You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

England Friendly - Nov 12th Wembley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 67>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by EdisonCavani EdisonCavani wrote:

We need to win a match. Bosnia over England at the moment unfortunately. We have no chance against England or any of the teams in tier 1 of the Nations League at the moment. Take on someone at our level and try and win. 
We need to play someone below our level....a league C team  perhaps. Incidentally does anyone think someone in the FAI is actually aware  how this thing works and playing England would be a disaster?
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by essharte essharte wrote:

All week people have been talking about getting seeding for the world cup. 
But now you want to lose to England? Are you mad? Losing to England unnecessarily could ruin our chances.

After tonights results we are the 20th UEFA ranked team. 
We are just hanging on 2nd seeds despite losing.

Losing to England in a friendly next game would cost us 3.16 points.
It's way too tight for that.

How much would we gain from a draw though 
Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 11:10pm
When you look at that post about WC seeding this would be even worse.  f**k the travel, getting humiliated by England would be an absolute disaster.  
essharte View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essharte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by essharte essharte wrote:

All week people have been talking about getting seeding for the world cup. 
But now you want to lose to England? Are you mad? Losing to England unnecessarily could ruin our chances.

After tonights results we are the 20th UEFA ranked team. 
We are just hanging on 2nd seeds despite losing.

Losing to England in a friendly next game would cost us 3.16 points.
It's way too tight for that.

How much would we gain from a draw though 

A win is +6.84, draw is +1.84, loss is -3.16

If we play Bosnia instead
A win is +4.58, draw is +0.42, loss is -5.42

Since the rankings don't factor in whether the game is home or away, we should just arrange a winnable game with anyone at home. A win against Oman would be +3.47
EdisonCavani View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdisonCavani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Originally posted by EdisonCavani EdisonCavani wrote:

We need to win a match. Bosnia over England at the moment unfortunately. We have no chance against England or any of the teams in tier 1 of the Nations League at the moment. Take on someone at our level and try and win. 
We need to play someone below our level....a league C team  perhaps. Incidentally does anyone think someone in the FAI is actually aware  how this thing works and playing England would be a disaster?
I’m sure they do but if there was more money on offer from UEFA from the TV pot for a match against England rather than one against Bosnia we all know what they will do. 
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:07am
When you are in a sticky spot never play stronger nations in friendly matches..

A couple of years ago the SFA thought it would be clever to play Belgium and Portugal when we were going through indifferent form. We got hammered in both games and it hurt our rankings. We were stupid to play those games.

Anyhow, if you do play England I would love it, just love it, if YBIG did manage to sneak a 1-0 win Thumbs Up
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 4:59pm
I really hope the FAI have some idea about the rankings and don't arrange a friendly against England, or anybody half decent for that matter.

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 6:40pm
They’d have to..... surely?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 6:48pm
Even without fans I’m assuming this would be a good move financially.... therefore I can’t see the FAI turning it down if offered.

In reality we need to be playing a team we can beat who have a decent ranking.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Getting beat out the door by Grelish, Rice and the chaps is a fitting way to end 2020

Relish, rice and chops

Homer Simpson Drool GIFs | Tenor

I just have to say, I think you're great.
garretjoseph View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garretjoseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 7:23pm
I have no issue with this. 

Play them. We might not win but we’re not getting hammered 5-0/6-0 by these jokers. I’m not afraid of them and I would say that our lads would relish this match against England. It’s what we need IMO. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 7:27pm
Nobody relishes an international friendly against anybody, except the criminally insane. 
Pgc1916 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgc1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 9:09pm
English papers are saying the FA are trying to get Australia to step in for New Zealand 

Edited by Pgc1916 - 15 Oct 2020 at 9:10pm
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 9:35pm
Kerr was the only Irish Manager of recent years who took this into account. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 9:51pm
Lads, this is all just speculation, there's no plans being made or discussed at the moment. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Cymro View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cymro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

When you are in a sticky spot never play stronger nations in friendly matches..

A couple of years ago the SFA thought it would be clever to play Belgium and Portugal when we were going through indifferent form. We got hammered in both games and it hurt our rankings. We were stupid to play those games.

Anyhow, if you do play England I would love it, just love it, if YBIG did manage to sneak a 1-0 win Thumbs Up

Scotland should play England, that'll sort out that unbeaten record, ask Giggs LOL
Englishborn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by garretjoseph garretjoseph wrote:

I have no issue with this. 

Play them. We might not win but we’re not getting hammered 5-0/6-0 by these jokers. I’m not afraid of them and I would say that our lads would relish this match against England. It’s what we need IMO. 
You don't think England could hammer you? We've slaughtered teams on your level such as Czech Republic Bulgaria Montenegro.  If it was at Wembley it would probably be a 4 or 5-0 scoreline 
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 12:26pm
When did England last beat Ireland never mind hammer them??
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 67>
  Share Topic