You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FINLAND VS IRELAND

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 11:55am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Have we ever had a period as fans where there aren't some cohort just moaning all the f**king time no matter what is happening on or off the pitch. Christ the night

I'm convinced some folks can't remember what happened last week never mind what was happening under Mick or MON. "This won't work", well the other way wasn't f**king working either. I've actually enjoyed the last three games apart from the results, it's nice to get excited as your players play a few simple one-twos to create some space and get a shot off now and again instead of just hoofing things and hoping we win a freekick or corner. I think there's been an obvious improvement especially from the first Finland game which was very poor.

Give Kenny the WC qualifying campaign and let's see how we go. No doubt there is an army who says we "can't afford to lose a qualifying campaign" or some other nonsense, well f**king news flash we already lost the first Nations League and the Euro 2020 qualifying campaign because of our last two managers so I'm willing to give this fella a go with the youngsters.

Knight was only on briefly but I liked the look of him

This is post of the month for me. A much needed dose of reality well delivered.
ClapClapClap
Some people just deserve a slap
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:03pm
Not sure how true this is as I'm only pulling from a comment from the42 but would be amazing it true 

nations league games pass completion percentages so far top 5

Spain 90%
Ireland 88%
Belgium 88%
Germany 87%
Portugal 87%

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

@LiamGreen, you wrote

"Also people on here who think Burnley are an exclusively long ball are not correct . I’ve seen an awful lot of their games and they do pass the ball a lot when it’s possible"

Which has is nothing more than fabricated nonsense on your part and the stats below tell their own story, Burnley play one way and one way only = Direct

Possession Stats

20/21 Season - Burnley 15th
19/20 Season - Burnley 19th
18/19 Season - Burnley 18th
17/18 Season - Burnley 16th
16/17 Season - Burnley 19th

Passing Stats

20/21 Season - Burnley 19th
19/20 Season - Burnley 20th
18/19 Season - Burnley 19th
17/18 Season - Burnley 20th
16/17 Season - Burnley 20th

I’m not f**king stupid... I’ve seen them pass the ball and mix with the long ball you tool. They are not a tippy tappy team but they pass the ball and mix it up

Dont agure with GD as he has his UEFA badges Shocked

But yes Liam you are right in what you say they do mix it up and play the channels .

Its now approaching Day 3  of your obsession with me, merely because I pulled you up on your weird ramblings. In that time we've seen you start a thread to get a dig at me, on a number of occasions brought up my coaching qualifications and even bring up my username when I'm not debating with you?

Let it go old man.....

Ahhhh come on Muskie don't get upset .Hug
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Not sure how true this is as I'm only pulling from a comment from the42 but would be amazing it true 

Spain 90%
Ireland 88%
Belgium 88%
Germany 87%
Portugal 87%

LF is there anyway you can find out what are the percentages in the final 3rd of the pitch ?
Sometimes stats can be misleading .
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:16pm

Spain 90%
Ireland 88%
Belgium 88%
Germany 87%
Portugal 87%

LF is there anyway you can find out what are the percentages in the final 3rd of the pitch ?

Thats a fair point of course Murph and I wouldn't imagine it to be very high.

The percentages don't really tell us much and should be taken with a pinch of salt but none the less interesting.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:18pm

Spain 90%
Ireland 88%
Belgium 88%
Germany 87%
Portugal 87%

Thats a fair point of course Murph and I wouldn't imagine it to be very high.

The percentages don't really tell us much and should be taken with a pinch of salt but none the less interesting.

A Centre back knocking the ball back to his keeper - Completed pass.
A Centre back under no pressure passing across to the other centre back - Completed pass.

On their own, this statistic tells us nothing. 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:37pm
Noel King sprouting utter sh*te again.

Why on earth did the St*r give that **** a column?

Edited by Maccatacca - 15 Oct 2020 at 12:37pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Sounds painful.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

anyone know how the fans who were at the match would have sourced tickets? I seen on the FAI Facebook page one of the lads commented saying out of the 4, 3 travelled from Ireland and one lives in Denmark. Said they paid €200 for a COVID test. 

They will have to quarantine when they go home yeah?
Ballybrack hardly get special treatment from the Fai? No surely that wouldn’t happen at all no all by the book I’m sure. 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

The things ex players/ management do/say to keep relevant is shocking. He’s a clear agenda King does and at least everyone sees him for what he is, an absolute joke of a manager when he had the u21s and bitter Kenny done more than him in half a campaign than he done in 8 or however many years it was.
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:56pm

Have we ever had a period as fans where there aren't some cohort just moaning all the f**king time no matter what is happening on or off the pitch. Christ the night

I'm convinced some folks can't remember what happened last week never mind what was happening under Mick or MON. "This won't work", well the other way wasn't f**king working either. I've actually enjoyed the last three games apart from the results, it's nice to get excited as your players play a few simple one-twos to create some space and get a shot off now and again instead of just hoofing things and hoping we win a freekick or corner. I think there's been an obvious improvement especially from the first Finland game which was very poor.

Give Kenny the WC qualifying campaign and let's see how we go. No doubt there is an army who says we "can't afford to lose a qualifying campaign" or some other nonsense, well f**king news flash we already lost the first Nations League and the Euro 2020 qualifying campaign because of our last two managers so I'm willing to give this fella a go with the youngsters.

Completely agree. Memories in this country are way too short (look at politics as a prime example). 
For the first time in a long time I looked forward to the Ireland games. Of course I was pi$$ed off with the results but to see a team willing to play a bit of football and seeing young players being given a chance was such a breath of fresh air. 

As you said, we have done feck all in the last NL and the Euro qualifiers so why people would expecting anything different by reverting to same I dont know. 
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 12:58pm

I would agree with this somewhat but by the same token zero goals and zero wins in the first 5 games is not great. It has been good to see us actually play some decent stuff but to be honest I would prefer hoof ball and results a la MON 2015-16 rather than good football and nothing to show for it. I hope we can get the balance right.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 1:04pm
From Richard Dunne:

"I’d love to see us play possession-based football and that we win the game. At the moment, we just haven’t got over the line and finished off the chances we’ve created. I get that there’s a change and a new style we want to get, but it can’t sort of overtake the fact that we need results and for us to progress and qualify. We need results, not performances"

Edited by TooOldForThis - 15 Oct 2020 at 1:05pm
Southstandman View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southstandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 1:13pm
This is the first time I have ever seen Ireland play a passing game and look like they actually trained together  . Far better to watch than some of the mind warping dross we have endured in the past . I would back Kenny to carry on for a few tournaments and see how he does . To the much respected well travelled fans on here I would say dont worry lads , what your seeing from the team is football . What you have become accustomed to is sh*te . Back Kenny and that will encourage the team ,,ok then. 
We are Shamrock Rovers we"re Irelands number 1 .
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

So we are all in agreement then.

Sack Kenny and appoint Dyche.

Sean Dyche grossed £3,952,000 last year , i think includes everything . Pinch
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 2:12pm
It seems to me that some people have actually forgotten how bad we've been for the last few years? 

I remember when we beat Gibraltar 2-0 that there was real frustration about how desperately bad we were in possession of the ball. It actually felt like we lost the game. 

We won the game but it was clear that we were in a terrible mess and the comments on here reflected that.

Contrast that with the Finland game, we lost and its sickening but I feel we're going to get better.

As people have stated, its a results game, but with better performances come better results.

Edited by Left foot - 15 Oct 2020 at 2:13pm
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 2:23pm
The results have been disappointing so far, but the performances have been encouraging. For the first time in ages you can feel optimistic about the future.

And to me, the argument over passing versus long-ball is redundant, because we are passing the ball up the pitch quite well. A long-ball may get the ball forward quicker, but you have a very good chance of losing possession.

We don't have a traditional target man either. So what would be the point of going direct?

Also, long-ball is judged on how many chances you create. But that is not our problem at the moment. Our problem is putting away the chances we make.

So we need to find the right personnel to fill the forward roles.

The criticism of Brady's set-pieces is also something I don't get. He put two corners onto the heads of Doherty and Duffy, and the Duffy chance should have been scored. In other areas of his game he can be a bit mixed, but his set-pieces are still good.

Overall, the team is clearly moving in the right direction. Kenny needs to tweak some things. He doesn't need to revert back to a more direct style in an effort to get results.
Bru View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 2:28pm

Originally posted by Bru Bru wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

So we are all in agreement then.

Sack Kenny and appoint Dyche.

Like the FAI couldn't afford him...  I'm sure the long ball approach would be something you would welcome back with open arms. Wacko

We simply can't go back to the way it was before, the football was toxic and it didn't make us harder to beat or give us a better chance of scoring. Duffy has been our best chance of a goal for a long time.

Playing direct just gave possession of the ball away and put us in the defensive foot.

I agree, It was painful turning up to the Aviva watching that month after month for the past few years. We are creating good chances at the moment instead of these 50-50 crosses and punts up field. Stick with it !!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637>
  Share Topic