Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Positives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 7:26am
I think if Kenny is still the manager in March we have to go with O'Shea and Egan at the back as Duffy and Long are not cut out to play Kennyball .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I think if Kenny is still the manager in March we have to go with O'Shea and Egan at the back as Duffy and Long are not cut out to play Kennyball .
I'd go a step further and go 3 at the back, with no Duffy or Long.

Coleman Egan O'Shea. 
Doherty and Stevens on either wing then.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:24am
Long is good enough to be a starter for us IMO. Hopefully he can keep his place when Mee and Tarkowski are fully fit.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:41am
The WC qualifier draw is a few weeks away, there is vaccines on the horizon, and we will get to go and support the team again next year.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:53am
Didn't get relegated
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Didn't get relegated

The fear I have we get relegated to group C and everybody thinks it’s a formality we bounce back up but we end up a mid table group C team.

So today after reflection, this is a small positive.

I’m still angry about the subs. Every one should have been made 10-15 mins earlier. 

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 10:25am
The raft of withdrawals meant that a lot of younger players got to get some valuable game time that they may not have otherwise - likes of O'Shea, Knight, Molumby, Idah etc.
Brady's set piece deliveries were decent for the most part.

That's about it really.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 10:55am
We definitely won't be drawn against Denmark or Wales in the next Nations League tournament.

Shane Duffy very likely to win Goal of the Year at the next FAI Awards, place your bets down the bookies now!
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 11:01am
O’Shea looked ok last night. That’s about the only positive I can take from the game. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 11:04am
The Slovakia performance was a big plus and I feel had we scored one of the several good chances (Connolly's steal or Hourihane's sitter) then we'd be in a very different place now.

Losing that took the wind out of our sails and the boat was then torpedoed by Covid and injuries from which we never recovered.
Even with that, we should not have lost twice to Finland in very even games and we had the beating of a very poor Wales side in the home match.

Seems all the gods were out against us and I am hopeful things will swing around in the new year.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 11:48am
Instead of drawing 1-1 with teams (predictably we would go down and score in the 86th minute with a set piece)

We are now drawing 0-0 with teams. 

I do think we are creating chances in games. Duffy missed headers he was scoring before.

Kenny has now seem a lot of players available to him and I would expect he has his first team in mind.

Players promoted to the first team from u21s with oshea, molumby and Knight standing out. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

The raft of withdrawals meant that a lot of younger players got to get some valuable game time that they may not have otherwise - likes of O'Shea, Knight, Molumby, Idah etc.
Brady's set piece deliveries were decent for the most part.

That's about it really.

Consistency-wise, last night was the best they've been in years.

Another positive is I think it's clear Byrne can play at this level, regardless of whether he's a Rovers player or not. Whether he gets another opportunity is another thing, but he deserves one.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 3:11pm
When we pass the ball with a bit of pace and accuracy we look quite good. It's a shame it happens so sporadically though.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Another positive is I think it's clear Byrne can play at this level, regardless of whether he's a Rovers player or not. Whether he gets another opportunity is another thing, but he deserves one.
On the basis of what?

Whipping in a half decent cross from a free position against a pot D team shorn of nine players?

I'd be confident enough of managing that

Need a bit more than that I'm afraid

Kenny clearly thinks he's not up to it as he only threw him in as a last resort after several matches, in a match where we were down the very bare bones

This is one instance where I would trust Kenny's judgement

Daryl Horgan put in some very nice crosses, better crosses, over the last few matches and some people here are lamenting him being even in the squad and saying he's not up to the level

Edited by sid waddell - 19 Nov 2020 at 3:24pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

On the basis of what?

Whipping in a have decent cross from a free position against a pot D team shorn of nine players?

I'd be confident enough of managing that

Need a bit more than that I'm afraid
He was constantly showing for the ball and wanting the ball a lot more than some of the players and was able to move the ball into positions quickly which again contrasted to others.
Yes, he did get caught dwelling on the ball once but also showed he can quickly track back and put in a good tackle to stop the counter. Should have been given a longer run last night as could have made more of difference given longer. 
SeanyL View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 5:12pm
I agree with Sid, Irish fans always have a "if only this fella or that fella was playing" Byrnes reputation seems to be enhanced the more he doesn't play. 
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:11pm
We're playing at the same level as what we were before at the very least, except we now look to keep the ball (albeit not always successfully). 

Per Emmet Malone in the times today: 

"Overall, Ireland had as many attempts on goal per game, on and off the mark, over the course of this campaign as they had in last year’s under Mick McCarthy"

Cliche time: Goals change games. You have to take your chances. 

We haven't, and so everyone thinks it's the end of the world - the good news is, there have been chances. 

In each game we've played (apart from against England maybe..) there has been at least one clear-cut chance made that we would expect to score. I'd argue that the quality of those chances was better than anything we would have made (scored or otherwise) under Mick 2nd time, or even back to under MON or Trap. 

Like the Curtis one the other night - we opened them up by passing, had a good ball played to player running through on his own in the middle of the goals with only the keeper to beat. That's not the kind of chance I'm used to seeing us making - and in future, hopefully our players will start taking them.. is that the kind of chance that a Connolly or a Robinson or a Parrott would take better advantage of? 

So yeah, results were crappy (not like they've been amazing since 2016), but lots to be positive about if you actually like football and want to see the Ireland team develop into a good ball-playing side. 

Roll on the draw and the qualifiers, and let's hope we can get back in the ground and cheering them on! 
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

We're playing at the same level as what we were before at the very least, except we now look to keep the ball (albeit not always successfully). 

Per Emmet Malone in the times today: 

"Overall, Ireland had as many attempts on goal per game, on and off the mark, over the course of this campaign as they had in last year’s under Mick McCarthy"

Cliche time: Goals change games. You have to take your chances. 

We haven't, and so everyone thinks it's the end of the world - the good news is, there have been chances. 

In each game we've played (apart from against England maybe..) there has been at least one clear-cut chance made that we would expect to score. I'd argue that the quality of those chances was better than anything we would have made (scored or otherwise) under Mick 2nd time, or even back to under MON or Trap. 

Like the Curtis one the other night - we opened them up by passing, had a good ball played to player running through on his own in the middle of the goals with only the keeper to beat. That's not the kind of chance I'm used to seeing us making - and in future, hopefully our players will start taking them.. is that the kind of chance that a Connolly or a Robinson or a Parrott would take better advantage of? 

So yeah, results were crappy (not like they've been amazing since 2016), but lots to be positive about if you actually like football and want to see the Ireland team develop into a good ball-playing side. 

Roll on the draw and the qualifiers, and let's hope we can get back in the ground and cheering them on! 

We are a lot more open and look much more vulnerable. Our main attacking potential comes from our full backs but the system negates their attacking threat and exposes their defensive frailties. The high line and lateral passing in our half is high risk low reward strategy.

BIG SAM: “I’ve always regarded losing possession in your own half as a criminal offence.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic