You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is generation woke?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is generation woke?
    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 11:18pm
Heard Piers Morgan pushing his new book but was interested in some of the things he said about being liberal and woke liberal?

What kind of topics are up for debate and what aren't? 
What topics are up debate and what aren't due to liberal online consenus?

I know the difference between debate and hate speech etc but it seems like some people mix the two up. 

So can people have a different view without coming across as right wing/bigot/woke/etc?

Edited by seanyshuffler - 16 Oct 2020 at 11:19pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Heard Piers Morgan pushing his new book but was interested in some of the things he said about being liberal and woke liberal?

I know the difference between debate and hate speech etc but it seems like some people mix the two up. 

So can people have a different view without coming across as right wing/bigot/woke/etc?

A question/point I’ve been making on here for a while now, when I’ve been bleating on about Matt Le Tissier as an example 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 12:31am
It's a buzz phrase for those who push bad faith or idiotic right-wing views and cannot defend them in good faith debate, and so construct a fantasy world of make believe to pretend they are "oppressed" - while "oppressed" right-wingers have an overwhelming advantage in terms of media and money

Piers Morgan is a **** who shouts the most simplistic populist, mainly right-wing view points purely to benefit his own career

He's a demagogic grifter of the worst order

What he said on the Late Late Show was a carte blanche for Holocaust deniers to be given an equal platform to everybody else

And indeed the Late Late Show has quite recently platformed a person who proposed a "final solution"

Morgan and his ilk are a large part of the reason why Britain, the US and many other places are so completely and utterly f**ked

Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 12:39am
Woke is a silly American word. It doesn't even sound like a proper word.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

A question/point I’ve been making on here for a while now, when I’ve been bleating on about Matt Le Tissier as an example 

Why doesn't Le Tissier subject himself to scrutiny over his idiotic views?

A load of media outlets would only love for him to do so

He used his platform to willingly enter public discussion about Covid and used it to promote idiotic views and a far right demonstration

The reason he doesn't subject himself to scrutiny is that he has zero substance and zero logic or reason to his views and knows full well he would be made an utter fool of by anybody who knows what they are talking about

But sure it's far easier to pretend you're "oppressed"

What right-wing politics wants is the right to spout hate speech, lies and propaganda unchallenged

And these are the same people who complain about "echo chambers" and "safe spaces" LOL

This fantasy world of pretend victimhood is literally the only strategy right-wing politics anywhere now has to promote itself, given that it has so manifestly failed

Unfortunately they have an incredible amount of money and power to implement their Orwellian strategy 

seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 1:08am
I get your general point Sid but what I'm trying to get at,say I'm against same sex marriage, abortion and I explain my reasons should I be shouted down or cancelled? 

Similar to covid strategies. 

So where does an opinion and general debate stop and dangerous view start?

My political view is left to centre. I believe in a government who should redistribute wealth and also  favour socially liberal views but I struggle with everyone spitting venom at eachother.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 1:16am
very common esp amongst right wing conservative people is the statement “am I not allowed to have an opinion nowadays”.  When they are challenged on their usually lazy casual racism or ignorant commentary on some social topic.  

The idea they have is that debate is a challenge to their free speech.  😀😀😀
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 1:24am
'Woke' is the new 'PC': only the people against it know what it means.LOL

All 'woke' means is being aware of social injustice, particularly racism. I am happy to be 'woke', but it changes nothing and debating about linguistics, as important as it is long-term, changes f**k all.

Piers Morgan was a **** yesterday. I think he will be one tomorrow and will possibly be one forever. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 1:43am

I get your general point Sid but what I'm trying to get at,say I'm against same sex marriage, abortion and I explain my reasons should I be shouted down or cancelled? 

Similar to covid strategies. 

So where does an opinion and general debate stop and dangerous view start?

My political view is left to centre. I believe in a government who should redistribute wealth and also  favour socially liberal views but I struggle with everyone spitting venom at eachother.
Free speech has never been freer than it is now, unfortunately propaganda has never been stronger than it is now, and unlike in the past when censorship by silencing was the modus operandi, censorship by lies and noise and endless creation of confusion and fantasy is the overwhelming modus operandi of the right - for now - until it's not, as is the case in Russia, where silencing by intimidation, imprisonment on trumped up charges, and murder is the modus operandi

We had referendums on same sex marriage and abortion in recent years and they both passed by large margins

The reason they passed is because those on the losing side could not articulate their arguments very well without coming across as bigots and bullies in a referendum where information was thankfully reasonably well regulated

People are more than entitled to be anti-abortion on a personal basis but if they favour banning abortion, which again is their right to believe in and publicly argue for, they should have no problems when confronted with the logical consequences of that stance 

To me, the pro-8th Amendment people refused utterly to confront the logical consequences of their position and most people saw right through this

I honestly can't think of a single reason why anybody would be against allowing same sex marriage

People who write on the internet from a left viewpoint tend to genuinely believe what they're saying

What we see as justice is not a hobby to be taken or left aside, broad left viewpoints tend to be well thought through and consider context and nuance, and hold facts, reason and science in high regard

I don't believe that's the case at all on the right, internationally those who identify as being on the right largely reject that in favour of feelings and fake victimhoood - the proof is in the pudding - what we are seeing now internationally is the logical outcome of decades of that

My view is that if you are against abortion and same sex marriage being legal you do not have socially liberal views, you have very socially regressive views

A common trick on the internet is for people to claim they are liberal while espousing regressive views, very few self-identify as having regressive views

Another common trick for those on the right is to claim they are being silenced

This is self evidently ludicrous, the right has the overwhelming advantage in media messaging

The line between what is legitimate debate and what is not should be obvious, but too many people have a vested interest in blurring it or ignoring it

If Donald Trump posted here or posted on any reasonably moderated forum on the internet he would be banned like a shot, and rightly so

Yet tragically, because of his popularity, supporters of his are allowed free rein to spout their thinly veiled venom and troll all over the internet, because Trump's positions are now seen as legitimate because of his power

And it is impossible to debate with a Trump supporter, because to be a Trump supporter requires buying into a fantasy world of feelings-driven fake victimhood - and people with any sort of conscience get rightly angry at these views because they correctly see that they are the same sorts of views that led to the Holocaust

Edited by sid waddell - 17 Oct 2020 at 1:46am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 1:55am
The most Kafkaesque silencing we've had recently is that of Jeremy Corbyn in Britain when he and the Labour party he led were mendaciously pained as irredeemably anti-Semitic

It was a lie - which is not to say that there was no anti-Semitism in Labour - because of course there was, there is anti-Semitism in all parties and in all walks of life - but the Tory party had a demonstrably bigger problem with racism, including flagrant anti-Semitism from high profile figures like Rees Mogg and Gove, and racism and homophobia from Boris Johnson - which was barely commented on by a right wing media bullsh*t machine drunk on their own power

The reason this narrative was allowed to spread was to an extent because Labour were like rabbits in the headlights in the face of it, but overwhelmingly because of a right-wing media smear campaign

And it was because Corbyn threatened oligarchy and was sympathetic to the cause of Palestinian freedom

That is the silencing of dissent in action

That silencing did not come from the left, it came from the right

And that is where the threat to considered free speech overwhelmingly comes from

Edited by sid waddell - 17 Oct 2020 at 1:56am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 2:00am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

'Woke' is the new 'PC': only the people against it know what it means.LOL

All 'woke' means is being aware of social injustice, particularly racism. I am happy to be 'woke', but it changes nothing and debating about linguistics, as important as it is long-term, changes f**k all.

Piers Morgan was a **** yesterday. I think he will be one tomorrow and will possibly be one forever. 
Funnily enough many of the same sort of people who ridicule the concept of "woke" (which is obviously and overwhelmingly positive thing), often tend to subscribe to a thinly veiled racist, anti-Semitic idea called "the Great Awakening", which is basically Nazism repackaged

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 3:45am
Few people will actually wear the term with pride.

It probably has very negative connotations as far as most people are concerned. It was originally a term used amongst black people in the States, but is now is heavily associated with smug, white, privileged, middle-class bourgeois twats who only pay lip-service to social issues for appearances' sake without in any way actually properly understanding them, trying to understand them, nor really giving a genuine f**k about anyone or anything but themselves.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 17 Oct 2020 at 3:51am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:04am
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

It probably has very negative connotations as far as most people are concerned. It was originally a term used amongst black people in the States, but is now is heavily associated with smug, white, privileged, middle-class bourgeois twats who only pay lip-service to social issues for appearances' sake without in any way actually properly understanding them, trying to understand them, nor really giving a genuine f**k about anyone or anything but themselves.
It has negative connotations because it is mostly used pejoratively. When was the last time somebody used the term and they weren't being a ****? I mostly associate the term with people who are racist but haven't the decency to admit it openly, instead they are 'anti-woke'. It is effectively the same thing. It just means 'anti-racist', except for ****s.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:42am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It has negative connotations because it is mostly used pejoratively. When was the last time somebody used the term and they weren't being a ****? I mostly associate the term with people who are racist but haven't the decency to admit it openly, instead they are 'anti-woke'. It is effectively the same thing. It just means 'anti-racist', except for ****s.
This. Literally the only people I’ve seen use the term are right wing bellends with a Union Jack or American flag in their twitter bio. 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 9:43am
Intersting replies folks. Yeah, i don't think I've heard it referenced on Irish media before. 

As PM mentioned maybe it's the same as PC gone mad school of thought.

Edited by seanyshuffler - 17 Oct 2020 at 10:20am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 10:16am
I can't stand all these new buzzwords that Americasn and indeed the internet have invented.

Edited by Trap junior - 17 Oct 2020 at 10:18am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 10:40am

A lot of projection there

Its almost like you're not what you claim to be, and are in fact a troll LOL

You remind me of this

https://twitter.com/whysimonewhy/status/1143280089133699072

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I can't stand all these new buzzwords that Americasn and indeed the internet have invented.
This one is just a thinly-veiled cloak for racists to make their racism and ignorance acceptable to themselves.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic