25 [52.08%]
1 [2.08%]
0 [0.00%]
15 [31.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

In 2nd place - 1-1 v Denmark at home in qualifier for USA 94. Without that draw we were toast and the game in Belfast would have been meaningless. In first p!ace, the 1-1 with the Dutch in Palermo. Without that there would have been no Walkinstown Roundabout and the nation wouldn't have held its breath. Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole..

Or all the drink hidden on Mondeo beach in Palermo when the drinks ban was on.. although there were plenty of Irish fans drunk at that game who hadn't a clue what the score wasWink.

FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
Sponsored Links

irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 12:51am
Noel Hunts finish in Bari was great too. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 12:51am
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

In 2nd place - 1-1 v Denmark at home in qualifier for USA 94. Without that draw we were toast and the game in Belfast would have been meaningless. In first p!ace, the 1-1 with the Dutch in Palermo. Without that there would have been no Walkinstown Roundabout and the nation wouldn't have held its breath. Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole..

Or all the drink hidden on Mondeo beach in Palermo when the drinks ban was on.. although there were plenty of Irish fans drunk at that game who hadn't a clue what the score wasWink.

30 years ago all the same. At least we were there...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Yoco Santos View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoco Santos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 8:10am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Performance wise I reckon it's between Russia in '88
That was a 1-1 defeat.
An anihilation actually.

Did you not read the criteria above man ?

Won a game we should have drawn
Drew a game we should have lost
Lost a game we should have won

1-1 defeats:
USSR 1988
Naurrthn Ahhhlund 1995
Belgium 1997
Macedonia 1999
Turkey 1999
Portugal 2001
Russia 2003
Switzerland 2004
Israel 2005
Sweden 2016

0-0 defeats:
Egypt 1990
Poland 1991
Iceland 1996
Lithuania 1997
Wales 2017

2-2 defeats:
Israel 2005
Slovakia 2007
Austria 2013

3-3 defeats:
Poland 1991

Actual draws:
Bulgaria 2009
Bulgaria 2009
Slovakia 2010
Slovakia 2011

Defeats which were actually victories
Spain 1993 home
Portugal 1995 away
Romania 1997 away
Iran 2001 away
France 2016 

0-0 defeats:

Liechtenstein 1995
Switzerland 2005
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:48am
I still get upset about that 2-2 against Israel. Angriest I have ever been leaving a football match and I had Ian Harte to score first and all! Duda was an absolute ****!
There should be a ban for mentioning that game on here!
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:11am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I still get upset about that 2-2 against Israel. Angriest I have ever been leaving a football match and I had Ian Harte to score first and all! Duda was an absolute ****!

In the few years I have been a YBIG poster I've seen Duda's name crop up a few times on here in a villainous context. Can someone explain to this outsider what exactly it was he did to you guys ?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:22am
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

In the few years I have been a YBIG poster I've seen Duda's name crop up a few times on here in a villainous context. Can someone explain to this outsider what exactly it was he did to you guys ?
I would love to be able to explain it with words, but I can't! It was time-wasting and cheating that's beyond explaining! I'll go to his funeral!
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:23am

He engaged in a frankly farcical amount of play-acting, time-wasting and general c**tishness in a highly frustrating game in which we were 2-0 up at home to Israel and ended up drawing 2-2. Similar to PM I'm pretty certain that's the most wound up I've ever been after an Ireland game.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:23am

I think he was a bit of a pantomime villain, in what was one of Ireland's most notable failures in an international match.

In June 2005 we were well primed to attend the following year's World Cup in Germany, although we had suffered a momentary lapse of concentration in Israel a few months previously, which resulted in us drawing a game we should have won. In the return game, Ireland were 2-0 up and coasting, only for Robbie Keane to get injured, and management to decide to take him off for Graham Kavanagh and set up as a 4-5-1. Israel equalised before half time, and what resulted was an Irish onslaught in the second half, which Duda repelled consistently.

It would have just been annoying, only for the fact that with a few minutes left he struck Andy O'Brien, on the ground, and as O'Brien turned around Duda put his hands to his face as though he was hit by O'Brien. Duda should have been red carded, but instead he stayed down clutching his face, and O'Brien was sent for an early bath. Duda then was on the pitch long enough to make a rather impossible save to keep the game at 2-2.

We failed that night, but Duda's actions were unacceptable and he probably shouldn't have been on the pitch to make the final save.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:26am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

The result that is most beloved of Irish football is the 1-1 victory

It is the result that is most in keeping with our national character

A classic 1-1 victory plays out as follows:

We are playing a big away qualifier or a finals match

We go behind early on and look outclassed, but somehow don't fall further behind

The longer the game goes on, the more the traditional Irish fighting spirit comes to the fore

And then, at some point in the last 20 minutes, a bolt from the blue, an equaliser arrives

Such a match is typically accompanied by a memorable facial expression pulled by a player or the manager - which will be later immortalised in an RTE montage - or a memorable commentary line

It is typically symbolised by an Irish lionheart, a Mick McCarthy, a Kevin Moran, a Paul McGrath, a Steve Staunton, a Richard Dunne, a John O'Shea, a Shane Duffy

The one constant in all Ireland's great 1-1 victories is Mr. George Hamilton

We celebrate as if we have won, which we have

On this poll I am restricted to eight choices

But this does not do justice to the depth of this genre

I've had to leave out so many classic 1-1 victories 

Left on the shelf are:
England 1990 at Lansdowne Road
Denmark 1993
The night in Belfast when Alan McLoughlin scored 
Cameroon 2002
Poland 2015
Bosnia 2015
Austria 2017
Denmark 2019
Switzerland 2019

The Czech Republic at Lansdowne Road in 2006, the last game I ever attended at the famous old stadium, was a 1-1 victory, even though we briefly led, amid one of the most raucous atmospheres at the stadium in modern times

And then there's Paris 2009, the ultimate 1-1 defeat, but smothered in moral victory, it is in a category all of its own

Then there are the lesser spotted 0-0 and 2-2 victories

0-0 victories were:
Denmark 1992
Spain 1992
Norway 1994
France 2004
Russia 2011
Sweden 2013
Denmark 2017

Belgium away in 1986 is the classic 2-2 victory
Holland 2000 deviates from the script a bit in that we led 2-0 but was celebrated like a victory
Italy 2009 at Croke Park was a sort of 2-2 victory

Vote early for your favourite 1-1 victory, vote often

It's definitely our favourite result but most of those one all's in the poll don't fit your definition though. 

England 1990 - Scrappy game but never really looked like falling further behind and deserved to be level when we equalised. 

England 1991 - Utterly dominated the game, only fell behind to a deflection and should have won by a couple really. 

v Germany 2002 - Never looked like falling further behind and were only still behind in stoppage time because Kahn was inspired in their goal. 

v Spain 2002 - Similar to Germany game, better side, missed a pen and a open goal from the rebound, kept the pressure on to equalise late and dominated extra time after drawing level. 

v Italy 2009 - Dominated after they went down to ten men and should have been level before we finally scored. 

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I think he was a bit of a pantomime villain, in what was one of Ireland's most notable failures in an international match.

In June 2005 we were well primed to attend the following year's World Cup in Germany, although we had suffered a momentary lapse of concentration in Israel a few months previously, which resulted in us drawing a game we should have won. In the return game, Ireland were 2-0 up and coasting, only for Robbie Keane to get injured, and management to decide to take him off for Graham Kavanagh and set up as a 4-5-1. Israel equalised before half time, and what resulted was an Irish onslaught in the second half, which Duda repelled consistently.

It would have just been annoying, only for the fact that with a few minutes left he struck Andy O'Brien, on the ground, and as O'Brien turned around Duda put his hands to his face as though he was hit by O'Brien. Duda should have been red carded, but instead he stayed down clutching his face, and O'Brien was sent for an early bath. Duda then was on the pitch long enough to make a rather impossible save to keep the game at 2-2.

We failed that night, but Duda's actions were unacceptable and he probably shouldn't have been on the pitch to make the final save.
Regardless, he was an absolute ****. That behaviour was, and is, unacceptable on a football pitch. 
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:37am
Thanks for that PM, Devrorex and Het-field. He sounds like he was a right ****. 

Did he not get any retrospective disciplinary action taken against him by UEFA ?

Just looked him up there, he looks a bit like Nacho Novo so I don't like him either.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:41am

Regardless, he was an absolute ****. That behaviour was, and is, unacceptable on a football pitch. 

Oh yeah, absolutely.

I was just giving the full context of the game. And I agree that it was probably a game and outcome that boiled my blood a little more than most.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Oh yeah, absolutely.

I was just giving the full context of the game. And I agree that it was probably a game and outcome that boiled my blood a little more than most.
Yeah, that's fine too! But I can’t help but feel aggrieved about what he did ET says he looked like Nacho Novo too, he was designed for me to hate!
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:49am
I voted for the Dutch game in 1990 as it sent us through to the next round.  There was a plane on the tarmac at Palermo airport ready to take the squad home that night.  

The 2002 Germany game was a first major tournament for many and the draw was crucial.  There was still work to be done and Cameroon only winning 1-0 the following day was also very important.  Loads of Irish at that of course roaring on the Saudis.  

One game that gets forgotten but meant a lot at the time was the 1-1 draw in Paris in 1973.  It was at the time the biggest travelling support we ever brought to continental Europe.  Mick Martin scored a late equaliser after we fell behind late on.  Qualification hopes for West Germany actually ended that night   but it was a sign that things were improving.  It was before my time but I spoke with fans who were there and it was a significant result at the time along with the home win the previous November.  We came really close to qualifying in the next two campaigns under Johnny Giles   

The biggest 1-1 defeat was of course in Skopje in 1999.  It remains the worst moment I've experience following the national team.  Seconds away for qualifying against a depleted Macedonian side.  
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:51am
I hate to break it to you folks but his name was actually Dudu not Duda.

Hendricks, Hoolihan and McLean would be spinning in their collective grave.

Edited by seanyshuffler - 22 Oct 2020 at 11:51am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:52am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

I hate to break it to you folks but his name was actually Dudu not Duda.

Hendricks, Hoolihan and McLean would be spinning in their collective grave.
The **** deserves to have his name wrong! The others are ****s we care about!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 11:58am

Yeah, that's fine too! But I can’t help but feel aggrieved about what he did ET says he looked like Nacho Novo too, he was designed for me to hate!

I also think the extent of the dislike for him is exemplified by the fact that the vast majority of Pot 3-Pot 6 goalkeepers are almost totally nameless, and almost irrelevant individuals. When you think about it, I wouldn't be able to pick the Finnish, Bulgarian, and Slovakian keeper in a line-up, let alone goalkeepers from Cyprus, the Faroe Islands etc from 2005. However, Dudu name and face are branded on our collective brains.

His behaviour that night though was the absolute pits.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic