You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

England Friendly - Nov 12th Wembley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 67>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 6:40pm
A scrappy 1-0 victory might be the kick-start the Kenny era needs
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

Ebeneezer Goode View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebeneezer Goode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Poppies everywhere I suppose.

Why do people even care? Poppies as a symbol of remembrance comes from the USA.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

A scrappy 1-0 victory might be the kick-start the Kenny era needs

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 7:04pm
I cant say I am surprised, horrendous decision
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 7:42pm
 I know they beat Belgium recently but they also lost at home to Denmark and struggled against Iceland.

Hugely talented squad but they are no Finland!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 8:12pm
If this game was penciled in for a years time or spring no problem.  But we are just getting a new manager in who is totally changing the way we are playing and at the moment we are quite fragile and needing confidence and desperately trying to cling onto our seeding for the WC draw.  Kenny needs a win soon and a tanking by England if it occurs will damage his respect withing the camp and reputation among the public and media from which it wall be a massive uphill task to ever recover from. 

What we need is a low pressure easy game to get a win under our belts and tinker with players and the system then gradually bring on the big boys.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

SK is quite happy with it from my reading of it. He didn't seem to fancy being forced to Sarajevo for a friendly when the two NL games are in Cardiff and Dublin. 
much better than all the travel related to going to Bosnia and risking players missing wales and Bulgaria with Covid.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Will be good to see how Kenny will set the side up for this one .

This is a very good side we will be playing and will our set up change .

I didn't to play them but now we are lets hope we can put on a show .

How do we put on a show murph.  Let’s be honest if we win you will
Think we have put on a show and if you lose you will think it’s crap.  You don’t actually care about the show.  At least be honest 

1/ I would hate to see us get flogged
2/ Playing it around the back and we will be in big trouble .
3/ The pace of the England front line is there for all to see .
4/ What will Kenny do , how will he set up the team .
5/ I fecking hate England .

You didn’t answer the question.  What is Ireland putting on a show.  You mean getting a win or draw. 

I talk about results and getting them so do you really need to ask 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 9:21pm

Will be good to see how Kenny will set the side up for this one .

This is a very good side we will be playing and will our set up change .

I didn't to play them but now we are lets hope we can put on a show .

How do we put on a show murph.  Let’s be honest if we win you will
Think we have put on a show and if you lose you will think it’s crap.  You don’t actually care about the show.  At least be honest 

1/ I would hate to see us get flogged
2/ Playing it around the back and we will be in big trouble .
3/ The pace of the England front line is there for all to see .
4/ What will Kenny do , how will he set up the team .
5/ I fecking hate England .

You didn’t answer the question.  What is Ireland putting on a show.  You mean getting a win or draw. 

I talk about results and getting them so do you really need to ask 

So why mention putting on a show.  You dont believe that.   If we are rubbish and win the game through and own goal you will be delighted.   Is that a show ?

AKA pedantic kunt
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Poppies everywhere I suppose.
We should wear Popeyes on our jerseys

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 10:14pm
Let's face it, we could put out three or four teams to beat England. Most of their better players are Ireland rejects like Rice, Grealish, Keane, Kane, etc and some of our fringe players like Josh Cullen and Scott Hogan would be straight into their first XI if they were English.
essharte View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essharte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

SK is quite happy with it from my reading of it. He didn't seem to fancy being forced to Sarajevo for a friendly when the two NL games are in Cardiff and Dublin. 
much better than all the travel related to going to Bosnia and risking players missing wales and Bulgaria with Covid.

There was nothing stopping them having a home game against Oman.

The idea that going away to Bosnia was the only other option is ridiculous. They choose England for the money at expense of the ranking points.
Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 12:09am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

If this game was penciled in for a years time or spring no problem.  But we are just getting a new manager in who is totally changing the way we are playing and at the moment we are quite fragile and needing confidence and desperately trying to cling onto our seeding for the WC draw.  Kenny needs a win soon and a tanking by England if it occurs will damage his respect withing the camp and reputation among the public and media from which it wall be a massive uphill task to ever recover from. 

What we need is a low pressure easy game to get a win under our belts and tinker with players and the system then gradually bring on the big boys.

Totally agree. 
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 12:30am
If Hart returns in goal, just win a couple of free kicks on the edge of the box and put your best man to work on them Wink
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 12:36am
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

If Hart returns in goal, just win a couple of free kicks on the edge of the box and put your best man to work on them Wink
Alas, we have several Stuart Armstrong's of our own. It was good for those few minutes though...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 2:37am
Originally posted by Green Man Green Man wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Totally agree. 

Were Oman busy? 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The FAI needed the money so they were never going to turn it down. Have they ever chosen friendlies to better our rankings tho? 

I doubt England will play their strongest team but they will still have enough to beat us. Hopefully we can put in a good performance. The players should be really up for it.

Let’s be honest, even if we were in pot2 our chances were slim. Pot3 means we need a Hail Mary. 

What money will they get for this? No fans means not much cash available for an appearance fee. 

TV rights are king and have been for a long time.
Broadcasters will pay for the rights to show this match and part of that revenue will go to the teams.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 8:26am

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

The FAI needed the money so they were never going to turn it down. Have they ever chosen friendlies to better our rankings tho? 

I doubt England will play their strongest team but they will still have enough to beat us. Hopefully we can put in a good performance. The players should be really up for it.

Let’s be honest, even if we were in pot2 our chances were slim. Pot3 means we need a Hail Mary. 

What money will they get for this? No fans means not much cash available for an appearance fee. 

TV rights are king and have been for a long time.
Broadcasters will pay for the rights to show this match and part of that revenue will go to the teams.

We’rr already past of a centralised UEFA TV deal. TV companies aren’t going to fork out extra for a match they already have the rights to.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 67>
  Share Topic