coach position we could do worse than Gerry Peyton.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

Benhur View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 8:54pm
kelham o Hanlon was about at that time 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I posted that if we have a vacancy in the goal keeping coach position we could do worse than Gerry Peyton.  

Confused
Thats basically like "The last time Fr dunne was here, Fr Jack lost his slippers"
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Benhur Benhur wrote:

Kelham O'Hanlon would have been third choice around 1990

In 1994 it would have been Keith Branagan of Bolton I think, he was quite prominent in their FA Cup run that year, they were a rising team

Gary Kelly was fairly sh*te from what I recall, I'm sure he played in a televised match for Newcastle against Liverpool when Steve Nicol scored a hat trick, he wasn't very convincing and wasn't heard of much afterwards
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by Benhur Benhur wrote:

Kelham O'Hanlon would have been third choice around 1990

In 1994 it would have been Keith Branagan of Bolton I think, he was quite prominent in their FA Cup run that year, they were a rising team

Gary Kelly was fairly sh*te from what I recall, I'm sure he played in a televised match for Newcastle against Liverpool when Steve Nicol scored a hat trick, he wasn't very convincing and wasn't heard of much afterwards

Swept the boards of awards at Bury and Oldham and was young player of the year at the toon Cool

That puts him above GP for me LOL

A photo of him in an Ireland B game and he looks like part of the brass section in the commitments 

Edited by McG - 21 Nov 2020 at 11:52pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 8:20am
Just checked his wiki page and Gary was on standby for both the 1990 and 1994 World Cup squads. Big Jack decided to take an extra outfield player instead of three goalkeepers. With today’s rules he would have two world cups under his belt! Another interesting snippet on his wiki page is he was on the bench for that famous match in Turkey in 2000. Alan was injured so he was called up. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 10:52am
Originally posted by SeanyL SeanyL wrote:

I know for the 90 and 94 world cups we only had two goalkeepers in the squad but if it was three who would the third goalkeeper have been? What other Irish keepers were knocking around back then playing at a decent level?

Mark Beeney.

Well, at least according to the 1994 sticker album.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:02pm

Just checked his wiki page and Gary was on standby for both the 1990 and 1994 World Cup squads. Big Jack decided to take an extra outfield player instead of three goalkeepers. With today’s rules he would have two world cups under his belt! Another interesting snippet on his wiki page is he was on the bench for that famous match in Turkey in 2000. Alan was injured so he was called up. 

AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I know for the 90 and 94 world cups we only had two goalkeepers in the squad but if it was three who would the third goalkeeper have been? What other Irish keepers were knocking around back then playing at a decent level?

Mark Beeney.

He was never eligible, although he thought he was.
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Mark Beeney.

Reserve and academy goalkeeping coach at Chelsea since 2001. An option for Ireland if Alan Kelly retires.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:41pm
Wasn't Niall Quinn our official 3rd keeper in 1990 and the rules were changed for 94 that you needed to have 3 x recognised keepers? I'm sure I read that previously, though could have been just a tale.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:48pm
I much preferred it the way it was int he old days.  2 subs in the game and that's that. 
If the keeper gets injured an outfield player goes in goal.  Great craic.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I much preferred it the way it was int he old days.  2 subs in the game and that's that. 

You would love the mls playoff last night so. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:56pm

What happened?  I barely watch it these days except saw a bit of Orlando City (who would be my favourite team) v New York City the other night

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Wasn't Niall Quinn our official 3rd keeper in 1990 and the rules were changed for 94 that you needed to have 3 x recognised keepers? I'm sure I read that previously, though could have been just a tale.

It was 22 man squad back then so Ireland only took 2 recognised keepers.

Quinn was listed as the 3rd.

In 94 they said the 3 keepers could only play in goal and could not be selected as an outfield player.... or something along those lines. 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:58pm

What happened?  I barely watch it these days except saw a bit of Orlando City (who would be my favourite team) v New York City the other night

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ it was that game ffs it went to a Peno shoot out and the keeper was sent off and a player stepped in and saved a pen and Orlando won.  It went viral. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 4:05pm

πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ it was that game ffs it went to a Peno shoot out and the keeper was sent off and a player stepped in and saved a pen and Orlando won.  It went viral. 

Was it? I switched it off early on. 

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:34am
Scrolling Facebook this morning and spotted this

AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic