You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why can't the players sing the anthem?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 11:17pm
Singing the anthem or not seems of very little importance. Show some pride on the pitch is enough.

They're footballers not Beyoncé 
Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Pisses me off looking at the players standing there like statues tight lipped during the anthem.
You might expect it off the English born lads in the squad but the likes of McClean, Randolph, Duffy, Young Doherty et al.

Sing the English lyrics of it if you cant speak Irish.

You look at the welsh lads and they belt out their anthem in Welsh.

Bad formThumbs Down
Eh, what has singing go to do with anything? 
You never see Spanish lads singing when their anthem is played and they've done alright down the years. 
Almost like their anthem has no lyrics LOL

You’ve had a nightmare here Borussia LOL
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Pisses me off looking at the players standing there like statues tight lipped during the anthem.
You might expect it off the English born lads in the squad but the likes of McClean, Randolph, Duffy, Young Doherty et al.

Bad formThumbs Down
You never see Spanish lads singing when their anthem is played and they've done alright down the years. 

Technically the Spanish anthem has lyrics they just abandoned them after Franco 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 12:28am
would it help if they hum it?
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 12:34am
Hey, hey, hey, I thought WE were the ones who got wound up about anthems and issued Fatwas on any player who doesn't sing it.

Oh well, that must be something else you've stolen from us (you can keep Shane Duffus, mind).

Anyhow, why don't you get a Celeb to sing it for the Boys?

After her recent brush with racism, Roseanne Barr could probably do with the fee:

Edited by Territorial - 17 Nov 2020 at 12:35am
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 12:58am

Bad formThumbs Down

Amazing how many people haven't gotten the joke. 
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 7:54am

Bad formThumbs Down

It was fairly obvious that Borussia made a joke! 
Anthems are just unnecessary pomp and ceremony, who gives a f**k who sings it or doesn't. What if they don't believe in the words? I know lads who are republic supporting English lads, atheist to, if they got picked would they not care? McGinn, and a few others, did alright for the North without having a sing-song. 

Anyway, they are more likely to sing it before a game that is of some importance. Friendly matches and pointless quasi-competitive games in a now meaningless competition wouldn't inspire Pavarotti!
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 7:58am
Some irony in the fact that Wales and Scotland seem to be very passionate about singing their anthems..
Southstandman View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southstandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 8:14am
Change the anthem to get out ya black and tans !!!. Jack used to get em at it on the way to games in the team bus if the stories are true . By the time the whistle to start the game was blown the lads were just short of tearing the opposition to shreds they"ed be that wound up . Cant be any harm in giving that a lash ,,,,,,,,surely LOL . 
We are Shamrock Rovers we"re Irelands number 1 .
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 8:46am
[QUOTE=Southstandman]Change the anthem to get out ya black and tans !!!. Jack used to get em at it on the way to games in the team bus if the stories are true . By the time the whistle to start the game was blown the lads were just short of tearing the opposition to shreds they"ed be that wound up . Cant be any harm in giving that a lash ,,,,,,,,surely LOL . [/QUOTE

Do we need James McClean any more wound up?
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 8:47am

You would think them all singing it loudly would foster some sort of team spirit and collective defiance.
During the anthem they look like they are about to fall asleep.  Even Kenny doesn't sing it.
Shoddy shoddy shoddy!!

How many more World Cups and Euro's would we have qualified for by singing the anthem LOL
It would damage this forums' reputation
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Some irony in the fact that Wales and Scotland seem to be very passionate about singing their anthems..

Aha we have now stumbled upon football's biggest conundrum, how not to be sh*t anymore. The mighty Scotsmen of highlandry qualify for a 50% chance of qualification tournament, it can only be the singing of the anthem. Lets not look beyond the past 20 years of failure though. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 9:18am

Bad formThumbs Down

Can't beat a bit of fishing of a Monday night - Didn't expect to catch more than one in fairness so three is a record catch!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

This has pissed me off for years. Surely the manager can tell them to learn the anthem, all the oversees players learn both songs for the rugger ball.  The same goes for the Englishborn playing for Wales, all 11 sing it. Show a bit of pride in playing for Ireland 

Too right - Our forefathers did not fight for our freedom so that players could stand there and decide of their own free will whether they will sing or not. Disgraceful!!
Fatnacho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatnacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 10:09am
I think it’s a disgrace that our players don’t bless themselves anymore when they walk on the pitch. Maybe that’s why we can’t score goals. The South Americans always bless themselves and always cry singing their national anthems. Maybe it gives them a competitive advantage along with their superior technique.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 10:46am
I dont think our anthem is the best from a musical perspective.  If I was to compare it to ther other 6 nations in rugby, then id say it is 5th in the list ahead of only god save the queen. I like the Welsh the best. 
That said, i do think it would help if the players sang it with a bit more passion in terms of getting up for the fight, or showing the opposition your passion. 

Think to the Ireland vs England Rugby match in Croke Park and the passion players and the fans had that day, I dont think there was any way we we going to be beaten 

Edited by t_rAndy - 17 Nov 2020 at 10:48am
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 11:22am

Bad formThumbs Down

Can't beat a bit of fishing of a Monday night - Didn't expect to catch more than one in fairness so three is a record catch!

Ha, good work.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I dont think our anthem is the best from a musical perspective.  If I was to compare it to ther other 6 nations in rugby, then id say it is 5th in the list ahead of only god save the queen. I like the Welsh the best. 
That said, i do think it would help if the players sang it with a bit more passion in terms of getting up for the fight, or showing the opposition your passion. 

Think to the Ireland vs England Rugby match in Croke Park and the passion players and the fans had that day, I dont think there was any way we we going to be beaten 

It should be sang at a quicker tempo than it's played by the band.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic